Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:18:48 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Virtual Memory  (Read 9721 times)
Dragonmist

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:09:56 am »

In my Task Manager this is what its showing when im running 5 toons I keep on getting virtual memory error. Im running 4GB total ram(memory),and my machine is 10x better than my laptop I have been running on which was vista, 3GB ram lowend toshiba and never saw that message while using it. Anyone have any suggestions?

eqgame.exe

WAR-Warfiend
SK-Ciera
PAL-Fevein
PAL-Zelera
PAL-Kordel
RNG-Dragonmist
ROG-Consealed
WIZ-Zeldraco
BER-Shadeis
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:53:37 am »

Check out  EQPlaynice at
http://www.lavishsoft.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Dragonmist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:03:36 pm »

Thanks didn't use it or Isoboxer on my laptop so forgot about it Ill see if it helps out.

WAR-Warfiend
SK-Ciera
PAL-Fevein
PAL-Zelera
PAL-Kordel
RNG-Dragonmist
ROG-Consealed
WIZ-Zeldraco
BER-Shadeis
Dragonmist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15:36 pm »

I downloaded it ran it and it said my version of EQ was not supported by EQ Play Nice.

Im running SoD version?

WAR-Warfiend
SK-Ciera
PAL-Fevein
PAL-Zelera
PAL-Kordel
RNG-Dragonmist
ROG-Consealed
WIZ-Zeldraco
BER-Shadeis
Glup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:30 pm »

Virtual memory has nothing to do with how much RAM you have, it's rather how much hard disk space you have left for your swapfile.
Check the virtual memory settings in Windows, choose the drive with most free space as your swapfile location (you can choose multiple drives). Are you manually setting your swapfile size or do you let windows manage the size? If you go manual, choose twice the amount of RAM you have as a rule of thumb.
Also it might be a good idea to defrag your hard disk before changing swap file settings as the swapfile ideally should be in "one piece" on the disk, not fragmented around.
Dragonmist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:28:31 pm »

I just got this PC back up and running,reformatted etc. It has nothing on it but EQEmu.Updates,Drivers etc.

So Glup what is swapfile?,and by multiple drives you mean HD or other? Not quite understanding havent messed with this stuff much.Let me know if you need any system specs etc.

WAR-Warfiend
SK-Ciera
PAL-Fevein
PAL-Zelera
PAL-Kordel
RNG-Dragonmist
ROG-Consealed
WIZ-Zeldraco
BER-Shadeis
jew_nose_it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »

If I'm running Titanium client will using EQPlayNice benefit me?  I had an old version I used to run w/ my Shards of Dalaya client, but when I left that up it crashed my EQEmu client.  What version of EQPlayNice will run w/ Titanium?  The link that Brokyn supplied seems kinda fishy and you have to register to use the program you DL from the site it seems.

Owner of Herpp, Herpderpp, Heinzz, Djay, Eyelike, and Durkadurkaa

Leader of <Rainbow Warriors>!!!!!
Cafi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »

How big is your HD? In short the system uses your HD as ram, when you switch 'main' screens it shifts stuff out of ram into virtual memory (back and forth as you change screens). This should be dependent on how large your HD is or if you have it partitioned,multiple HDs etc. (aka your c drive, h drive etc) The old EQ engine was a massive hog on resources (fixed in later expacs). You set your system resources to allow more of your HD memory to be used for virtual memory is what Glup is telling you to do.

You said you were running 5 toons, Ill assume that if you run 4 everything is peachy and it takes a dive when you load up the 5th?

so again in short, virtual memory = hard drive. has nothing to do with ram, vid card, or any other component. If you have a new box you should have min of 500gigs in space, if all thats on it is an OS and the game you have tons of room for virtual memory.

Also if you want  you game to run better, pretty much any game, toon down the spell graphics a bit, but for the biggest bang turn off the SOUND.
Beerman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »

If you only have 4GB of RAM, you will run out of physical memory and your computer will start using virtual memory (writing/reading to the disk which is slower than to RAM) after the 3rd SoD client is running (4th if you are lucky) unless you do the stuff in the help you box thread to reduce memory by turning it into as close to pong graphics as possible.

SoD uses about 800MB of memory per client for most zones (Plane of Dragons will be over 1GB RAM with SoD in my experience), and Windows is going to use about a gig.

EDIT: Your initial post shows that your 5 clients are using more RAM than you have available alone, even without taking into account the RAM your OS uses.
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:06 pm »

If I'm running Titanium client will using EQPlayNice benefit me?  I had an old version I used to run w/ my Shards of Dalaya client, but when I left that up it crashed my EQEmu client.  What version of EQPlayNice will run w/ Titanium?  The link that Brokyn supplied seems kinda fishy and you have to register to use the program you DL from the site it seems.

You have to register to use it, yeah. Its nothing big. I was suspicious at first too.
Personally I use WinEQ, since it has EQPlayNice already built in, and it is good for boxing.
My computer is a little over the top for EQ, but every bit helps when boxing alot of chars.

Dragonmist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 05:03:07 pm »

HD:640GB SATA ,and havent hooked my 500Gb backup HD up yet.

