Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:19:36 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lets smoke some trees! ;D  (Read 5432 times)
Ponzi

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:18 am »

In all seriousness, <3 this server, it's a whole lotta fun whether you have a half hour to play or 7 straight, something for everyone.

Probably the most enjoyable aspect for me is T1 -- Love fighting the dragons, the constant chance of a mini or chest popping, Tikis to pop minis, augs, class quests, really has it all. Honestly, i like this zone so much it makes me want to constantly make new toons just to have more excuses to go back to it.

There is one glaring problem with T1: The trees. My god they destroy framerates and for many people who box like mad on this server, it's the one zone where people lag out trying to box to the point it's practically unplayable.

I can pee and come back to my computer zoning from nexus to PoD. I can smoke a cig and come back in the time it takes to zone from PoD Waypoint to guild instance PoD.... /stick works like /follow, characters lag and warp all over the place, dps melee classes lose a good 25% of their effectiveness to lag, etc... It's a pure nightmare from that aspect. I'd be willing to wager 50% of the mages on this server were created specifically to be parked in T2 in order to COH bot armies the hell out of T1. Anyone who *can* farms their augs on T2 trash/minis/bosses because (with no trees) there is zero lag in T2 and it's an incredibly enjoyable experience.

I'm no expert on how emu works or even if it's possible, but if there was anything that could be done to ease up on the lag in T1 cause by the trees, it would be fantastico!

We were joking in /ooc to give Bezerkers the ability to chop down trees with their axes, which would instantly make them the most desirable class on the server. /shrug.

It's such a great zone, it's a shame it's pure hell to grind through it due to outside factors. Too bad we can't take the character models to other zones, simply dumping the content into Skyfire or some similarly tree-less zone would be splendid. Smiley

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
funkinmofo

Nerf Whiners

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:30:21 am »

LOL, picturing Zerkers in red flannel shirts singing "I'm a lumberjack"

Trinity

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:10:37 am »

The trees are not lagging you it is the dragons. They got higher polygon counts. The trees are fine why would you take out aesthetics like trees....Trees are part of the dynamic of a zone in a rpg. Taking trees out would make it feel stupid. Try lowering your view distance all the way down and all particle effects to off.
Simp

bling bling

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:13:26 am »

With just particle effects off and running SoD I zone 5 toons into PoD at once in less than 15 seconds easy.

Zodiac - Monk - <i crit my pants>
curator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:06:44 am »

Just FYI, I have a dell laptop 3 years old and I can box 5 chars at once and experience zero lag zoning into t1 nor playing t1 or any zone for that matter.  My friend takes a long time zoning in though.  Maybe it's time for an upgrade to your computer??  How much ram you have?  What graphics card? 
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »

The trees are not lagging you it is the dragons. They got higher polygon counts. The trees are fine why would you take out aesthetics like trees....Trees are part of the dynamic of a zone in a rpg. Taking trees out would make it feel stupid. Try lowering your view distance all the way down and all particle effects to off.

There isn't an ounce of lag in T2, and believe me, T2 has dragons, too. Smiley

It's the trees.

Thanks to the rest who responded.. Yes, when i'm in T1 i crank everything down to minimum settings and it's still basically a turn-based RPG. Running a P4 with a couple gigs of RAM and a standard video card. There's some hardware tweaks i could probably make, but i mean i don't lag at all *anywhere* but in the trees in T1. And i'm certainly not the only one that's noticed it.

I even uninstalled the downloadable content and went with the ghetto "human" dragons, but it still lagged terribly even with max FPS dropped and clip plane set to Mr. Magoo levels. I never had issues boxing 3-6 on THF or Storm Haven, and they got bushels of custom content, too. Of course, none of them ever put a progression zone in PoStorms, either, so /shrug.

I dunno, i'm not really ranting or anything, it's just a bummer that what should be the best part of progression is borderline unplayable for me cuz of framerates. It's frustrating. Shocked

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis