Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:30:17 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: New and Question  (Read 11684 times)
Vadeem

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »

Hello all, I'm downloading SOD and looking forward to logging in. I played EQ off and on from 99 until 06. I was thinking about trying EMU Classic 99 but I've been reading the EZ boards and it looks very interesting.

I consider myself a casual player by hardcore standards.

My question relates to picking a class. I like to play a usefull support class to a group but I see that there is also a lot of soloers and boxers on EZ. I'm not a big fan of boxing but have sporadic playtimes (which usually isn't group friendly). I would like to play one character and, after the inital leveling and gear up, group when I can and solo when I can't. I'm leanding towards a Bard or Ranger. From the posts I get the feeling that charm, mez, and cc in general aren't what they are on Live. My questions:

Do Bards pull at the high end or are they more of a group utility class only?

If no to pulling, are they popular as a utility for group? I've read the posts about DS kiting for solo.

Are Rangers welcome in groups?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I'm looking forward to seeing you online.
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

Charm and Mez do not work for players at all here.
swamphy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:19:21 am »

http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=87.0

Read it.

Know it.

Love it.

.... Welcome to EZ =)
Vadeem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:30 am »

Hi Swamhpy and thanks. I did read that post, twice before your reply and once after. That is where I got the idea that cc, mez, and charm aren't working. But does it answer my question about the group and solo value of bards and rangers?

Reed posted about a six person group war/war/war/cler/cler/cler or war/war/war/cle/rgr/rgr but I see that people are playing other classes. Cleric seems to be a heal bot, not much going on with Enchanters or Shaman. The pet classes seem to do well solo until a specific Tier. An SK posted and people told him most groups won't waste a spot for him. Bards can solo with the right combination of gear and damage shield. I see all of that but it still isn't clear to me if groups will find the utility of a bard (without cc/pulling) worth a spot and and if rangers are viable solo and wanted in a group (Reed's post would seem to say yes for ranger?)?

Trust me I've read the boards and done forum searches. I just don't see the information I'm looking for in enough detail to be comfortable with a decision. I know people get tired of noob questions but they can just ignore my post if they don't want to answer.

Thanks,

Vad

Otaduke

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07:45 am »

if you intend on going high end your hunter may be more welcomed over your bard. But it all depends on who your going to be grouping with. If it's me and my guild play any class you want and have fun others who are more hard core may desire you to play a priest or pally. Just to many factors to say you should play one class over another. I personally have one of just about every class excpet for the SK, rogue and Berzerker and that is just because I decided to focus on RoA (Ring of Ages) to 100 for my war.

I read one recommendation from someone that said to play a class you would not play on live. You may find you love it.

The charm is broken so if you like that play style your out of luck here but the haste from an enchanter is good to have.  I made an enchanter just for tradeskilling, was an after thought creation so I named him Psts meaning (P.S. Trade skills) yeah it's goofy but that was my reason for an enchanter =)

There is enough content for a solo'ist or solo lfg'er that you will have a blast.

I like to box and usually have 6 toons up at any given time consisting of War, druid, mage, monk, shaman, and necro. I am up to Qvic but tend to do alot of RoA's, this is why i have druid, mage and shaman my RoA team.
Vadeem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:36 am »

Thanks Otaduke!
Razormaw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:11 pm »

Honestly, a lot of the EQLive "expectations" aren't present here. There's not a lot of pickup grouping, as most people multi-box and/or are in guild instances for things.

As has been said, find something you enjoy. As far as the "best" class, a lot of them have pros and cons.

Mage and Necro get great pets with their later epics. They do great DPS but cannot tank the high end stuff.

Warriors are great tanks (duh) and PLers, but the PLing only happens when you are rather high end and get the AE DD augs available to them.

Pallies are a good all-around helper class. Epic procs a group heal, good survivability but obviously not great DPS. A good tank class to consider in a multi-box setup, but they're not as great in the high end raid content as tanks.

I really enjoy my Monk, but their epics leave something to be desired. Great DPS, they get eaten alive by AEs and Rampage in high end, and half of their epic effects are useless. The clicky adds a rapid-firing proc, but the focus and flying kick mods don't work.

Bards are underplayed and can be very handy if you plan to join a guild fighting the higher end stuff. Just be aware charm is cut out of the game at the moment due to exploits with it.

Wizards are generally laughed at, from my understanding. They're not good to multibox, and their DPS is a joke compared to a Mage pet. I'm not sure how they stack up these days with the added spells in the higher end zones, though so I could be wrong.

Beastlords are another viable pet class, but again their pets get eaten alive by the higher end AE and Rampage.

Rangers and Rogues are great "autofire" DPS for a bot squad and/or a guild that does high end stuff.

Clerics are good as core healers, but their epics aren't as good as the Druid and Shaman. The latter two get no rez on this server, but their epic effects are solid. Druid = big HP regen, Shaman = big HP buff.

Enchanters... well... with no charm and crack buffs available at a hail, they're generally not played either.

So take those factors into account and just play what you want. Pick one class to be your main that you want to focus on, and make bots that will complement them well. Once you get your bot army geared up, it won't be hard to experiment with other classes.

Razormaw the Leaping Lizard - 70 2x 3.0 Monk
Razamataz - 70 3.0 Mage
Razin Bran the Cereal Killer - 70 2.0 Paladin
<Baked Potato>
Otaduke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 02:41:18 pm »

Vadeem your welcome

Great post Razor and well presented.