I can run 5 characters-Virtual Memory error never closed out any of my toons.

I read after google the problem that old or glitchy programs sometimes makes your system have the virtual memory errors also.

So Cafi how do I change it to use HD instead of Physical Mem? etc
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:05:50 pm by Dragonmist » Logged

WAR-Warfiend
SK-Ciera
PAL-Fevein
PAL-Zelera
PAL-Kordel
RNG-Dragonmist
ROG-Consealed
WIZ-Zeldraco
BER-Shadeis
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11:11 pm »

Minimize and maximize. I use xp also, have 4gigs of ram (reduced to 3.25gigs due to xp limit). The eq engine has some sort of memory leak in it. The longer you have it running, (especially in custom zones) and the more you change zones the more memory it uses. Thankfully with xp there is a way to ease that memory usage. Minimize and maximize. If you minimize the screen it will drop down to under 50k mem usage. I have had one of mine go up to a gig of memory usage, minimize the screen and boom, down to 25k mem usage. This does not work with W7, not sure on vista. If you are on xp, try it, open up your task manager, find your eqgame listed on the processes tab and then minimize one of your eq windows. It does not work on other windows, only eq. Your computer will love you for it.

Cafi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 07:19:46 pm »

Im trying to remember XP. Under control panel, system and maint, you should have some tools or performance tools, under advanced should be the virtual memory allocation.

if your running 4 sticks of RAM and 640 HD you have more than enough to run EQ (multiple accounts) in less your vid card is taking a shit dive, but then you wouldnt get virtual memory error, you would see hardware failure and it would be painfully obvious on your screen.

also look into that EQplaynice. as i remember it forced eq to render only what was in front of the screen which helped a ton with memory (lag) issues.

Old EQ renderd everything in 360 degrees (regardless of if you were looking that way or not) which was one of the reasons it was so hard on systems. the new games only render what is in front of  your viewable line.

PS, you dont change it to use more HD space instead of ram, it will always use ram first (and you want it to), its the fastest. After your system runs out of ram it starts to bite into the HD as virtual memory and then changes them in and out as you flip screens. You allocate more of your HD to the virtual so it can access it for that purpose.
Dragonmist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »

Okay Thx info and just now got a C++ Runtime Crash error but only 1/5 toons had it come up.

WAR-Warfiend
SK-Ciera
PAL-Fevein
PAL-Zelera
PAL-Kordel
RNG-Dragonmist
ROG-Consealed
WIZ-Zeldraco
BER-Shadeis
Glup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »

As was explained: If you run out of physical RAM, Windows will use the swapfile as a sort of RAM surrogate. The swapfile itself is a huge file that usually sits on your C-drive and is called pagefile.sys.
This swapfile (or pagefile) can then act as RAM, but since read/write operations to a hard disk are much much slower than RAM access (RAM access is a few nanoseconds, while disk access is in the milliseconds) you want to avoid using it - however in this case it's not possible to avoid it since you only have 3GB of RAM (and if you use 32-bit Windows, you can't address more than 3-3.5 GB of RAM anyway due to address space addressing limitations - even if you have more physical RAM).
Windows usually manages the size of the swapfile itself, the default setting is to size it 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have. So if you have 3GB, the default swapfile size is 4.5GB. So much for theory.
In practice you have to look at how Windows writes to the disk. Think of the hard disk as one long strip of data, rolled up to form a circle. When you delete a file, there is a gap in the line. Say you delete a file of 50 kByte size. The empty strip is now 50kByte big. Now you want to save a 100kByte file. What Windows does is it writes 50kByte of the file into the empty space (the strip you deleted earlier) and 50kB into the next empty space (the "end" of the entire strip). This is called fragmentation and it slows down file access because the hard disk read head has to read 2 different physical locations to read a single file. That is why I suggested defragmenting your hard disk before changing swapfile size. That way you can ensure that the swapfile is not fragmented and you get optimum performance. Most experienced people put the swapfile into a separate partition for exactly that reason - but you don't have to.
Now... as I said, usually Windows manages the swapfile size on its own and usually that's perfectly fine. But it also allows you to manually set the size of said swapfile - effectively it allows you to create RAM from hard disk space (with the huge performance impact explained above). So if you size your swapfile to say 6GB, Windows can in theory use 9GB of memory (6GB swapfile + 3GB physical). But of course, the more you swap (i.e. the more data Windows has to write to disk due to insufficient physical memory), the slower your system gets.
If you have more than 1 hard disk, you can create a swap file on each of them - the size is then cumulative, but you can get a slight performance bonus (compared to having just 1 disk) because Windows might write to both swapfiles at the same time - not sure how big this bonus is in reality. Probably minor as disk writes are so slow compared to RAM access.
I hope this explains a little about what the swapfile is and how Windows uses real and virtual memory: Real memory is physical RAM, virtual memory is the size of your swapfile(s).
The C++ runtime error... unless it constantly happens just ignore it. Sh*t happens, especially with MS products. If it continually happens, download the "C++ Runtime Redistributable" for your Windows Version and re-install it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)