Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 06:24:27 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EQ on Satellite Connection  (Read 8443 times)
Nugbar

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:04:28 pm »

Been out of the Game for about a year now, I built a new house in the country and cant even get Dial Up without coils or some crap being added to my lines.  Going from city to only a Sprint card with 1 or 2 bars of connection wont let me log in.  However I see the commercials promoting Satellite Internet, does anyone use it and play on the server? Or does anyone have any information on its speed/reliability for gaming on EQ?

If I can get a good connection I might be able play again. Then you are all in very big trouble.
Storm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »

It will probably suck for EQ as you will have too much latency (high ping) for EQ to be enjoyable.  Though I haven't tried it myself.

But make sure you ask about latency before you subscribe.
Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:27:55 pm »

Welcome back! If you come back maybe Shy will too  Grin
Nugbar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »

That'd be hilarious. Hi Crabs! I think down speed is ok but up is really cruddy. But I have no first hand knowledge of how it works just looking for someone with experience with it. 
Gnaughty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »

My wife and kids miss your Arnold impression.

Poop
Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »

That'd be hilarious. Hi Crabs! I think down speed is ok but up is really cruddy. But I have no first hand knowledge of how it works just looking for someone with experience with it. 

Problem you will have is really jitter I think more than speed. Depends which kind of sat connection you have too - there are at least 2 major types.
Gunther

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »

There is a hotel lodge resort place way out in the boonies where I live and the only available service is via satellite.

It sucks. I can and have been be the only client using their service it at any time of the day and the when I do a ping to anything its in the 4 digit millisecond range - always.

Don't waste your money on it unless you get a free 30 day trial.

Edit to add the following:

Years ago I used dial up for EQ and it was very reliable.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:43:12 pm by Gunther » Logged
Beerman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »

Satellite internet is only really useful for one way (downstream) traffic, which makes it totally usable for things like web browsing, http/ftp downloads, or streaming video as those only need a minimal amount of traffic going out to them for requests.

Just the time it takes the radio signal to travel to and from the bird, you are looking at 250ms, add into that the other places latency comes in and you are most likely looking at a best case scenario ping of around 500ms. If you can play with a half second delay minimum on every key-press, more power to you.
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:15 pm »

Been out of the Game for about a year now, I built a new house in the country and cant even get Dial Up without coils or some crap being added to my lines.  Going from city to only a Sprint card with 1 or 2 bars of connection wont let me log in.  However I see the commercials promoting Satellite Internet, does anyone use it and play on the server? Or does anyone have any information on its speed/reliability for gaming on EQ?

If I can get a good connection I might be able play again. Then you are all in very big trouble.
It won't work, i tried it with Hughesnet back in december and wasted 160 bucks. It won't connect to the server, it will time out and lose connection before you ever make it in game. Check Verizon, they have a huge 3g network, if your in range look at their MiFi hotspots, i pay 50 bucks a month and can take my internet anywhere with me and boxed upwards of 9 characters on that connection.
Vincenso

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:32 pm »

I had it for a while a few years back when I still played on live.

It was terrible.

No other way to describe it, I was in a high end raiding guild and was more of a liability to the group than an asset.  To much lag, I remember a specific instance when we were taking down a boss.  On my screen it was shwowing the mob at 15% life, but the chat channels which didnt seem to lag as much as the rest of the game showed the guild leaders already calling out the loot for the killed boss.
Mechules

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:51:10 pm »

I miss my old Verizon Fios.... =(

That shit was amazing. Now I leech off of a local gas station. Don't ask how.

Nugbar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 08:14:43 am »

It won't work, i tried it with Hughesnet back in december and wasted 160 bucks. It won't connect to the server, it will time out and lose connection before you ever make it in game. Check Verizon, they have a huge 3g network, if your in range look at their MiFi hotspots, i pay 50 bucks a month and can take my internet anywhere with me and boxed upwards of 9 characters on that connection.
[/quote]

Good to know, that is what i was expecting. Save my 160 dollars and buy a cell phone antenna. I have sprint 3g it just only wants to come in with 2 bars on the kitchen table. The other thing with using my sprint card is they limit access on a monthly basis. I dont Download anything really, just web browse on the card now. I'm curious how quickly EZ would use up my data allowance. (5gigs even though its an unlimited everything plan)b.s.
Sickem

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 04:59:09 pm »

I don't think it eats too much bandwidth. Like Gunther, I used to have dial up and could play EQ fine on it. Getting a good cell antenna would be the best alternative I'm thinking.  My parents (in AZ) got a repeater for their cells and boosted signal from 1/5 bars to 4/5 bars consistently . They are really out in the boonies too.

Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:34 pm »

I'm limited somewhat. If i use more than what i have, i have to pay 10 bucks a gig, but average usage boxing 9 toons in one day playing for about 14 hours on the server would use roughly 150mbs (little more if i browsed the net and what not.) So if you got a booster and got a good signal with it, it should work perfectly for it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 310