Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 02:23:30 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dragon Slave Troubles  (Read 12598 times)
Lintrix

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

Hey folks! 

I am new on this server (relatively), and have had minimal live EverQuest experience past level 50.  I really enjoy playing here, and I really like how Hunter & Basher has laid out the content!

I've been playing and reading in the game as of late.  It wasn't until a week ago that I realized that if i wanted to progress, i would need to box more characters.  So I spent a good amount of time leveling 5 characters that i felt were going to be a great self-sustained group: Paladin, Paladin, Shaman, Monk, and Warrior

Luckily, through the Halloween event, both my Paladins were able to obtain 2.0 epic books!  It has helped tremendously in power leveling my other toons.

Unfortunately, now that I have all my characters up and running, i've hit a wall at Dragon Slave.  All my guys have been geared from potimea drops, and both my paladins have their 2.0s, but i just can't seem to defeat him!  I can kill all the other bosses in potimea without a hitch.

The trouble i usually have is that since his hit box is so small, any movement by the mob will cause an out of range on the paladins.  Since my tank only has 10-12k HP, my tank can die without both paladins attacking.  The dragon seems to love to pick a random dps guy and beat him down.  When this happens, the dragon moves just enough to get out of position, and before i can move my paladins back, someone dies.  I know its not because the other characters are generating too much hate, as no other boss has done this on me until Dragon Slave. 

I've wiped numerous times when Dragon Slave is at 10-30%, and its really frustrating when it really takes a long time to defeat him with newbie DPS.  Sometimes all my DPS dies and the only one alive is my 2.0 paladin and a shaman healer.  He can survive with the shaman healing, but can't dish out more damage than the dragon can regenerate.

I've actually come acoss times where i would /shout "Anybody free to help me kill Dragon Slave?" and end up having someone come up and kill him and take the page for his other toon without batting an eye at me and my newbie group.

Without a set of 3.0s to solo Dragon Slave, how do i defeat him so that i can get my other characters their 1.5? 

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.  If i can't find a way to defeat Dragon Slave, I simply can't progress my group of toons any further.

TLDR:  I'm a newbie with a group of 70s in potimea gear.  Have two 2.0 paladins, but can't kill Dragon Slave.  Help!
Warriorstack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:52:02 pm »

I would think about dropping the shaman for a cleric.  Clerics are going to make it so much easier for you from here on out.  The 3.0 with 400% healing is a godsend.

I've been watching this thread from a distance, for good reason. It's like a hornets nest full of chainsaws and salty baby tears.
Lintrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »

I would think about dropping the shaman for a cleric.  Clerics are going to make it so much easier for you from here on out.  The 3.0 with 400% healing is a godsend.

I had no idea they will be able to have a 400% boost!  Thank you for this suggestion, I will make a Cleric and see if it helps!  I guess ill have to spend another two days leveling another toon haha!

Does the Cleric have any abilities that will help in the fight with just 1.0s?
Kreemo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »

I hear your pain, I'm in exactly the same situation, breezed thru time with my box's then DS was like running into a brick wall!

I honestly wasn't ready for it and had no way of doing it without help.

Unless there is something we are blatantly missing, I think dragon slave is meant to be tough and we should remember that time is a raid zone. I am guessing that back in the day several groups would have been needed to kill him so don't get disheartened.

Now there are many people who can solo the whole zone at once without breaking a sweat and I must say that there are a lot of people out there who will help you with DS and Terror/Quill. Just because u met some ass who looted the page doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I still can't take him down without help but if u need my weak ass toons I'm more than happy to help as I think most people will hit a point where they need a helping hand of some sort or other.

Also, look out for people who offer to kill stuff in ooc, there are lots of people who do this to help us noobies

Kreemo - monk
Krusha - warrior
Grimshaw - pally
Vern - cleric
Lintrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:02:59 pm »

Thank you for your reply Kreemo.  That one person was few and far between in regards to player attitudes on this server.  There was one person that actually saw me wipe and offered to kill it for me.  That was the very first legitimate 1.5 i turned in and i gave it to my warrior so he can be a better tank.  Ever since then, i've continued to try and fail on the dragon.

I just hope I can develop a method to be a self sustained group without needing the luck to find a nice person to come kill a mob for me.
Kreemo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »

If u see me online under kreemo or krusha gimme a shout and we could both try. I need to do the whole zone again after getting my first 1.5 and I alot of my alts still need page 10.

