Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 03:22:52 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Installed 8 gb corsair vengence 1600mhz ram stick?!  (Read 6538 times)
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:25:22 am »

Ok guys installed a new ramstick in today.  Now I have these issues...say I have 24gb of ram but on 16 is usable.  I have Windows 7 Home 64 bit. I can only install 3 (not 4) sticks because heatsink/fan are so large....any ideas?  I read to go to msconfig and uncheck # of processors and maximum memory...pics of what I am saying will follow (if file sizes aren't too big) well going to have to wait for son to get home to use his iphone...cant crop the pics down small enough to fit the 800kb size
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:28:05 am by Orthanos » Logged

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:41 am »

It's most likely dual channel memory, meaning you can only add a pair of sticks at a time. Time to get a smaller heatsync for you CPU.
Blurring

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:29:10 pm »

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7
Windows 7 Home Premium   16 GB

Blarr!
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 01:12:44 pm »

wtf so no way to go over 16 gb?!  Huh
Is there a way to upgrade from home premium to professional?
Also found if I turned the fan 90 degrees that I can have access to all my ram slots (not that it seems to be doing me any good at this point) DOH!  Shocked
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:15:01 pm by Orthanos » Logged

munga

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »

If you scroll up on the link you can see that Windows 10 has a RAM limit of 128GB.
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 02:35:44 pm »

THANKS MUNGA!  I was searching "Does Windows 10 allow more than 16GB ram" on google after I found that you can no longer use Windows Update Anytime feature on windows 7 now....and Windows 10 is free!  Now I just need to try to figure out how to keep from getting the black screen when I update to Windows 10...thinking of removing my Nvidea graphics card and uninstalling the driver and connecting the monitor to the integrated graphics plug....Maybe that way it wont give me hardward or driver conflicts when I upgrade.... Huh

Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:02:16 pm »

THANKS MUNGA!  I was searching "Does Windows 10 allow more than 16GB ram" on google after I found that you can no longer use Windows Update Anytime feature on windows 7 now....and Windows 10 is free!  Now I just need to try to figure out how to keep from getting the black screen when I update to Windows 10...thinking of removing my Nvidea graphics card and uninstalling the driver and connecting the monitor to the integrated graphics plug....Maybe that way it wont give me hardward or driver conflicts when I upgrade.... Huh
You can use the windows 10 download and do a fresh install but only after you have upgraded your windows 7 to 10 for free.
So if you do the upgrade and then have the pack window I am wondering if  afresh install would work.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »

Well I have tried uninstalling my gpu (and removing anything with Nvidea) I have tried loading it all onto a thumb drive...I have tried downloading everything (and then RIGHT before my desktop goes black) pulling up Explorer and going to ASRocks website and downloading ALL drivers for my Z75 Pro3 mother board and restarting...spent countless hours on the phone with Microsoft to try to get Windows 10 installed...I am at my wits end on it...the only driver that ASRock didn't have an update for was for XFast USB (which I believe is the program loading after windows attempts to startup that is crashing the desktop....only thing I can think of is to take it to someone and have them get Windows 10 installed on it.  Sucks after spending a couple hundred bucks to upgrade hardware (which is what we had determined to be causing Windows 10 to not install initially)  Undecided

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:01:42 am »

Dunno if you've done this, I would guess you may have after talking to Microsoft. But what I did to get win 10 was install win7 x64 ( prolly works same for x32 but you would have ram restrictions,) activate and installed drivers for everything. Dloaded drivers for win10 and put on seperate partition or thumb drive ( your lan driver is most importaint for this, but I would do all mobo and video drivers too.)

Then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Dload the tool (x64 for me)

Let it download, then click it open and it will lead you through the upgrade. If you do it any other way it will not upgrade for free, from what I found.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:00:54 pm »

Oh I got the free download (and saved it on a thumb drive too) but keep getting a black screen...have tried for a week to get it to work w/o any luck...just going to take it somewhere and get someone else to do it...the idiots who work at Microsoft piss me off too much to stay on the phone with any longer hehehe I just don't have the patience to deal with the guy from India named "Bob" or "James T."

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061