Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 03:55:25 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do you remember old EQ?  (Read 6495 times)
Flawless

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:35:33 am »

I have played EQ from the time it had came out till about a year and half ago. I have also played WoW (now i think about it god awful game). The reason I am posting this thread is for anyone that played EQ back in the day!

Have you noticed on MMO's today how the people that play are not the same? I mean, back when I first started playing EQ in 1999, the type of people that played was different. Everyone was very helpful, the community acted like a community and not a 10 year old middle-school lunch room! What I’m getting at is, what happened to this? I remember back when I played a Necro on EQ live, there was this camp in HHK, call the nobles and bards. Well ALL Necros camped it at one point in time on their way to the top. I remember one time when I was coming to camp the Nobles. Well there was a player already at the came I asked him how long he was going to be and to let me know when he was done. He informed me that there was two others in front of me and he had their names written down on paper. I shrugged and he took my name down and I went on my way, shortly later that day I received a tell from a person telling me it was my turn and the camp was mine.

This never happens in MMO's anymore. I mean like camp checks, the only MMO I have ever seen with a Camp check is EQ. I asked that once in wow and people thought I was a fucking dumbass, but I try to be as respectful to people as much as possible. I just want to know where the good old days went to? I see people helping one another in this game all the time without any want for cash or something in return. I believe that is what makes a great experience for the game and for people’s time on the server!  Shocked

To many people now adays are just rude and dicks!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:41:42 am by Flawless » Logged
funkinmofo

Nerf Whiners

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:03:36 am »

Access to information. Thats what killed most MMO community interaction.

Back in the early days of EQ, you couldn't simply google your way through everything. People used information as power, as it was a hot commodity. Thats why you were driven to go out of your way to talk to "strangers" and join groups. Not just to level up, but to possibly gather new intel. I still remember my early days on EQ and how I would have to screw on my courage to send a tell to a higher level player asking him if they minded answering a question about *insert class here*

While I was never fond of those certain guilds "lording" information over everyone else, I could understand their desire for secrecy. But these days that doesn't even exist anymore as it is too easy to google or wiki an answer for just about any situation on any given MMo past and present.

I think back on the good ol days of MMO communication and interaction from time to time. These days you are pretty much guaranteed to find too many of the "me first now now now" generation of players populating damn near every type of MMO available.
Thank god for instances is all i can say. It isn't too hard to find people who are fond of the good ol days too. And once you find them, keep in touch!

fulton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:00:45 am »

Although everyone hated XP loss it added some strategy to the game.

Adventuring into a new dungeon had risks, and it meant forming a group. And many times that meant just inviting other people who may be nearby if they want to try this or that location.

In today's MMoRPGs you can run in and if you die then oh well, no big deal.

And while everyone always wants the coolest gear, there was a sense of pride and prestige when you got that rare item. You worked for your stuff. In many of the newer games you just kill the mob a few times and now everyone in the group has the item.

I still remember the adventures questing for my Soulfire, or when I got my Ghoulsbane. I remember like it was yesterday when I won the RBB off Vox.

Instant gratification doesn't make for long term memories.
Thyl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:25:58 am »

A lot of good points in here.

My friends and I have between us have played a ton of MMOs and have often discussed what made original EQ such a good game. A couple of my thoughts:

XP Death - This added risk of loss to the game and therefore enhanced the sense of achievement. It also made players become more adept at the game because you couldn't progress if you were not knowledgable about your class/game.

Necessity of grouping -  Many classes could solo but you really had to do some grouping to get good gear and get to the end game. This is not the case in WoW and other MMOs and because of that you have selfish people who are unable to play the game and interract with other people.

Lack of direction - While this could be frustrating to people now, not having every step of the way plotted out for you forced you to discover things on your own and was more imersive.  Even noob zones often had a high level creature wandering around that could stomp you. As another poster mentioned the lack of information contributed to people having to play the game and talk to other people instead of just reading up online.

I think WoW is an extremely polished game in the sense it's programmed well and has a lot of detail to facilitate ease of use. However too much time has been spent dumbing the game and the player base down.

The difficulty of travel was another thing I enjoyed about EQ1. Traveling really felt like taking a journey and the world wasn't so easily accessible as a bell click to get anywhere like in EQ2.

Thyl - Warrior                Hiryu - Ranger
Turbulance - Rogue       Opmeter - Paladin
Epox - Druid                  Traximus - Paladin
Tecon - Enchanter
Atmax - Wixxor
Erigark - Cleric
Phasin - Mage
Flawless

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:41:27 pm »

Even though EQ itself was only a game, I believe I made good friends while playing EQ. Most of my RL friends played and I made a lot of great memories along the way. Even with the new MMO's out there I still find myself thinking about the good old days of EQ from time to time.

I love the fact that you could camp something for hours and still not get the item you want. I love the gratification of camping an item for hours and finally getting it. I remember when I camped the Jboots in the OOT. I camped it for over 57 hours(give or take), in about two and half sittings. (this was when i was in-school still and no cares in the world lol). When I finally got the AC to spawn and got the ring, that my friends was one of the best things. The accomplishment I felt was awesome. Plus having a clicky to spam in EC Tunnel to piss people off was good too lol!  Grin
whatzizface

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »

EQ for me was running around with friends and family sharing great exploits of stupidity and folly. Raiding for days at a time and getting nothing out of it besides the memories. One of my favorite memories is sitting in shadowhaven after a raid getting smashed in RL while working on our alcohol tolerances in the game. Great idea's of stupid things to try came out of those long nights talking with friends.
 Here on EZ i have found great people also that share my same intrest. So "old EQ" was great, But "new EZ" has the same qualitys, Friends. Thats what makes the game for me.

Flawless

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:33:07 pm »

One of my favorite memories is sitting in shadowhaven after a raid getting smashed in RL while working on our alcohol tolerances in the game.

Good one!  Shocked One of my good funny moments on EQ live was making a Ogre and his name was DoorStopper, i took him to PoK and found the bank. I waited for a ton of people to go in, i went inside the doorway and sat down. At this point no one could get in or out  Embarrassed but it was funny, well until a gm came and ported my lvl 1 ogre to Fear...
Reako66

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:49:40 am »

My favorite time was when they Put in the PVP server and in Gfay at the Wood Eld City. There was over a hundred wood elves and the ground around the guards was covered in bodies. This one Wood elf girl had a fine steel two-handed sword, myself and two buddies would not kill her. After 5 hours I got level 3.
Bladethorn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:37 am »

Faydark and Crushbone were always a favorite of mine.. Just the progression of hitting Pawns and random cents. Moving over to the Hill and then the rush of running up to the Crushbone entrance, seeing all the people on the Faydark side, either getting ready to jump in.. or having just fled the zone with a few Legionnaires on their tail. Getting in and camping a spot on the "wall" or getting lucky and grouping up in the throneroom on the table. Had nothing to do with loot, just pure grouping and hanging with people - both old timers and folks new to the game.

~Guild Pa'ahana~

~Bladethorn, Ironskin, Ironhyde, Stormfade, Redthorne, Redwynd, Xhaidis, Forbid, Vailyn, Aayen, Greyshadow~
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)