Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 06:03:02 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Warrior tanking  (Read 12478 times)
sylkkdaskr

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:35:53 am »

So I got a set up of war..clr..pal..brd...rog...i hear war tanking is the way to go...i went from sk to war....both were bot/semi pot geared...i found sk was waaaaay waaay less maintinance than war...i was 3 boxing pot bosses with sk n bard...although I found some trash on the swamp military quarters difficult to manage....so I rolled a pala too....but now I got the new setup I spoke of...and I'm noticing mobs goin down a wee bat faster but I'm constanty having to group hot and sintle heal the war....does.the war really shinelater because so far I'm finding he sk wayy wayy more low maintinance
funkinmofo

Nerf Whiners

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:51:32 am »

war..clr..pal..brd...rog
You are gonna play the maintenance game for a bit with that setup due to the lack of proc healing. With your SK he was self healing all the time. War doesn't self heal at all.
In later game content you need the war for the easy aggro control and damage mitigation (45% reduction with stonewall AA and epic click on 3.5+ weapons) Once you get your pally's oracle charm up past lvl 21 you will see a definite boost to group healing that requires you to use less spells to heal. It will get even better when you get your cleric its 3.5+ as they gain a group heal proc similar to the pally. So if you find yourself micro managing a lot of heals, grind out your pally oracle charm to around level 21 should make a world of difference.

You can tank with an sk, but there is some content that is incredibly difficult if not impossible to accomplish without a war as a tank.
After a ton of trial and error, mixing and matching I ended up with my current group setup. War/pal/pal/monk/rogue/clr. And when i do MCP i even add a second clr just so i can chain divine intervention and cleric stonewall epic clicks when my war stonewalls are both unavailable. Doing MCP is about the only time I have to use any active healing from my cleric. Anything prior to MCP the proc healing from the 2 pally is more than enough.

Adydar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:40 am »

war..clr..pal..brd...rog
. It will get even better when you get your cleric its 3.5+ as they gain a group heal proc similar to the pally.

Hi Funkinmofo,

I was just wondering if this is accurate?  I haven't pulled my cleric out in a long time since I haven't needed him.  When I got my cleric his 3.5, it said on his weapon that it was a clicky heal with a 5 minute refresh.   Is it really a group heal proc now?   That would help out a lot for some fights I still need extra healing on in t4.   I guess I could always pull him out and test it but I usually don't even bother logging him in anymore as it's been a waste of time.

Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »

I have still found nothing on this server that my SK can't tank, including T5 content.  My setup is SK, Pal, Pal, Rng, Bst, Mag.  For MCP I swap out a pally and mage for 2 clerics for chain DI.

I can think of one fight, in particular, that SK or Pally can hands down out tank a warrior on, and that is Kern the Terror.

Yes, you have the ability to gain aggro quickly with warrior, but with spells, and clicky aggro from the assassin's quest staff, I have no trouble gaining and maintaining aggro on my SK.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Bladethorn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 03:22:30 pm »

So I got a set up of war..clr..pal..brd...rog...i hear war tanking is the way to go...i went from sk to war....both were bot/semi pot geared...

I was running with War/Pal/Rog/Mnk (trying to build up on Funkin's recommendation of the WaPaPaRoMkCl) and was having some trouble with the proc heals not coming through as strong as I needed (War & Pal both 1.5'd and a BoT/PoT mix of gear).

I got the new setup I spoke of...and I'm noticing mobs goin down a wee bat faster but I'm constanty having to group hot and sintle heal the war....does.the war really shinelater because so far I'm finding he sk wayy wayy more low maintinance

I went ahead and added a second Pal and had a Mag laying around, so added him in, and seem to be tearing through content with WaPaPaRoMkMg set up.

I realize that eventually I might need a Clr, but with the procs from two Pallys, you definitely won't have to babysit the War as much. I say that, but I am still in the process of gearing up my group in BoT, so haven't tried the bunch on a PoT boss, but the trash goes down quick.

