Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:48:11 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Shadow  (Read 15586 times)
Dethundrel

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:50:43 am »

It was stated in a previous thread that his jump was now only 50%.  And there were plans to look into putting a cap on the number of jumps he can do.  Has there been any news or progress for it?
Last night I spent 4 hours chasing his ass all around HoH. He jumped 14, yes that's Fourteen times on me. And to take the cake, on the 14th jump, he just poofed into thin air, and never reappeared. It was frustrating to say the least to have him jump that many times to begin with, but to have him vanish all together, I've never done it before, but I will admit I fuckin rage quit hard! So, once I get a new mouse, do we have anything planned for changing him?
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:25 am »

I could probably tweak it to be a max of maybe 2-4x for Shadowstepping. Right now its just a % chance each time. Its just a matter of having time to tweak it, and I'm still needing to finish up T6 here. Shadow hasn't changed much since I made him. Guess the RNG beat you this time Sad

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Strai

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »

Have to agree here, Shadows jumping does seem to have gotten rather unwieldy; i seem to chase him through a minimum of 5 steps up to 13 lately. Honestly i'd still rather have the old Shadow back with the ton of hp's over the stepping any time, the charm farming used to be a bottle neck but now it almost seems the bottle has been corked.
Lucadian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:07:17 pm »

I usually never get him to step on me more than 3 times. (I credit this to him "knowing" my DPS is crap Wink
But I have recently seen a lot of people in guild and in /ooc complain about having him step upwards of 10 times pretty regularly.

Quote from: Hunter link=topic=2665.msg35063#msg35063 [/quote

You need to have a higher post count like Xiggie or Fugitive.
Ogah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »

I say don't cap his step but make him susceptible to stuns Smiley
Dethundrel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »

If the jump chance is 50%, then somethin else is screwy. Statistically speaking, by the time I got to 14, he should have only a 1 in 16,384 chance of making a jump ( yes I know it's still 50%, some won't understand the math ). If you /random 1000, you also have a 1 in 16,384 chance that you will get less than 500 more than 14 times in a row.
And in all the times I've killed him, not 1 time has he ever died right away, he has ALWAYS jumped on me after respawn.
Even ignoring the number of jumps, why the hell would he just poof on me? HoH has been doin funky stuff lately, if my 4.0 T3 war dies on an Avatar of Heavens but my mostly T1 bard with only 1 3.0 and 1 1.5 can tank it down it just boggles me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:39:30 pm by Dethundrel » Logged
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:22:26 pm »

I agree. Statically he shouldn't be jumping that much. RNG = Broken? Sad

Hunter - EZ Server GM
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:37:57 pm »

There's absolutely no doubt there is more than 50 or 60% chance of him jumping. He always jumps on me at least once, almost always twice, and usually 4-6 times. I'm killing him with UC war, UC monk(full v augs), Sorc 50 pali (almost uc, full v augs) and 3 mages 4.0 for extra dps with a tag-along shaman. He always pops below 50% and above someting like 12%, he seems to have a chance to do it about every so many seconds after hes below 50% health. The people who kill him in 1-2 jumps have insane dps, so he has less chance, the slower you kill the more he will jump. When I used to have less dps he would step 10 times regularly.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »

If the chance is 50% and there is only one random check each time you engage him then it would seem that jumping 14 times would be extreme.

However, if there is a random check every x seconds or x% damage then there's no way to know how many jump checks failed, and it could be that it passed 14 times out of 20, 50, 100, or more.
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »

Usually only jumps once for me. The times it jumps more then once it jumps either 3 or 4 times.
The trigger seems to be around 15% life.
Not sure if its written as:
If hp < value
or
If hp = value
or
If hp < value && hp > value
or if he uses
If hp <= value and a $random_result

Each way has pro and con.
Only thing I will comment on is that if using $random_result it favors certain values.

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »

If the jump chance is 50%, then somethin else is screwy. Statistically speaking, by the time I got to 14, he should have only a 1 in 16,384 chance of making a jump ( yes I know it's still 50%, some won't understand the math )

It almost sounds like you don't understand the math...

Before you started, you could suggest the odds of him jumping 14 times were lower, but "by the time you got to 14" the odds were exactly 1 in 2...

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Lucadian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:06:27 pm »

To comment on the warrior dying/bard living... I noticed recently my warrior has been taking insane amounts of damage during some encounters, too. Had him die to Shadow for the first time last night, but then my pally stepped over and tanked him with no problem with about 60k less hp. Idk.. could just be bad luck, but if everyone else is having problems, too, maybe it should be looked at.

Quote from: Hunter link=topic=2665.msg35063#msg35063 [/quote

You need to have a higher post count like Xiggie or Fugitive.
Noel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »

Damage shield on Shadow?

or maybe he is reposting a lot?
Dethundrel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 10:02:35 pm »

If the jump chance is 50%, then somethin else is screwy. Statistically speaking, by the time I got to 14, he should have only a 1 in 16,384 chance of making a jump ( yes I know it's still 50%, some won't understand the math )

It almost sounds like you don't understand the math...

Before you started, you could suggest the odds of him jumping 14 times were lower, but "by the time you got to 14" the odds were exactly 1 in 2...

As I said, some people will not understand the math.  I was speaking statistically. Let me break it down to help you understand.
If he has a 1 in 2 chance of jumping and does jump, the next time, the odds of him jumping again ( making the jump check ) would be 1 in 4, since he already hit the first jump on the 1 of 2 odd.  Next jump is a 1 in 8 chance, then 1 in 16 chance ect.  Exponentiate it out 14 times, and you get odds of 1 in 16,384.
Yes he has a 1 in 2 chance of jumping each individual time, but the odds of him actually doing it 14 times is 1 in 16,384. Based on simple statistical data.
If you have something insiteful to add, please do so.  If you are just here to try and pick apart my shit, find something more constructive to do.
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »

I've killed Shadow zillions of times.. Since i had my first UC, my strat has always been Either UC the other toons through Shadow / V2s at the same time (get more tokens, cash, v2s, and v1s at once)... and eventually burn down T3/T4 mobs while running ldon at the same time on the toon needing the UC.. I love multi-tasking, what can i say? Smiley

But yeah, i've killed shadow *a lot*. And I've never, ever seen the good side of his RNG.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is this:

We all know he can start jumping at like 44%.. What i am guessing is happening is the code is having him check 50% jump at 44%, 50% jump at 40%, 50% jump at 30% life, 50% jump at 20% life, 50% jump at 15% life....

And 50% at 14,13,12,11,10 (jk on the last part)...

But from my experience he's doing the 50% check multiple times in the same encounter.. And since theres a good 6-7 different spots in his lifebar where we see him jump.. He's likely checking 50% jump at each spot.. Which accounts for the utter rarity of him not jumping at all *on a fresh spawn not a rejump from public someone else has been killing*  (I think i've seen Shadow die without a jump 3 times in my entire career of probably 300 shadow kills thats a worse RNG drought than T5 Essences).

I got all the toons i'd conceivably want UC'd done already so i don't even care anymore. But i'd bet dollars to doughnuts he's getting jump checks with 50% jump at each section of his lifebar, and that's whats effing the expected math all up. It's not even remotely close to a 50% jump percentage, as anyone who kills him regularly will tell you emphatically.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:55:36 pm by Ponzi » Logged

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6131