Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:00:50 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: adding a 4th, what should it be?  (Read 6260 times)
atops

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:23 pm »

First off, the wife and I live in Australia (and the server resets at 6:00pm every day our time, /grumble /grumble). We play on a set of laptops. I'm playing a Rogue and made a Pally to tank for me. She made a Mage and wants to bring a 2nd char in to help our little group. We're only at level 57, and would like to take the slow and steady path as far as we can get. We don't really want to bring in a 5th, but I'm considering hosting a 3rd on my laptop, depending on what she goes with. I played many years on live, many years ago, and this is where all of my preconceived ideas come from. I've been reading posts for weeks now on these forums, and it seems that recent changes have made some posts even only 4 months old, irrelevant. It would be nice to have a little up-to-date advice, please.

1. Thinking about a chanter. Mez was broke, now it's fixed, bosses are immune (as they should be) but I don't know if that applies to all mobs in a bosses chambers or mobs part of a boss event.
1a. Can we effectively lock down mobs with a Chanter and how far with that get us?
1b. I read a lot about tank and spank, but not a lot about Slowing. Is Chanter slowing an effective method for keeping the tank alive? How far could we get slowing mobs without a Priest Class?

2. Thinking about a Bard, many of the same questions apply.
2a. Can we effectively lock down mobs with a Bard and how far would that get us?
2b. Would a combination of Bard slowing and Regen songs get us not as far, or father than the Chanter slowing option? How far can we get without a Priest Class?

3. It seems by reading that the best group option is to forget the CC and slows and add a War and Cleric to the group (with the Mage, Pally and Rogue) . How much farther could I get with a healer and off tank combo opposed to the Bard or Chanter support? I want to do the CC/Slow as I find it more fun than Tank/Spank, but I don't want to handicap myself to stuck not getting passed Epic 1.5.

4. Side question. After getting into the CG, I understand that my toons can hail the mage pet for buffs? and that these buffs are better (or as good as) any of the chanter buffs (haste and clarity), which devalues the Chanter even more, correct? But I guess that Chanter still has Rune...

It's hard to conceptualize what works and what's worthless when you will be wearing 30k hps worth of gear. A 1k Rune was amazing on live 6 years ago, but that was when Complete Heal truly was a Complete Heal (No one had broke 10k hps). Now, I don't know.

5. Open to suggestion. Any other favorable options for the 4th spot in a Pally, Rogue and Mage group?

All the best!
Atops

chunkumss

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:23:33 am »

Hey Atops,

Good questions and great attitude! Hope this helps:

Slow doesn't work. So, that takes out much of the benefit you had in mind for the chanter and bard. They do bring other utility, but, probably not what you need. As for mez, it is only semi-helpful at the moment. The adds from most encounters don't add much difficulty (besides qvic, 2.0 boss, and kronos if you aren't over-geared). Generally you can burn them down and not think twice.

Although it sounds cookie-cutter, adding a warrior and cleric will give you a well-rounded group that will be able to go all they way through cutting edge content if you progress them all with charms. Alternatively, if you wanted to try something different, you could use an SK instead of the war/clr. It isn't equivalent obviously, but it is a compromise if you only want to add a single box. The SK will have decent single-target dps with augs (warrior is cheaper dps), and has spells for ae aggro.

There are a lot of combinations that could work, though, so make sure to pick the classes you enjoy.
atops

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:03 am »

LoL, I hadn't considered a SK in a group with a Pally. Who woulda thought? But the wife is all excited. She started reading up on them, and I explained that her new role would be to tank and her eyes lit right up. Apparently getting all up in a mobs face and swinging a sword is what she wanted to do all along, but thought that she had to be a robe wearer because she's a girl...

So, new question. Can we give her 2 pets (mage and SK) Pally epics and let them spam group heal?
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:28:23 am »

The SK pet does not add much to your group... But an SK tank can be a great thing, with their self healing.

One clarification on an earlier post of yours...  The mage can hail his/her pet for buffs, but nobody else can get buffs from your mage's pet.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
barrettd04

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:37:43 am »

I roll with a pal/sk and it works out nicely.

garybusey - warrior
umadd - pally
wayfaerer - pewpew
rondonald - cleric
obzen - monk
dongus - zerker
dorfkus - pally
ultrabeard - zerker
dopesmoke - drood
djenty - chanter
atops

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »

Thank you Chunkumss, Brokyn and Barrettd04.

We gave it a go last night and she got a SK within grouping range. She found that It takes a little more strategizing as a tank, but she'll get used to it.

Bummer about the Mage pet only buffing the mage, Rogue's need their speed as much as casters need their crack.

So that is our new group, SK and Mage for her Pally and Rogue for me. And to get her up to lvl 50, I started a Druid, thinking I could keep her healed... I found that I never needed to. She was only using me for my damage shield Sad I might try and get my computer to bring up a third window and auto follow with the druid for spot heals and utility. But that can wait until things start to get tougher.

See you guys in Game Smiley
Cowtipper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:02:49 pm »

Hi Atops,

I know playing on Aussie time can be difficult to coordinate but if you're ever able to be on in the morning your time (8-10 am) look for me on Cowtipper. I'll be more then happy to help you and your wife (if you guys want) get lvl 70 and get your 1.5 epics.. I know those can be among the hardest to get when you're just starting out.

Anyway shoot me a tell in game and I'll be happy to help you guys out =)

Cowtipper
Officer of Forbidden Prophecy
atops

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:53:33 pm »

Hi Cowtipper,

I really appriciate the offer, but those times would be hard for us. Work in the week and sleeping in on the weekend Tongue

We actually fell in with a real nice bloke from The House of Strix, who gave us a nudge in the right direction.

I think we've broken the shell on our little group, and we'll soon see you all in the tiers Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 91