Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:31:53 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Any suggestions/help...  (Read 10885 times)
Solbash

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:40:58 pm »

Since moving about 3 months ago, i've been without internet at home. So I went to the last resort of being able to get back online, as I do live in the middle of the sticks, satellite was pretty much my only option. I've ran into a problem though, i can connect to the login server fine, but I times out before i can get to the character select screen. I've searched forum after forum and found no one that has a viable suggestion or that didn't say "lulz satellite, quit now". I've had this same service many years ago and played on Live without no problem at all. I'm up for any suggestion atm as the past 7 hours i've scratched my brain on how to get it working.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:00:52 pm »

lulz satellite, quit now".

Sorry, couldn't resist, lol.

It sounds like what you are saying is that your connection is ultra slow. There might be a setting somewhere in your eq directory in one of the ini's that would have a time out number. I think I vaguely recall adjusting that before but it has been years and years ago. Hopefully maybe someone else will remember. Other than that, make sure you are not running any downloaders in the background. Limewire, luckywire, kazaa or any bitorrent downloader. Also make sure you are not running anything that would slow your pc down at all either. Trimming as much fat as possible and running your pc to solely play eq when you are playing eq might give you the edge you need to get pass the time out.

Good luck man.

Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:01 pm »

lulz satellite, quit now".

Sorry, couldn't resist, lol.

It sounds like what you are saying is that your connection is ultra slow. There might be a setting somewhere in your eq directory in one of the ini's that would have a time out number. I think I vaguely recall adjusting that before but it has been years and years ago. Hopefully maybe someone else will remember. Other than that, make sure you are not running any downloaders in the background. Limewire, luckywire, kazaa or any bitorrent downloader. Also make sure you are not running anything that would slow your pc down at all either. Trimming as much fat as possible and running your pc to solely play eq when you are playing eq might give you the edge you need to get pass the time out.

Good luck man.
The connection is fine, it's 1.5meg, and i'm on my laptop which only has EQ and Itunes on it and nothing else. I read up on putting a DataRate.txt and setting the value to 3.0, but that didn't change anything. It connected to the server once, but i wasn't in the room when it did, so i'm not sure how long it sat on the character select screen before disconnecting. Hopefully someone will have the solution to hopefully adjusting some of the .ini's that way the ping doesn't cause me to lose connection automatically.
Balthor2
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »

Do speed tests. Google it and use several.
Run the speed and ping tests off servers hosted all over the country but make sure to ping off the ones in IL.
Let me know what your results are. (curious)

Think datarate default is 5.0, changing it to 8.0 or 10.0 might help but not sure. Wouldnt hurt since you already tried it at 3.0.
Will think about this and see if I can come up with any suggestions.
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »

Ping is pretty high, but it was like that 5 years ago when i used the same type of system. Gonna try to up the data rate and see what it does.
Balthor2
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:23 pm »

Hmm yea its got to be timing out due to the ping you got there.
Wonder if you could adjust the data burst rate?
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »

Hmm yea its got to be timing out due to the ping you got there.
Wonder if you could adjust the data burst rate?
Yeah, been looking into it to see if there is anything i can do about it.
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:19:38 pm »

Move back to the city.. live @ starbucks.. they have hotspots..

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:19 pm »

Move back to the city.. live @ starbucks.. they have hotspots..
The nearest starbucks to me is roughly 80miles, the closest city is 20 miles, yet living cost would triple. It's gotta be something simple =/
Balthor2
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:00 pm »

To bad you cant get a fiber line out there. Would solve all the issues.
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:30:44 pm »

To bad you cant get a fiber line out there. Would solve all the issues.
Calling AT&T tomorrow and discussing that with them, and if something can be worked out, i'll pack this other crap up and send it back to them.
Kwai

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:41:22 pm »

I don't know if this is an option for you or not, but last year I lived in the sticks and used a cell card/wireless from a national 3G provider.  Data rates were impressive and fairly stable.  The only downside was the 5Gb monthly package... anything over 5 gig DL and you started paying through the nose.

It was a one time $59 for the wireless modem and then a $59/mo fee.  A bit on the high side considering cable rates, but was head and shoulders above the SAT service fees and shaky connectivity.  Just thought I would throw that out if you had not considered 3G/4G nets.
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »

I will look into them tomorrow, i would like to keep something that i can network though, as i have several computers that i'd be putting online.
Balthor2
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 12:11:08 am »

ohh true my business partner uses a 3G provider for our vehicles. No idea why I didnt think about that one.
Fabdibikya

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:28:19 am »

I have a gadget that can share any 3g usb modem over a LAN and/or wireless N network. It's easy to find for 50ish of your "american dollahs" on ebay (Mine is a sapido rb-1132, iirc)

There are also 3G modems available that have the wireless functionality built-in, but I dont know if they also offer routing/firewall/networking options.

All in all, if your ISP is good, 3g is really stable and good - if your isp is bad (like my first 3g modem) you're better off with dial-up lol

(Now currently very happy with 3g - boxing three chars, zoning takes a minute but al three have full models on, so that's to be expected. One char box zones in 10 seconds, machine I have is a dual core 2.3ghz laptop so it's not the bomb. Ping sometimes craps out - but hey, that happens on regular connections too.)

Clevitsj, Hipster Enchantress Extraordinaire
(I WAS AN ENCHANTER BEFORE THEY WERE COOL)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 439