I could ask some friends to come kill it for us but somehow I don't think that's the point is it. I need to get better at boxing more than 3 toons as I know that is half the problem at the moment for me with the tougher fights

Kreemo - monk
Krusha - warrior
Grimshaw - pally
Vern - cleric
Lintrix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »

Sounds good! 

It does get a bit hefty controlling all those toons at once, especially if the mob has a minuscule hitbox.  I've considered turning off the models just for this fight.  Maybe i should...
Agilm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:02:20 pm »

I'll be happy to help too.  Great thing about EZ is there are a lot of people that pay it forward.  I got help when I started, therefor I too help others, and continue to help.

Look for Haarakhang when your on, and shoot me a tell anytime ya need help.
kaizen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:35 pm »

my first dragon slave i did with BoT gear and weaps
Warrior, Mage, Ranger, Cleric

Started casting CH with cleric then ran warr in... hit stonewall.. switched to mage and sent pet.. switched to ranger /autofire.. switched back to cleric and kept CHing then switched to fast heals if stonewall went down and he still wasn't dead
i think i wiped my first 2 attempts
defensive/DPS AAs are a must
you can also do a CH chain with another character with the book of healing.. make sure you have focus of healing buff (100% increase)

just have to be quick with the alt tab haha
Kwai

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »

I have been in your same boat until recently.  Thanks to people like Carroll, Gimpwar and Fineous those end quest mobs that stymied my progress became non-factors.  Like Krusha said, if you need help getting past any of those mobs leading up to your 3.0 please let me know and I'll help push you through. 

Once you have your 3.0 things become much smoother.  If I could make a recommendation.... from my limited amount of time here... get your Pally a 3.0 and he can push the remainder through for you.  I would be happy to help you with everything to that point.  We can probably do most of it in a night/day.  Just look for Dokk.
Nova5555

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »

I also ran into this 'problem' and again when facing MoW.
I'm pretty sure (not positive) that DS is rooted and will turn to the closest npc. Keep that in mind and you might be able to keep aggro on your tank.
You really need to utilize all your abilities to defeat DS at the 1.5 epic level.
If you can, completing the CG/FG quests will help a lot.
You'll be pleased to note that with duel 2.5 on my warrior I can pretty much eat DS.
I play a full group with 8 -  2.5 epics (and some 1.5 for pet buffs) and not sure if I'll be able to take on MoW. Going to try tonight or sometime soon.

I'd be more than happy to help you with trouble mobs, shoot me a tell.

Maldor 70 Warrior 2.5
Lintrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »

Thank you guys for your replies, insights, and offers to lend a hand.  I really appreciate the help!

What I am going to do as soon as i get off work is to make a Cleric, as Warriorstack has suggested while working on joining the casters guild for my Paladin and trying to obtain my 2.5 & 3.0.

Dragon Slave does look like he either 1) Drops all aggro, 2) Changes aggro and sticks on a certain individual, or 3) Aggros the closest character.  The difficulty is with all three theories is because his hit box is so small, it sometimes is hard to maintain enough distance with all toons so that they continuously hit.  I may need to level a pet class or any ranged class to solve this problem.  Or i can push for 2.5/3.0 with my Paladin.

Any 2.5/3.0 help would be greatly appreciated though!
Otaduke

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

I can help out as well if needed usually on from 7:45pm CST to about midnight playing Frogzilla.
gimpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »

Dragon slave is rooted, so the closest toon will have aggro.  I had the best luck with putting the tank on him as close as possible, then slowly creeping in with the other toons.  You can use a pet to find max melee distance, just make sure your tank is the closest toon.  DS also rampages, so that might be some of the damage you are seeing on your DPS toons.  A cleric is handy for rampge damage, with group heal (word of vivification).   

If you see one of my Gimp* toons online, send a tell, I will come help out if I am not busy.
Lintrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »

I just wanted to write this to thank Izmael for helping me today.  I was creating my Cleric when he  private messaged me asking if I needed help.  Now I am on my way to obtaining the second 1.5 for my warrior, and on my way to begin hunting for the 2.0 pages.

Really, the community here is genuinely nice in helping when others are in need.  Just like them, when I am able enough, I will provide help to those who need that extra hand.

Thank you!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061