Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:32:17 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any ideas are welcome  (Read 9204 times)
Frac

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »

Im in need of some help, i recently switched my labtop from a hardline internet to wireless, and am unable to get past the character select screen on any of the servers, i opened all ports on my router and any controlled by my ISP and set up a DMZ and still no evercrack please help any ideas are welcome
Suddz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:10:05 am »

go back to hardline lol =P
Frac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:50:18 am »

would triple the cost of my wireless or i would
domole

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:25 am »

Are you able to access everything else on the internet or is it just everquest?
If it is everything check your IP settings and see if you have a incorrect DNS entry or IP address.

Another thing you can do is check to see if windows firewall is active on your wireless connection and blocking EQ.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:47:39 am »

would triple the cost of my wireless or i would

Are you borrowing internet from a neighbor?

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Slapit255

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:23 am »

We recently moved to using access points instead of wireless cards.... Holy crap is there a difference. This maybe something you can consider, and they are really cheap..

Access points are just like a router, except they receive signals like a wireless card. They have way better connections and consistency than cards though. They are also stackable, so you can plant a switch on one and run pretty quick.
Frac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:34 pm »

the only thing being blocked is everquest and im thinking it has to be my router because my city offers a city wide wireless that is terribly slow and i used that to log on and it worked but i can only pick up the signal 1 out of 50 tries and no im not borrowing my service haha and ill look into the access points do i do that through my normal ISP? or what?
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »

heh only asked because if you decided to borrow neighbor's internet, and I somehow helped with that. I was unwittingly made an accessory to a crime (albeit a minor one).

From what I remember of our conversation, you are using a Router/DSL combo device, it's a Netgear, and you don't have full privilege access to it (heh see why I asked about borrowing?).

One minor test, go to SpeedTest.net and run 3 scans. Choose the nearest server, another server on the west coast, then finally one on the east coast. This will give you an average performance idea (notice idea, not scientifically specific number). Then go to PingTest.net and do the same thing.

If you have a connection *significantly* lower than your advertised, then it may indicate an ISP problem. If you have the latency (ping) test fail, it may be simply that your ISP (or along the way) the ICMP protocol (ping protocol) is simply blocked/disabled.

However, if they both miserably fail, time to phone up the ISP and ask some serious questions. Specifically why are you paying for something you aren't getting.

-Hate

P.S. - Btw, cable companies have a nice trick of selling you speed in megaBITS, not megaBYTES. Take your speed, divide by 8, that is your rough speed estimate. (ex: 2mB/s = ~250 kb/s).

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Fabdibikya

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:22:10 am »

Divide by 10 to get a more accurate picture of what's attainable, tbh. They also have a knack of selling you raw data throughput, which doesnt account for the overheads on data.

I agree with Hateborne's approach.

- Clevitsj

Clevitsj, Hipster Enchantress Extraordinaire
(I WAS AN ENCHANTER BEFORE THEY WERE COOL)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 129