Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 02:04:00 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Looking at upgrading the Rig.... need help please!  (Read 10265 times)
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:47:58 pm »

FYI: built this system as a streaming server for my wife's SL DJ biz...and I can run 18 boxes in T5 without lag....more if I run some skinny.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Nijjin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »

Check out AMD's Trinity processors (APU). The A8-5600 is low priced and performs quite well. That and a Biostar A85 board will cost you less than $200, and can handle a LOT. Nice part about the setup is that it supports Virtu MVP (Lucidlogic) which lets you Xfire the APU with pretty much any graphics card....in effect giving you SLI with one vid card. As for vid cards....you can get a decent Radeon 7770 for around $120, or spend a little more and go for an Nvidia 650 ti (around $150, which is the route I'd go). Then to round it out....2 8 gig sticks of decent ram that will fit the board will run you around $100. Easy upgrade package, as long as you have a 64 bit operating system.

I will check this out, thanks for the info!
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:55 pm »

For $500 to $750 you will not be able to buy a machine that will run 12 or 18 toons on full settings.

Who runs every window on full settings? Don't people just use minimum settings on all boxes except the main box?

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 10:34:09 pm »

For $500 to $750 you will not be able to buy a machine that will run 12 or 18 toons on full settings.

Who runs every window on full settings? Don't people just use minimum settings on all boxes except the main box?

^^

hell I even use minimum on main box
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:37:17 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Rageful

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:37:05 pm »

I guess Felony does  Tongue

I dont turn anything off anymore, I load more global models then ez uses actually because I use that install as my test client as well and I box 18 just fine.
1x shit tastic video card
1x omfg thats a lot of ram that mb can have
8x big ass ram sticks
=
win
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 06:21:23 am »

Windows supports up to 32 GB RAM on the 32bit edition I think and twice that on the 64bit edition.

Nope.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

No consumer version of 32-bit Windows supports more than 4gb of RAM.  It is a hardware limitation.

As far as upgrading goes, what is your goal?  Hard to give any advice without knowing that.

ah interesting.I knew it was less than the 64 bit but I didn't think it was significantly less. I've only ever used 64 bit edition.

Even if you wanted to run all 18 with full graphics (which doesnt make much sense as you aren't viewing more than one or two at a time) why don't you think about getting the 16GB RAM and using the mq2test plugin that turn viewport 1 1 1 1 on the screens that are not in view. When you switch to the other screen it will reset back to normal. Don't think it will do anything for load time and zoning tho. Small budget too to upgrade and buy a second rig to achieve what you want.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)