Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 06:01:31 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WTF?! Focus Effect Buff?  (Read 6161 times)
Mechules

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:16:10 am »

So today I decided to try and solo my first T2 boss on my pally.

Long story short, I won, and by the luck of the gods, I got my final piece of T2 armor, my gloves.

Now, on my Holy Defender's Gauntlets, there's a Focus Effect of Vampiric Thunder. This Focus Effect states it "Infuses your magical attacks with the power of the dragon, increasing the damage they do by up to 60 percent."

I quickly combined my gloves, equipped 'em, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Ran across the zone to kill the fire tiki real quick to sell lewtz before I took off for work. Popped fire, spawned Ptah, started attacking.....

And then I noticed something. My 3.0 was crit proc'ing a DD of 22k, whereas it used to only be 12k. Imagine my surprise. I was impressed with how quick I was able to take down Ptah, I just /auc'd off all the loots to fcfs and ran around busting up dragons. That's about the time I noticed I had a buff called Vampiric Thunder and the timer on it said 250:48 or however much time was on it. I'm assuming the timer started at 256:00ish, the max time on a buff (I assume). I didn't think anything of it, and just assumed everyone else with T2 gloves was running around with it on. I ported to SFG to take down the elusive Practice Dummy and beat it dead within maybe 6 seconds tops. I was very satisfied.

Until...

I ported into the guild hall to parse some dps real quick. First thing I did (stupidly) was click off all of my buffs, including the Focus Effect buff (which I thought was VERY odd since I've never had a Focus Effect give me a buff before). I wanted to check my dps on the practice dummy in there completely unbuffed before I tried it with full buff bot buffs and self buffs.

I got my unbuffed parse finished, and went to work getting myself buffed up. I checked the gloves again, which have a right-click Customer Service rez, and noticed I couldn't get the buff back up. I tried un-equipping, re-equipping, clicking like crazy, right clicking... anything I could to try to get the buff back up, but nothing!

I asked a few other pallies I knew with T2 gloves and they've never noticed a Focus Effect buff, nor have they noticed doing significantly more damage with them equipped. My crit procs are down to 12k again, and now I'm scratching my brain wondering if this was just some lucky glitch/bug, or if I should be seeing improved damage on my procs.

Brianlb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:43:30 am »

It's an enchanter buff. Sounds like you got a drive by buffing from a friendly enchanter.

Anema, Guild Leader of Explicit Content
barrettd04

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:35 am »

Yea, VT is an enchanter buff that boosts magical effects by 125%.  I randomly cast it on people when I'm on my ench buffing my toons

garybusey - warrior
umadd - pally
wayfaerer - pewpew
rondonald - cleric
obzen - monk
dongus - zerker
dorfkus - pally
ultrabeard - zerker
dopesmoke - drood
djenty - chanter
Mechules

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:41 am »

oh dear god...

partial noobdom there, but I can't be assed to make a chanter for that buff even though it was pretty awesome.

Just wondering why the focus effect shares the same name, and the COINCIDENCE that occurred where I would receive such an item that has the focus effect and get buffed by someone I didn't see with the same buff name.

Gotta admit, that's a damn lucky coincidence.

So VT is a 4+ hour buff?!

PS - Thanks guys for not flaming my lack of knowledge in the Enchanter spell area. I was expecting someone to tell me off for creating a thread based on my ignorance. But yeah, Enchanters lol... Never thought to make one because all I hear is terrible things about them =P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:28:45 pm by Mechules » Logged

Brianlb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:47:00 am »

Yep. It's a nice buff to have. I don't  have a chanter myself but a guildy does.

Does this buff stack w/sorc focus? Can someone confirm? thx

Anema, Guild Leader of Explicit Content
Nebbeny

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:45 am »

Vampiric thunder boosts spell damage, as the gloves said, and they share the same name i assume because enchanters get it as Ancient:Vampiric thunder, and ancient spells are tons better than the normal counterpart.

It stacks with the staff of fluxing power, and so i assume it stacks with sorc charm, pretty sure it doesn't affect anger augs though.  When i cast it with my buff bot it lasts 6 hours, so generally till i die.
Reid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »

Ancient: Vampiric Thunder is a lvl 69 Enchanter buff, and yes IT DOES stack with worn focus effects. There was a time when it didn't, and I mained an Enchanter.  Undecided

BUT ... (you knew that was coming didn't you?) It only affects certain lines of magical damage. Specifically, off the top of my head, NOT targeted ae's (war proc), pbae's (bard songs and wizard bursts), elemental spells (like lure a.k.a. augs.). It DOES affect MAGIC based, or spells flagged as "magic" as well as other types, which includes Paladin 3.0+ Proc and most DD spells.

It's a terribly handy spell for some classes to be buffed with, and is the reason why I <3 enchanters.

Currently Playing:
Spanker Madness, Bard of <Zen>

"The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all worlds; the Pessimist fears it true."

I Just say "I like cookies!", and leave it at that.
Fabdibikya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 05:41:46 am »

Sorry Mechules Cheesy

Clevitsj, Hipster Enchantress Extraordinaire
(I WAS AN ENCHANTER BEFORE THEY WERE COOL)
Mechules

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 09:44:57 am »

Sorry Mechules Cheesy

For what?

LMAO... WAS IT YOU!?!?! Did you drive-by buff me?

walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 12:55:34 pm »

Pretty sure the buffs on 99% of class armors are broken/ineffective most of them say "increased by 0" so you can safely ignore those.

The only ones that really work for sure are the custom charms, and the flux staff..

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6131
  • Latest: appathy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65022
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 246