Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 02:11:27 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: UPS & VS Advice  (Read 12599 times)
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »

20 amps btw is 2400 watts at 120 volts (watts = amps x volts), to draw that much on a single circuit you'd need to have multiple space-heaters or microwave ovens or something... VERY unlikely that computers/TVs etc will get near that, unless we are talking 3 huge plasma TVs, several computers, half a dozen LCD monitors, etc...

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »

Yeah, I got a lot going on in my living room, so I'm going to put my new system on a new circuit with UPS. My dad was the one that told me we got 20 amp circuits and its 120 x amp = watt so yeah, thanks for confirming what he told me.

I went ahead and bought "P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor" already. Thanks for the tip.

Starting to feel comfortable protecting my investment, on new circuit, UPS, AntiVirus programs, air can to dust insides, and just got an ion air filter for the room to keep the dust level down. Usually I only need to dust the place 1-2x per year at most.

Thanks for advise and feed backs.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 02:36:41 pm »

The best thing you can do is get a case with dust filters on all the inlets, and clean them once a month or so.  The case I got has filters on the front but not for the side inlet/video card fan, so I got one of these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811988015

Those ion things only make the dust stick to any and all surfaces in your home.  It does take it out of the air though...  Real dust filters are much better (like one with a fan and a filter) they actually remove the dust.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:45:16 pm by walk2k » Logged

Costa

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »

As far as the antivirus goes, you need to keep in mind that what was once good doesn't always stay that way.

There was a time when McAffee was one of the best on the market. Since then, they've become the Fox News of antivirus software. Norton then took over as king of the hill and once they became popular and widespread, took their foot off the gas and just lost their cutting edge. Kapersky, from what I hear, is among the best these days. Solid protection and very stable.

The rest of the tools you've mentioned are probably in the e-toolkit of anyone who knows how to take care of their computer, but they tend to really be of any use once you actually have a problem.

The ABSOLUTE best way to avoid virii on your computer is to not let anybody else use it. And know what you're clicking.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:32 pm »

I've done good about anti virus over last 16 years, just recently had a problem cause I turned it off for a bit to speed up my slow PC. Yeah, bad choice. Just hate how Virus Scanners take up resources and slow stuff down.

The air purifier as an air filter, which I bought extras, and as option to turn ion on or off. Hopefully makes a difference.

Yeah, I saw some new case towers that had filters on their intake fans.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Concho Pete

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 09:03:06 pm »

Going to second the nod for MSSE.  Low overhead and simple.  Throw in some Malewarebytes for good measure and you will be good to go.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 09:30:40 pm »

Yeah, discovered Malewarebytes recently, pretty cool.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
revloc06

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:06 pm »

Just found this thread when I registered.  Sorry if the information is late, nonetheless...

1) Power supplies need to be rated for spikes, not for general usage.  So while your computer likely won't use more than a couple hundred watts, occasionally they may spike and hence why SLI setups demand high wattage PSUs, like your 1000W.  I had SLI'd 8800GTs back in the day and used the kill-o-watt to track the usage, at full load running a heavily intensive game like crysis it would still use just under 300watts.  The problem is, spikes can be high and if they exceed your wattage, your computer crashes.  So depending on your dual SLI'd cards, you likely "need" the 1000W, even though you likely aren't "using" it.

2) So as per #1, you would probably be more than covered with the 1500 you linked or something similar.  Mine is only a 875 and I'm perfectly comfortable.  I almost always have the latest GPUs as well (SLI 8800GTs --> GTX 285 --> 5850 --> Huh? getting ancy....:-)

3) I have always liked AVG Free (even though I can get McAfee for free from the college I teach at).  All my computer buddies including my boss who is a systems administrator use it (I work a sidejob as an IT professional).  It does it's job without any of the bloatware that Norton has ALWAYS been and McAfee has become.  I don't know Kapersky, but have heard good things about it.

And yes MalwareBytes is the bomb, we use it at work when one of our employees infects one of our machines.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:48:58 pm by revloc06 » Logged
revloc06

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 08:48:27 pm »

Sorry, I forgot to mention, if I were going to ever pay for Anti-Virus, I'd pay for VIPRE...not Norton or McAfee.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)