Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 12:53:22 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Character Wipe  (Read 6184 times)
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:17 am »

The EZ Server has never done a character wipe yet. Even people that were suspended or banned never got deleted yet.

I am considering doing a purge (deletion) of characters due to the database backups being over 8 GB each day with our over 123,000 characters created in our database. I am sure that 98% of those characters are inactive or will never be used again.

Things that would be considered in flagging your character for deletion:

Total Time Played
Last Date Logged In
Player Level
etc.

Since we have the "Prestige" Quest requiring people to re-level, that requirement would be taken into consideration with other factors such as last time logged in or total time played.

Last date logged in would probably be 1 or 2 years, and see how much of the database shrinks for backups. Also, for total time played maybe under 10 hours if logged in last over 6 months ago, etc.

I'll try to give a final warning before I do this. This post is my advance warning to logged in each character (not just each account) in at least once so flag it as active. Hopefully I'll have to the tools for this soon and I'll keep everyone posted too.

Hunter

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:58 am »

I'll have backups. I'll even test the tool on a backup first.

Might run this within a month.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Kaldar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:30:45 pm »

Seems like it should be possible to update a persistent backup file on a second machine with only the information that has changed in each 24h period on the server. The second machine would just make a copy of the persistent backup file each day and save it. Save 7d or so in a row, and each week for a few weeks with autodeletion of files that are too old to be worth saving. This way, MySQL is only getting polled for each day's changes, and the server offloads the work (and storage) to the second machine. Not sure if a second machine would want to be onsite as I have no idea how much data is updated each 24h period, but if its doable, this could maybe get backups offsite in case of fire or some such.
DrEradul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »

Would it be a bad idea to make new toons right now? As an example,  I know it wouldn't be a major loss of losing a new trio of lvl 70s w/ perhaps 100 AAs, 2.0 Epic and working on FG/CG since some people can get to that in a matter of days, but due to my limited gaming time, it takes me quite a bit to get there.  This is your server so I'll respect whatever you do; I'll just have to make them post-character wipe.

What do you think?

Rorle - monk
Stralus - paladin
Hehv - warrior
Berkana - cleric
Eradul - mage
Evilmog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »

Things that would be considered in flagging your character for deletion:

Total Time Played
Last Date Logged In
Player Level
etc.

I'm sure Hunter will take into account creation dates as well.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:29:39 pm »

I probably won't delete any toons that were logged on within the last 12 months, so if you make a new toon now, your safe.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
DrEradul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:11 am »

Good to know!! Thanks for the info everyone.

Rorle - monk
Stralus - paladin
Hehv - warrior
Berkana - cleric
Eradul - mage
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats