Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:26:26 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Poll
Question: Which client do you use?
Titanium (Jan 2006)
Secrets of Faydwer (Nov 2007)
Seeds of Destruction (Oct 2008)
Underfoot (Dec 2009)
House of Thule (Oct 2010)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Client Poll  (Read 12336 times)
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 05:33:49 am »

ya except SoD is a PITA to find and i cant seem to find a copy anywhere near me and ordering online is kinda not possible for me
Trevius
EQEmu Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 06:53:33 am »

Hunter, if you make the content and give incentive to make the switch, people will start moving over fairly quickly.  My server is nearly half SoF+ zones now, which is why almost all of my players run SoD or UF.  And those that don't currently run it normally upgrade to it shortly after joining the server.

For people who box a ton of characters, they may prefer Titanium over SoD, as SoD uses considerably more memory.  But for people who don't box a large number of chars, the SoD client is great.  Even for the big boxers, they can always make the upgrade from Titanium to Underfoot, as UF handles memory better than any other client and may be even better than Titanium for boxing.

For details of the features on the newer clients, check the wiki here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=ClientFeatures

Between the great new features on the newer clients and adding new content for them, I don't think you will have much trouble changing the output of your #cvs command to show dwindling Titanium numbers Smiley

Kovou,

You can't get SoD from stores as it was never made for retail.  Anything past SoF is Digital Download only.  You also can't purchase SoD anymore, but you can get the Underfoot client from Steam.

For anyone purchasing the download from Steam, keep in mind that all of the EQ downloads there are the SAME client.  So, if you buy the HoT client, you get the same thing as if you had bought the UF client for much less.  Also, keep in mind that a new expansion, VoA, is planned to come out soon, which means Steam will probably be updating their download soon.  Once that happens, the new client will not be compatible with EQEmu.  Hopefully the devs will be able to get the new client compatible and as playable as the other clients, but it will take time to do that as it is a ton of work.

So, if you get the Steam download for the UF client, do it soon and then make sure to move your EQ folder out of your Steam folder so it won't update it and break your EQ!
Camric

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 07:33:22 am »

I have personally witness the graphics and newer content on other servers which is impressive.  Would love to see the same here on EZ and encourage other players to upgrade their client.  I typically run 6 to 10 toons on Hot with no issues.

Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:02 am »

I can run 14 clients on SoD, and I can say that the features of the client make game play easier.  I would love to see new content.

G

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:15:53 pm »

Quick question, after downloading UF or HoT, since they are the same download, do I need to patch with live to get the version I want, then move it out to a back up folder? Or is the default download all we need, and don't patch with live? Also, I heard UF client had a lot of missing files, not sure which, maybe zone files. Anyways, if this is true, does patching fix it?

I've got Titanium and SoF on disc, and I've got SoD from when it was first released on Steam, with a clean copy backup of it. I just recently got UF and HoT only to find out its the same download, so I'm trying to figure out what to do after downloading that UF/HoT from steam, patch or no? Missing files or no?

As always, thanks so much for your help Trevius.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 06:23:24 pm »

You don't patch the client you're going to play on eqemu with.

To make Underfoot complete you need some files from another client.  There's a list here: http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=UFMissingFilesList

One way to get the most up to date files is to patch a copy of the game to live and use those files to replace the missing or incomplete files.  Just make sure that isn't your only copy since patching will make it not usable on eqemu.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:00 pm »

Thats what I needed to know. After downloading UF then make a copy of it somewhere else say C:\EQEMU_UF\ then patch the Steam version and then add/replace the listed files.

Will probably have to make a post about it some where sticky so everyone can grab it. I'm sure $20 wont hurt the wallet that much for everyone to upgrade, and just 1 copy of it would run all their boxes.

Thanks!

Hunter

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Trevius
EQEmu Developer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 01:37:18 am »

Hunter,

If you are adding some content for the newer clients, you might want to take a look at the PEQ repo that has spawn collects for almost all of the newer zones.  It is located here:

http://www.peqtgc.com/logs/

You probably want to review them before submitting each of them, but in most cases they should be pretty safe to run without causing any conflicts in your database (depending on ID ranges you are using for the relative tables).

This will populate most of the newer zones for you so you can save time and not have to do spawns or pathing much at all.  You still need to adjust NPC stats, add loot, etc, but at least the spawns will all be there.  Makes it quite a bit easier customizing the new content.

I don't know when the last time you updated items, but you may want to check out the PEQ items table and source it on top of your existing items table to give all of the new items that have been added over the years.  As long as you remove the delete table part, it should only source item IDs that don't already exist in your DB.  As always, make sure to backup beforehand in case something goes wrong.  I know your items are highly custom in most cases, but the new items might provide a nice base to work from if you don't create yours all from scratch.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 01:55:34 am »

Thanks very much Trevius!

The spawning thing will be a great time saver.

Also, we have a LOT of custom items taking up a lot of item ids, so I'd have to find a way of having them not conflict with each other. Maybe figure out some super query to copy from table A to table B where name doesn't exist, then change the item id to a certain range. At least it'll help with being able to summon new items to look at, to help add to new custom content.

So much to do, and so little time!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Trevius
EQEmu Developer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:07 am »

If you only run the inserts, you can do them on top of your existing items without it changing anything that already exists.  The inserts that already exist will just error, but as long as you set it to continue on errors, it will just add any new ones that don't have the ID number already used in your table.  Yeah, you would be missing items from Live that you have made custom IDs using the same ID, but you would still probably get the majority of items added from Live, which would be tens of thousands of new items for you most likely.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 158