~Guild Pa'ahana~

~Bladethorn, Ironskin, Ironhyde, Stormfade, Redthorne, Redwynd, Xhaidis, Forbid, Vailyn, Aayen, Greyshadow~
sylkkdaskr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

Sorry about the poor quality of my OP. I was posting from my Android and I was at a bar. (how sad, at a bar drinking thinking of EQ). In any case, it seems the need for two pallies for the proc heal to be useful is a common trend. I think the reason my SK was much more less maint, is having the self heals and the pet also wielding fiery.

I suppose in a way I was wanting to break free of the double pally trend while maintaining the ease of healing that I experienced w/ the SK/Pally comp. I think I'm going to go with what I enjoy most, and so far Ive enjoyed SK much more.

Should the time come I absolutely NEED a warrior, my Sk and the rest of the group will be such that I can PL him fairly quickly.

Ty for all the responses.
Tylo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »

ill see ur warrior in pod =P
sylkkdaskr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:31 pm »

lol, perhaps! =)
Temuli

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »

I'm finding warrior tanking adequate so far up to the Qvic level with a paladin to duo with. That's assuming I don't pull more than 3 at once. I've only tackled a couple of the bosses so far though, and there will no doubt be rockier times ahead.

AAs solved my biggest problem to date - Dragonslave - and after I got my 1.5s the 2.0s and 2.5s were easily accomplished.

This is without any RoA levels,  zero charm upgrade on the paladin and Guardian charm #3 on the warrior, so there is plenty more character development for me to pursue before I add a cleric or another paladin.

funkinmofo

Nerf Whiners

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 03:47:24 am »

Sorry about the poor quality of my OP. I was posting from my Android and I was at a bar. (how sad, at a bar drinking thinking of EQ). In any case, it seems the need for two pallies for the proc heal to be useful is a common trend. I think the reason my SK was much more less maint, is having the self heals and the pet also wielding fiery.

I suppose in a way I was wanting to break free of the double pally trend while maintaining the ease of healing that I experienced w/ the SK/Pally comp. I think I'm going to go with what I enjoy most, and so far Ive enjoyed SK much more.

Should the time come I absolutely NEED a warrior, my Sk and the rest of the group will be such that I can PL him fairly quickly.

Ty for all the responses.

Thats the best bet. Play what you find fun, if you feel you are missing something you can always add it later to test. Or its an excuse to grab a friend who already has a class you are thinking about trying. Get them to slot into your group and see how it works out. (saves you the time of levelling/gearing a toon you aren't sure about)
Me, I am lazy and hate multi tasking. So I went with my current setup. I have an SK geared to the teeth but its just far more effort compared to a war when it comes to aggro control.
But being able to swap in whatever is handy and breaks up the tedium. So in a way I am glad I took the time to level and gear at least one of every class. Once your main team is setup I am sure you will probably do the same thing.

Tylo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »

I'm finding warrior tanking adequate so far up to the Qvic level with a paladin to duo with. That's assuming I don't pull more than 3 at once. I've only tackled a couple of the bosses so far though, and there will no doubt be rockier times ahead.

AAs solved my biggest problem to date - Dragonslave - and after I got my 1.5s the 2.0s and 2.5s were easily accomplished.

This is without any RoA levels,  zero charm upgrade on the paladin and Guardian charm #3 on the warrior, so there is plenty more character development for me to pursue before I add a cleric or another paladin.

take the time and farm the points for your paladin to get a lvl 1 oracle, u wont regret it =P
alrazor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:04 am »

Hi Temuli,

I read that AA's solved the problem in taking down dragonslave.  I leveled now also a WAR and PAL to assist my MAG, CLR and BST.  What AA's do I need really for my WAR and PAL ?  So I can focus on this.

Kind regards,
Alrazor
Temuli

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:39 am »

Alrazor,

Pretty much all of the AAs are helpful one way or another. Hard to say specifically which made a difference. By the time I had spent enough time in LDoN to get the master key and the first 8 pages, plus farmed a couple of charm upgrades, I had lots of AAs and suddenly DS was a winnable, though slow, fight.

Tylo, you were so right, a massive improvement with Oracle charm - thanks.
alrazor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 11:11:57 am »

Thanks for the advice Temuli !
 Cheesy Alrazor
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats