Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 01:39:45 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Video Card problems  (Read 20507 times)
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:30 pm »

It seems I spoke too soon. I got excited, loaded up my toons, spawned a boss in T4, get halfway through it and complete freeze. After i boot back up, same problem as before. Still not sure if its a driver issue or a hardware issue.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »

rofl, see you at ~9pm then.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:26 pm »

Hurley, at home. Either message me through forums or start emailing hateborne@gmail.com

Go!

-Hate

Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 08:45:12 pm »

E-mail sent
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »

I am out of ideas. Hurley and I tried a variety of things and the conclusion seemed to be hardware failure.

Each time it kept re-inserting a bad driver automatically.

Uninstalled nvidia drivers, deleted C:\Nvidia, restarted. Failed
Updated the driver manually through Device Manager, restarted. Failed
Uninstalled drivers, deleted anything Nvidia, ran Driver Sweeper, restarted. Failed
Installed via nvidia driver tool, custom installation, "Clean Installation", restarted. Failed

After all the attempts, I can only assume hardware failure or OS drive cache corruption.

-Hate

Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »

Yup, it seems I am doomed to get some new hardware. Thanks again for all your help Hate.
nulland
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

Just throwing this out there to keep in the back of your mind, but power supplies can cause a whole slew of seemingly unrelated problems.  It would be more relevant in this case if the card in question took additional power.  If possible, slap the card in a different machine, or try a different power supply if you have one on hand.  Don't make a special effort to get one, though.  Probability-wise, I think it's the card.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »

Nah the graphics card is the only real problem. If i take it out and use on-board card it works fine. My only problem with that is, my on-board card is not compatible with DirectX 11, so playing anything is impossible at the moment and as far as I can tell, downgrading DirectX is not possible.
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:41 pm »

Are you actually trying to play something that requires DirectX 11?

DirectX is backward compatible so you can use anything that your card supports (I assume DirectX 9 or 10) and below. 

The only small wrinkle is that EQ is linked against a specific version of DirectX 9, and you need to make sure you have the matching DLL file.  If you install the runtime linked below you should have no trouble with EQ as long as you have the right drivers for your onboard video installed and it supports at least DirectX 9.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 03:11:50 pm »

Whe I try downloading that file it tells me a more current version of DirectX is currently installed and installation is not necessary. However when i try starting EQ, it gives me an error that says "No 3D device found"
nulland
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »

Nah the graphics card is the only real problem. If i take it out and use on-board card it works fine. My only problem with that is, my on-board card is not compatible with DirectX 11, so playing anything is impossible at the moment and as far as I can tell, downgrading DirectX is not possible.

Well that's precisely why I'm saying to keep it in the back of your mind.  The integrated video no doubt takes much less power than the dedicated one, so just because the integrated works doesn't prove the health of the power supply.  I think you're right in that the problem truly is the card, but if you get to a point where you are about to go down the rabbit hole, pull the scope back a bit to include the PSU.  I've seen too many techs swap out motherboards, CPU's, etc., when all along the problem was the PSU.
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 04:18:45 pm »

Whe I try downloading that file it tells me a more current version of DirectX is currently installed and installation is not necessary. However when i try starting EQ, it gives me an error that says "No 3D device found"

Well, you do need to run the eq options editor to change the video card it looks for after you've changed to a different one.  They look it up by name/guid and don't just use the first/only one available.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 04:42:37 pm »

Already done that.
nulland
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »

I will say that I had an issue with EQEmu where I had to replace dsetup.dll with one extracted from the DX9 installer.  This file also gets patched to one that doesn't work by Duxa's.  Try it to see if it makes any difference; I could not even start EQ until I slapped this in the main EQ directory.  For your own peace of mind, scan it at virustotal.com or virusscan.jotti.org.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3580324/DSETUP.dll
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »

Already done that.

Do any Direct3D games work?  Do the dxdiag tests complete successfully?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 223