Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 14, 2024, 06:26:48 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Video Card problems  (Read 18873 times)
Hurley

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:18 pm »

Hey guys, looks like I am out of commission for a couple days unless someone has a fix to this problem that I have not thought of yet. My computer must have crashed tonight when i was AFK and when I came back it appeared to be in safe mode with the poor resolution and large icons. I rebooted and had no luck. I then went online and researched and found that it is usually a driver issue so I re-installed the latest driver for my OS(Windows 7 64bit) and restarted my computer and still no luck. My card is a Nvidia GeForce 8500GT(I know a little old but its all I have for now). I have since taken the card out and am running the on board graphics so I can actually see the screen but cannot play games on this. Anyone have any ideas? Its seeming to me like my card is simply done for but I figured I would ask as I am not the best with things like this.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:51:55 pm »

A) You using HDMI or VGA/DVI cable from video card?
I had a similar issue with a dead VGA/DVI cable. I spent 5 hours trying EVERYTHING I could think to test, even changing out cards. I finally made the connection that it had to be the monitor or the connection. Sure enough, went to HDMI (or really ANY OTHER CABLE) and it popped back in to 1920x1200.

B) Did you fully uninstall, restart, THEN reinstall video card drivers?
This can cause nightmarish issues at times. Installing over isn't always as thorough as it should be. UNINSTALL all nVidia software via "Add/Remove Programs". DELETE C:\Nvidia (may be C:\Program Files\Nvidia). RESTART computer. Install now. If you are still getting a boot to safe mode, you may have a much more serious issue.

C) Were you using new(er/est) drivers? If so, you may want to go to nVidia's site and download OLDER drivers (like 3-6 months older). This can help if current gen drivers roflstomp your performance or stability.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Duladian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:30:17 am »

Another question to be asked is, do you have any drivers that auto update. If you do it possibly can be a driver conflict. This can includes audio, motherboard, chipset, even Windows or any other device you have installed/previous installed but didn't delete.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:22:26 am »

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried a couple more things based on some suggestions including yours hate. It was not a cable issue as it works fine if I remove the card and plug the monitor back into the on-board port. I did delete the drivers completely and re-installed which appeared to have helped, but I was let down to know that only the color and resolution was somehow restored, but not function of the graphics card. When I run dxdiag, under display settings is says N/A for most of them indicating there is no card present. When I try to run EQ now it gives me an error saying "No 3D devices were found". I have seen this problem on other websites but it seems to be a directx problem and with windows 7, I do not believe you can un-install or re-install directx 11.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:34:26 am by Hurley » Logged
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:19:21 am »

When/if I get home from work this evening, I'll blow up your forums messagebox. There are a variety of programs that allow quick, one-time remote access (both free of charge and safely). If you are comfortable with that, go ahead and download TeamViewer 7.

Assuming I get home at a reasonable time, I can try to debug it further.

-Hate

Griz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »

When the card is installed, does it actually show up in device manager? You can still use your onboard video to troubleshoot even with the card installed by changing your BIOS to use onboard rather than PCI express video.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »

No there is no graphics card present in the device manager.
Nexxel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »

Have you tried removing the card from the Motherboard. reboting the system, shutting down, then reistalling the card into the mother board and restaring? if not do so and see, if it then (the device manager) see's the card.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

Yes I tried that and had no luck. I even took the card out, completely deleted the driver, put the card back in and re-installed the driver to eliminate any corrupt file chances and still had no luck. I am on the side of the card being no good any more. The fan is still running and the monitor is plugged into the port on the card not the port on the motherboard so I am clueless at this point.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »

Minor delay.... I have no power atm. So yeah, will be a bit.

-Hate

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »

Ok, power has been stable for nearly an hour. If you want to use TeamViewer to let me debug, start blowing up my messagebox on forums or reply to this thread Hurley.

Past 2am, sleep time.

-Hate
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:28:05 am by hateborne » Logged

Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »

Hey hate, sorry I didn't reply last night but I was not at home. I will be home all night tonight after about 7pm so any time you have free just let me know and we can try something.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »

Don't worry, it was a rather "off-the-cuff" planning. I will be home ~9pm EST. We will try then.

Please make sure you install TeamViewer 6 or 7 before this evening though. We will need it.

-Hate

Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:20 pm »

Well there are two ways to fix something, knowledge/skill and luck. I believe I am a recipient of the later as I re-tried everything I had already tried one more time and for some reason, it worked and I am back in action. Thank you for everyone who contributed ideas and thank you Hate for the offer to help out even further. I will see you all in game.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Fantastic, glad to hear it! Welcome back.

-Hate

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6137
  • Latest: Draylan
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65037