Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:43:46 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Winter  (Read 12773 times)
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:49 pm »

-9 right now, with wind chill down to -37.  Shocked

Took me three and half hours to clear my driveway and 2 other neighbors with my tractor and snow thrower. Official snow fall was 17" with drifts as high as 48' (taller then my dog) and cold ass all hell in Flint Michigan.

I hope that's a typo...  drifts as high as 48 feet?

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Fjord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:16 pm »

I'm from the south and basically my winter clothes consist of a fleece jacket, but have a heavier one if it gets down to around 0, normally it doesn't.

That's my strategy. I typically don't do more than a fleece or running gloves unless I'm skiing or tailgating at a football game. 
Nexxel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 09:40:48 pm »

-9 right now, with wind chill down to -37.  Shocked

Took me three and half hours to clear my driveway and 2 other neighbors with my tractor and snow thrower. Official snow fall was 17" with drifts as high as 48' (taller then my dog) and cold ass all hell in Flint Michigan.

I hope that's a typo...  drifts as high as 48 feet?

Oops  Shocked hehe yea 48" though...the end of my neighbors house is drifted over from house to fence line (15-20 ft away) to the peak of his house. Got a pic should upload it somwhere.. peak im guessing is 16ft from ground to top of roof as he has a 10ft ceiling in his garage.

I have no idea what hes goin to do, theres 2 windows on that side of the house and you cant see them, .. luckyly its the opisate end that has the gardage..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:42:44 pm by Nexxel » Logged
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »

You all should start posting more pictures of this winter storm!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 09:56:30 pm »

Record lows all around the world. I guess it has to do with the polar vortex (kind of a slow moving artic cyclone several hundred miles wide) drawing air and strong winds south. And, of course, the Warmist fanatics are quick to blame global war.....errrr, climate cha.....ummm, damn, sorry....ManbearPig.

He's out there, and he hates you.

So wear a sweater.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
huffdady

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »

Stupid question, but do people in the south even have winter supplies? Hat? Gloves? Coat?

That is a negative good sir,
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »

Stupid question, but do people in the south even have winter supplies? Hat? Gloves? Coat?

That is a negative good sir,

In Knoxville (previously Chattanooga) TN, no I do not. We've had such weak and mild winters for the past several years, that almost none of my family (at least siblings) have decent ultra cold weather coats.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Denzig

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 04:37:11 am »

In Carolina they've delayed school opening for 3 hours this morning...because it's 17 degrees. No ice, no snow, just cold. Funny to me (a transplanted NYer).

Denzig <STONE>
Adidis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 05:17:00 am »

In Carolina they've delayed school opening for 3 hours this morning...because it's 17 degrees. No ice, no snow, just cold. Funny to me (a transplanted NYer).

This sounds like insanity to me. I'm fairly certain I went to school when it was -20 out as a kid (Not that I'm that old). I guess different states are just different and in Alaska we are the craziest.
Tankdan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:04 am »

67-62-63-68-66 degrees this week according to Weather Channel

Such is life in California.  One of the ONLY good things about this state.

Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 06:54:23 am »

We had a 2 hour delay but the "feels like temp is -10 to -20 with the wind chill" Don't want kids waiting for buses in that i suppose, and lots of black ice.
Eruditeone

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 08:31:24 am »

Its 9:30am on the central east coast of Florida, and it is 33*, 25* with the wind chill. Working outside in the afternoon/night suuuucccckkkkksssss. Was in the 20s over night, the high today; 45*, then back to below freezing tonight.
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 12:38:33 pm »

they close schools bases on what people are prepared for... if you live in Alaska (I have) you are generally ready for winter (have winter clothes)....ifyou live in Georgia your winter cloths probably consist of jeans and a sweatshirt...possibly a hoddie....you are not ready to be out in the 20 degree weather...that is why...

Goth

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:47 pm »

I live the GTA ... (Greater Toronto Area) Canada, it was -27 with the windchill of -40 this morning when i got up.

I'm not sure how to post pics ... I emailed Hunter a picture of the walk way beside my house about 2 weeks ago of the ice storm we had then. Our power was out for 5 days from that ... thankfully it was restored Christmas Eve

maybe Hunter can post the pic for me
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 05:03:05 pm »

South central Mississippi stayed under freezing for 72 hours, being i work outside doing plumbing, it definitely was colder than most people anticipated. We are still backed up with work almost a half a week after things started thawing out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6131
  • Latest: appathy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65020
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 209