Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:22:57 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Suggested interesting enemy abilities that aren't 15 minute root or DT  (Read 7409 times)
Griz

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:48:40 am »

After playing here a while, I have thought of some ideas that would be fun to fight, instead of the 50-100 million+ hp tank and spank slugfests that are most of the bosses.

Single target Blind + Tank hate wipe

Teleport people a short distance away, into another room, like Trakanon Touch or the one used by the last dude in Txevu.

A debuff with a certain number of counters (probably needs to be 2 slots of 99 counters) that it shouldn't be instantly cured, but you can't keep proc healing and accidentally remove it. This spell should either do something bad when removed, or provide a critical buff to survive part of a fight. Yeah it might make SKs favored for one boss, but people can use single target cleric/druid/shaman heals and the paladin epic click to survive it. Example: Boss summons a bunch of adds that hit ridiculously hard, but debuff provides huge mitigation for a short duration or something so that it's survivable.

A charm that also gives a proc to the charmed player, like an AoE or a knockback or stun or something hilarious.

A debuff cast on the tank which heals the boss when the tank is struck (basically mark of emperors, numbers would need tuning). Basically the idea is to encourage a tank swap.

Adds that you DON'T want to AoE, because they explode for large (100k+) damage when they die. Ideally, they would not spawn under the boss, but instead come from a doorway of the boss's room or something, and you have a paladin or SK pick them up and offtank them.

A boss that gives a warning, then roots himself and fires off a huge aoe shortly after. Players need to run out of range of it to not get one shot.

Zombie adds that proc a debuff that aoes nearby friendly targets and reduces healing received by the affected player, the adds need to be killed by ranged damage to avoid the debuff.

Not sure this is doable, but a boss periodically buffing himself with a 90% or something buff that needs to be removed, with adds that drop an item that you can click on the boss to dispel it. The boss's buff would most likely have to be beneficial with counters, with the click being detrimental with counter removal.

This is just a start. I wouldn't mind shorter, more chaotic fights. I think they would be a lot more fun than pounding away as an earth elemental while watching Netflix, hitting dread gaze when my audio trigger for "HELP!" goes off.
Pukagiz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:57:19 pm »

i actually think this was one of the funnest most chaotic raids (in appropriate gear) possibly ever (aside from some of the MPG trial raids)

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4767

the viral dot was a killer and blocked alot of people / guilds from progressing past a certain point until it was changed and made easier of course...
marxist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4223

best eq raid ever imo
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:20:30 am »

I don't think we can expect any fancy scripting on an emu server, I was just suggesting some simple stuff that would be more interesting than every mob aoe rooting.
Pukagiz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:46 am »

yeah but i hated all the orange in Solt....soooo i'll never bring that name or any of the encounters up....EVER....after months of raiding there i simply loathed the color orange...i stopped wearing orange, i developed a severe case of orange color blindness (in which case i could see every other color except orange), i stopped eating oranges, i stopped drinking orange juice (too bad because a screwdriver was one of my favorite drinks), and i even went as far as stopped talking to orange people (you know those people with the really bad spray on tans)....all of this because of that zone! anyways.....

(i hope that you know that i'm kidding) but for real....Solteris sucks....and so does the orangeness of it....
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »

The exploding adds wouldn't be overly hard, assuming the effect I have in mind is ACTUALLY working.

Another thing that could be used to be a complete bastard is a debuff that has a recourse or "OnFade" effect to recast itself. Possibly something doing trivial damage per tick, but pretty severe damage when it "recasts" itself. (CurrentHPOnce and then stacking counter w/ DoT). Letting it tick would be preferably, but accidentally cleansing will cause that small self-only punch in the nuts.

-Hate

EDIT: I am not fond of the idea of tank swapping, mainly because not everyone runs (or likes to run) 15 plates. I understand this is a personal choice, but I would not like to see it become an assumed "Gotta have 2 tanks for everything" type of deal.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:39:45 pm by hateborne » Logged

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:49:50 pm »

Well, it doesn't have to be a hard tank swap, just something that screws with aggro or makes your tank temporarily lose it. DT is the ultimate extreme example of requiring  multiple tanks unless you super outgear the content to the point where your monk or whatever can tank the boss for a while.

Honestly I'd like to see a boss that spawns adds somewhere other than on top of the boss, so you have to be watching for them coming from somewhere instead of just hoping angers and whatever pick them up from the pile of crap you're tanking.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 439