Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:58:38 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Equipping Mage Pets (and some other EZ Server newbie questions/concerns)  (Read 9337 times)
tonemand

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »

I just got hooked up into EZ Server over the weekend, but so far I like what I see.  After spending some time reading threads over the course of the last couple days, I read how this server is 99% multi-boxers, and mages seem to be one of the under-represented classes (for various reasons that I read), but since I played a mage in classic EQ, I wanted to give it a go here, though it probably won't be my last character I roll up on EZ.

The one question I have is whether this server's "tuning" makes equipping pets with summoned gear (back in the day, I would summon dual blades, armor, elemental defender, jewelry bag, etc.) worth the effort, and if so, how does it work, cause, at level 35, with my 33 air pet, I cannot get the stupid thing to take gear.  It just hands it back and says "I can't use that."

Obviously I jumped on here and started looking for some info regarding this, but searches have been inconclusive, aside from the "Nobody on EZ uses a mage except for CotH... until they put out that new clicky..." and some other allusions to the uselessness of mages.  Obviously someone's playing a mage besides me, cause we have posts in the class forum, but you get the point.

For now, I am soloing, no guild (yet), and not boxing.  Never got into it back in the day, and even now it seems more probably that I could, I am just going to stay simple for the time being.  Anything I should be aware of going forward?

Thanks in advance for the advice/warnings.

Tarlam Shardonnel
Slyminx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »

I use mage for dps and COTH. You can do wonders with two mages when farming some Tier pieces Cheesy Or 3-4 in ldon, you should try it.

Have you seen my bear Tibbers?
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:33:41 pm »

You are having a hard time giving them gear because you are trying to equip them in the nexus or sfg. Most people give them a pally epic for main hand (Heal proc) and something else for off hand (rogue epic?) till you get into the casters guild. Once you get in there you can hail your pet for pet weapons that have lots more hp than anything else. Mages and other pet classes are very good for cheap dps as you don't have to aug any weapons to get them above 10k dps. If I remember correctly the 3.0 mage pet is about 25k dps and the 4.0 pet is about 32k, I could be a little wrong on the numbers though.

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:43:24 pm »

I disallowed giving pets items in Nexus/SFG cause people were giving quest items to their pet instead of the quest NPC by accident all the time.

Don't forget hailing your pet for Fire Blades!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
tonemand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I am really digging the server so far, and I'm having a blast with some of the friends I came over here with.  Hailing the pet is something I need to try, apparently.  Looking forward to those epic pets, and someday I'll dig into the Casters Guild and find out what that's about.
Lord Traxor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 05:02:29 am »

Not sure if this is known or even intended, but pets in general are not taking any weapons at all.  Tried SK/Mage/Epic/Non Epic/Monster Summoner etc, in various zones.  No type of response from pet, the items are simply given back to your cursor.  Group of folks in /ooc think maybe due to something after the Halloween event caused it? 

Just figured I'd post, ty Wink
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:07:53 am »

I was able to give my epic pets weapons in custom zones, could not in any non custom zone. Couldnt give a spell pet weapons at all in any zone. Fireblades still work fine....but pre CG players trying to give pets weapons are fairly scrood.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:45 am »

Rest of the pets should be fixed after reboot.

Just won't work in zones like The Aybss which uses a default.pl file that over writes the pet pet code in another default.pl

In that case I copy and paste the pet's default.pl file to each individual pet to make it work in zones like Abyss.

Hope makes sense.

Should be able to buff and give items to pets after reboot.

Don't forget can't give items in zones like Surefall or Nexus. This is to prevent players for 'accidently' giving quest items to their pet.

Enjoy!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Lord Traxor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:01:47 am »

Ty for the overall fix!

I do notice a remaining issue, when zoning into custom zones or Nex/SFG the items I had given to my pet poof and then again wont let you re-give due to zone, not sure if that's just me or not.  Thanks again though!
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:56:35 am »

Not sure about the items poofing during zone, but those zones are made to not allow giving items to pets to prevent losing quest items. I'm sure its a minor detail.

Rest of the pets should work now in most zones.

Enjoy!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
jmaneuv011

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:38:53 am »

While we're on a Mage topic here, does anybody know how Monster Summoning VI compares to epic pets?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 142