Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 03:47:25 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Instances Rollover  (Read 12745 times)
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 05:07:51 am »

DBI seems to be more reliable than qglobals, for example our Trivia Bot runs off DBI.

I've been using quest gobals to create the instances ... then when I want to find the instance to send a player there I use DBI ... so far seems pretty reliable .. just gotta lag test it with a bunch of boxes loaded lol

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 05:12:39 am »

ahh you set the global the normal way, but reading the global via DBI? So we're sort of using both?

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Camric

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 05:28:16 am »

Looking at what Akkadius shared, I see a delete function, but is there a clean up procedure or service to remove expired instances from the table?   Keeping the tables clean will ensure the queries are efficient and lessen the need to create indexes.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »

Looking at what Akkadius shared, I see a delete function, but is there a clean up procedure or service to remove expired instances from the table?   Keeping the tables clean will ensure the queries are efficient and lessen the need to create indexes.

I'm working on trying to do just that. I am having issues with the logging on my server stopping for no apparent reason, which is making it harder to test. When I get home, I will continue my faceroll.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »

try #logs quest

Can see which line number has errors or warnings while doing a #reloadquest or hailing npc.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »

try #logs quest

Can see which line number has errors or warnings while doing a #reloadquest or hailing npc.

Sexy. I will try that when I get home (~6-7pm EST) and see what I can do.

-Hate

Camric

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »

If you don't mind sharing the code Hate, I'd like to have a look at what you have.

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 11:35:30 am »

Probably Camric.

First day in a bit that I have been able to work on it again. Thanks to Hunter's post, making headway on it again.

Not going to promise or "present" anything yet, as it's a bit soon. That being said, looking at group/guild/raid instances. Group instances are essentially the "throwaway" instance. Guild instances last the longest. Raid instance is likely going to be the most commonly used. I'm trying to set the raid instance up to allow the raid in and then (hopefully) allow invites.

Anywho, back to work.

-Hate

Fliker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »

What's repop on t6?

Raid instance should be close to that imho.
Mattnaik

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »

Group instances are 5k, they can just buy one of those. If they can't afford 5k, they can go kill 4 mobs in velks.

Except you can't create a group instance unless you are in a group. It yells at you when you attempt to create one. A minor inconvenience to log on an alt and invite them to group just to spawn the instance but removing the check if you were in a group would be better IMO.

Hulkmad
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »

What's repop on t6?

Raid instance should be close to that imho.

Repop time: 3 days.

I was looking at setting 5 days for guild, 24h for raid, and 6-12 for group. Obvious subject to change, but I cannot see anyone outside of a guild actually waiting the 3 days to redo instance. Leaving it up and active I could see for those slowly clearing through, but the two biggest things that I am trying to tackle are instance reliability (a.k.a existing 5 minutes from now...) and efficient instance transitions (invites without reforming).

If there is a maximum number of instances that can be created in the server code, we need to minimize the number created. Having a ton of orphaned raid instances won't help this at all. I am trying to find creative ways to tie these to players over play sessions, but it's slow going. I am trying to avoid having a giant array loop run each time to update/remove members from raid/guild instances as it's going to get sluggish across 30+ waypoint npcs.

Will update more as I have time.

-Hate

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 12:56:20 pm »

did this poll work?

yes
no

edit: i swear i clicked cancel on this thread, thus the no poll.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

fail?

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »

did this poll work?

yes
no

edit: i swear i clicked cancel on this thread, thus the no poll.

no clue what this was..

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »

Due to pretty hellish time constraints for the next month or so, I will be unable to continue any form of serious testing. I can still write up things, but I will be unable to test in any form until like March(ish).

As such, I am dumping the little bit that I had from the new instance system that I was trying to work on. Maybe Akkadius, lerxst2112, Paldail, and/or Felony can finish and test this out.

THE FOLLOWING IS INCOMPLETE!
http://hateborne.com/ezserver/debug/Incomplete%20Instances.zip

There are three files in the archive: waypoint.pl, waypoint_assistant.pl, and instance_table.sql

The waypoint.pl contains the actual waypoint quest script. This handles all the heavy lifting.

The waypoint_assistant.pl contains a "sweeper" script to be attached to some static npc in a static zone (cannot be instanced). It runs through every so often and cleans the instance table. It needs to also delete the instances from the builtin instance store using the quest::DestroyInstance (if applicable).

The instances_table.sql is the SQL file to build the table in the database. This is where the new system would be storing the instance records. I am trying to use DB over QGlobals as there is no refresh period or funky rain dance associated with DB calls. The data either exists or doesn't.

I'm sorry to go and be a spoilsport, but I simply don't have the time. I don't even really play games at the moment. Undecided

-Hate

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 110