Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 12, 2024, 01:10:25 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Super Typhoon  (Read 35993 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 06:11:24 pm »

If the stores about Xbox One are true, that you have to run the Kinect, then I probably won't get one, not even if its free. A required camera in my living room is sort of a deal breaker on gaming.

The kinect just has to report. Download the SDK and the documentation on it...then disassemble it. It only needs certain components to register it as "active". Break it down so only the necessary evils are there and the rest is nonfunctional.

Or simply take it out back and hold it next to some ungodly powerful earth magnet with coiled cable.

>:-)

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2013, 02:13:37 am »

Some good tips Hateborne. I'd like to try the Xbox One but without any camera. Not sure how to disable it and still able to play games. Don't you have to use it just to turn it on and get started? I'd have to do some more research on it.

Anyways, power here is out again right now. I'm using my generator for the first time, will see how long it last so I can calculate the cost per hour to run it. So right now I only have air conditioner and computer running. Hope regular power comes on soon, generator going to get expensive.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2013, 03:28:56 am »

Will it run on alcohol? Most generators will. Using scrap vegetable matter you can yield a fuel that will do nicely, and its very cheap to make after the initial investment of hardware. Pretty sure, too, theres a lot of sugar cane scrap in many areas around you, and thats about the best thing you can use to make fuel.

Just an idea. If you can get the scrap cheap enough, and if water and distilling heat are cheap enough it could save you a ton of money.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 03:32:23 am »

Unsure where things stand there now, but last time I was in Manilla (late 80's) there were more than a few buses and trucks using at least a heavy alcohol blend, and many using 100% alcohol.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 06:41:38 pm »

Not sure if it will run on alcohol, probably will but I don't want to break it.

We're using unleaded now, per instruction manual. Also says we can use regular if octane is at least 85.

We've had no power for 1 day, and is expected to last for at least 1 week of no power.

Generator been running about 90 minutes now and we're already charging 6 cell phones for family and neighbors. The first few were free of charge, family only, but now everyone showing up at our door cause they can hear our generator.

The generator is not hooked up to our utility lines. We ran in a separate new power line from the generator to our air conditioner, and from there I have extension cords and multi outlets to charge the phones, and run laptop.

Because many people are starting to show up to recharge their phones, we're going to have to start charging pesos for the recharge of phone. We're running out of outlets for the phones here lol. Right now we're charging very low and don't even come close to breaking even on cost of gas. If I wanted to be a dick, I could charge what they do in the city to recharge mobile phones and then I'd break even on gas. Anyways, how much power does it take to recharge a mobile phone anyways, 5-10 watt? Just a guess, haven't checked yet.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 06:58:29 pm »

More and more neighbors showing up to recharge their cell phones.

My house is starting to look like a mobile phone store.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Eruditeone

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 07:22:13 pm »

Its illegal here, but if you have a 220v outlet on the generator, you can put 2 male ends on a 220v dryer cord, plug one into the generator, and 1 into the dryer outlet on the wall. TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER TO THE HOUSE BEFORE DOING THIS! It will backfeed the house with electricity, making running your phones, A/C, etc, MUCH easier and without extension cords. You can do it with 110v too, but wont be able to power as many things. Generally 220v items pull half as many amps as 110v items do.

After living in Florida for 13 years, Ive picked up on things during hurricanes lol.

Also, before anyone says it isnt safe, generators have fuse relays, and houses have breakers, so you shouldnt be able to overdraw and burn the house down. I trust my house wiring more than an extension cord.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2013, 07:36:48 pm »

Its amazing how much confidence I have driving a bit 18-wheeler and yet so timid on electrical stuff.

I think I misread your post about the dry cord, was thinking you meant plug it into a dryer, but you mean just the cord. Yeah, I guess I could backfeed the house with main breaker off.

Generator is 220v and has optional 110v as well.

We have 1 or 2 wall outlets per room but yea we need multi outlet to run all the phones being recharge. More and more neighbors keep showing up, word is getting around. Might have to go to the city for more multi outlet adaptors.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Fuzzypoodle

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2013, 06:14:17 am »

He's right about back feeding through the dryer plug.  Just get a #10 cord(long enough and #10 cord will handle 30amps) and add a dryer plug to one end and then a male plug that fits your generator 220v socket.  Make sure you MAIN BREAKER IS OFF.  That is how peeps in the US plow their transformers and geny when the power is turn back on hence its illegal in the states to do that.  As far as all the cell phones, just use the 120 outlets on the geny (minus family of course) and that's all you can do also you wont be stealing as much from your house needs off the 220 side.  If you need more outlets for that just make your own outlet boxes.

Glad to see you and your family are ok and getting by. Its awesome when I hey level 1 all over again and mid pulls.  ) 
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2013, 05:54:46 am »

Although power been out for maybe 5 days now and we have a generator, the internet stopped working maybe 4 days now.

Main power just came on now. Rumors is cause of local elections tomorrow.

Have lots of emails to go through, hopefully internet and power last long enough to read/reply them all.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Skitzy

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2013, 10:09:29 am »

I must say Hunter, I'm quite impressed that even with all that's going on and the limited power, you're still able to find/make the time to reply to e-mail and keep up/check in with the server.

You do a great job running things here. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thank you, we really appreciate all of your hard work

- Skittzy
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2013, 04:12:44 am »

Thanks.

Power just went out again, and internet typically goes out 12-24 hours after the power goes. Our phone lines seem to go dead, which is odd, I thought they were different from power lines.

Still haven't wired the generator to the circuit breaker yet. Just bought a transfer switch today, hoping to install tomorrow.

Fun fun over here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:18:00 am by Hunter » Logged

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2013, 06:41:58 am »

Things finally starting to get back to normal here, as they previously promised to happen by Dec 24th:

http://www.philstar.com/region/2013/12/19/1269877/chatto-bohol-biz-returning-normalcy

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65035
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 86
  • Online Ever: 8678