I am in that warrior phase looking for high end help to get the AE DD augs or stick to RoAing my next toon to 100 =)

stricken

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:56 pm »

As has been said, find something you enjoy. As far as the "best" class, a lot of them have pros and cons.

Mage and Necro get great pets with their later epics. They do great DPS but cannot tank the high end stuff.

Warriors are great tanks (duh) and PLers, but the PLing only happens when you are rather high end and get the AE DD augs available to them.

Pallies are a good all-around helper class. Epic procs a group heal, good survivability but obviously not great DPS. A good tank class to consider in a multi-box setup, but they're not as great in the high end raid content as tanks.

I really enjoy my Monk, but their epics leave something to be desired. Great DPS, they get eaten alive by AEs and Rampage in high end, and half of their epic effects are useless. The clicky adds a rapid-firing proc, but the focus and flying kick mods don't work.

Bards are underplayed and can be very handy if you plan to join a guild fighting the higher end stuff. Just be aware charm is cut out of the game at the moment due to exploits with it.

Wizards are generally laughed at, from my understanding. They're not good to multibox, and their DPS is a joke compared to a Mage pet. I'm not sure how they stack up these days with the added spells in the higher end zones, though so I could be wrong.

Beastlords are another viable pet class, but again their pets get eaten alive by the higher end AE and Rampage.

Rangers and Rogues are great "autofire" DPS for a bot squad and/or a guild that does high end stuff.

Clerics are good as core healers, but their epics aren't as good as the Druid and Shaman. The latter two get no rez on this server, but their epic effects are solid. Druid = big HP regen, Shaman = big HP buff.

Enchanters... well... with no charm and crack buffs available at a hail, they're generally not played either.

===Classes you want===
Monk = DPS (Best DPS end game)
Ranger = DPS (Best until monk gets end game)
Pally = Group Heal (always a good class =D)
War = Oh so overpowered tank, good for everything (9/10 people you meet will be a war)
Cleric = 42k group heals with a 1 oracle. you decide.
===Support Classes===
Shammy = right click epic, logoff (RoA must)
Druid = right click epic, logoff ( RoA must)
Enchanter = right click epic, logoff
Magician = CoTH, only use
Bard = stacking DS, 2nd best for RoAing behind warrior.
Rogue = Good DPS if your one boxing, otherwise use a monk.
===Everything else===
SK = Great for soloing, terrible in groups = unwanted
Zerker = no real reason to make this class.
Wizzy = bad dps until end game around T3 where they get a decent spell, still not worth effort.
Bst = Good dps using disc but doesnt last long and caps pre T1
Necromancer = Yeah just dont make this class.

Just thought we needed a little clarification of these. Smiley
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »

Necromancer = Yeah just dont make this class.

Just thought we needed a little clarification of these. Smiley
But my necro is Fuber... uber... Shocked

LOL
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:25:59 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
alrazor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:45 am »

HI THERE,

I'm new on the EZ-SERVER.  I've started before on another server where no other people was playing (I figered it only out later...   

Now I want to start in GLOOMINGDEEP, so called the tutorial of EQ, but when I create here an new char, it's launched diretely in the 'Surefall glade'.   

Can anyone help me how starting in the mines of gloomingdeep ?

Thanx,
ALRAZOR
Gnaughty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 12:24:32 pm »

Thats some great information Razormaw ya did a great job, though I have to disagree atm rogues are not a good autofire class.  They will be getting help soon hopefully but they are just poopie right now.  To be perfectly honest if you arent going to be on the bleeding edge min/maxxing and want to just have fun soloing, don't go ranger or bard.  You'll have much more of an easy time with any of the pet classes, beastlord being the strongest one.  Yes the pets get all raped in T1 and T2 but it sounds like you just want to get your feet wet and learn the ins and outs of the server.  Two years ago I started here with a single mage and I loved it, that character got me hooked onto the  server and allowed me the ability to relearn the game after years away.  If you are or become interested in end game content gimme a holler on my warrior Boshog.  Maybe I can answer a question that has'nt been answered already.  Welcome to the happiest place on the eq/emu circuit!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:21:26 pm by Gnaughty » Logged

Poop
revloc06

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 04:35:48 pm »

I would say play what you want...then by the time you know what you want it'll be easy enough to level another character up to where you are in the progression.  I started BST, but now have a WAR, CLR and RNG all on par with my BST, my BST now just has a couple thousands AAs he can't use, that's the only difference.
Gnaughty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 11:48:10 pm »

Hey Vadeem it was nice talking to you in game, though you caught me at a bad time when I was half asleep.  I dont really remember what I last said to you but I wanted to know how your cleric turned out?

Poop
Vadeem

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:52:27 am »

Hey thanks for the help. It went well, the cleric is now level 58, Ranger 60. I was able to bridge the gap in levels between the two because of your assistance.

Even thought I've read the boards and understand the basic concept (often discussed for ROAing) it was a little hectic on the first run. I didn't want to waste time and wasn't sure what zone to use. I've read that custom zones aren't a good idea. For the second run I went to city of mist and that worked well except I haven't been there in forever and kept running into dead ends (even with the map).

I do have a few questions. Some things seem broken and it is hard to tell if it is just a difference betweeen EZ and Live by design or is acutally broken. I'm going to search the boards first. If I can't find the answer I may message you so I don't bug ingame. Also, I'm confused about some things due to the design differences. A lot of that just requires taking the time to do some testing but I haven't bothered so far.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 439