Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 10:33:02 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Looking at upgrading the Rig.... need help please!  (Read 10313 times)
Nijjin

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »

I am looking to upgrade my rig.  Below I have my specs listed, most is pretty generic stuff.  I am assuming that the Graphics Card and Power Supply are a must, the motherboard is a micro-board…it was on sale when I was ordering…which I regret now due to it holding a max of 16gb of ram.  I would like to keep the Processor and upgrade ram, card and Motherboard….  Any helpful suggestions or a helpful guide to point me in the correct direction. I have $500-750 I would like to spend.

Thanks!
Nijjin

MotherBoard : GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor : AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Processor - 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory 8GB DDR3 1333Hard
 Drive : 500GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM
Graphics :  AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
Supply : 500W
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »

You know what happens when you assume Wink

Does it say that it only supports up to 16 GB RAM? Because if you buy 2 16GB cards you could shove them in there, Windows supports up to 32 GB RAM on the 32bit edition I think and twice that on the 64bit edition. If not just upgrade your hard drive to an SSD and your RAM to the 16GB. Are you going to be playing any high intensity graphic games or just EQ?
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:39 pm »

Windows supports up to 32 GB RAM on the 32bit edition I think and twice that on the 64bit edition.

Nope.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

No consumer version of 32-bit Windows supports more than 4gb of RAM.  It is a hardware limitation.

As far as upgrading goes, what is your goal?  Hard to give any advice without knowing that.

Nijjin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:43 pm »

Memory
Number of Memory Slots 2×240pin Memory Standard DDR3 1333+ (O.C.)/1066
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel

This is the information that is posted on the website I purchased the motherboard from, unless this is a not true statement and it can support more.  I am currently using Windows 7 Home premium 64bit edition.
Nijjin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »

My Goal for the system would be able to run 12-18 toons without having to turn off players models, clip plane, spell effects...etc.
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:06:07 pm »

Good luck

Maybe you should read blurring's post about boxing..

I have a really High end system and have to turn a few things off to keep 12-18 in just because

but whatever good luck

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Nijjin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:20 pm »

Good luck

Maybe you should read blurring's post about boxing..

I have a really High end system and have to turn a few things off to keep 12-18 in just because

but whatever good luck

I have read this post, not sure what it has to do with what I am asking here. But thanks? Im looking for suggestions not statements?
Rageful

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »

I guess his suggestion is to box 6 if you want to leave graphics on
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »

Pretty much any video card is going to be fine these days. You will need a lot of ram, depending on your client you'll be using just under 1 gig of ram per toon to almost 1.5 gig of ram per toon.
I dont turn anything off anymore, I load more global models then ez uses actually because I use that install as my test client as well and I box 18 just fine.
1x shit tastic video card
1x omfg thats a lot of ram that mb can have
8x big ass ram sticks
=
win

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Nijjin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:10 pm »

That would be one way to take it I guess... Seems to me if you were pushing 64gb ram and running a I7 while running SLI or Crossfire you could achieve something close to what I am looking for... say a benchmark I was looking to hit where I could see results like this or it would give me an idea to where I need to be.  If Fugitive is running a system like this and what I am looking for is unachievable then I guess I would look to running two systems and sharing a EQBC server between them.
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:40:48 pm »

990X I7
32G ram
SSD HDs

Is what I'm rolling with

the problem is EQ Code sucks when trying to run all information to every box

But I don't think you can even come close to getting a machine that wants to run like that for 500$ .. your budget
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:44:45 pm by Fugitive » Logged

-Hate"
Nijjin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 09:45:35 pm »

990X I7
32G ram
SSD HDs

Is what I'm rolling with

the problem is EQ Code sucks when trying to run all information to every box

Thanks for the info on what you were using Fugitive, that points me the right direction.  Also Felony thanks for the tip on the ram that is helpful as well.  With what Fugi said with the code being an issue then I may look to running two units.
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 09:45:51 pm »

Check out AMD's Trinity processors (APU). The A8-5600 is low priced and performs quite well. That and a Biostar A85 board will cost you less than $200, and can handle a LOT. Nice part about the setup is that it supports Virtu MVP (Lucidlogic) which lets you Xfire the APU with pretty much any graphics card....in effect giving you SLI with one vid card. As for vid cards....you can get a decent Radeon 7770 for around $120, or spend a little more and go for an Nvidia 650 ti (around $150, which is the route I'd go). Then to round it out....2 8 gig sticks of decent ram that will fit the board will run you around $100. Easy upgrade package, as long as you have a 64 bit operating system.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:46:02 pm »

For $500 to $750 you will not be able to buy a machine that will run 12 or 18 toons on full settings.

Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »

you end up with Desyncs either way you look @ it

-Hate"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 246