Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 12:54:10 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you load up?  (Read 4799 times)
Dethundrel

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:01:19 pm »

When I run 6 toons as once, I usually open 6 windows of EQ first.  I log into the account and choose the server, then switch and start logging into the next account.  I used to be able to do this with no problem, and all 6 toons would all be loading at the same time.  Same thing when it came to Character Select.  They would all get there at about the same time, and I just hit Enter World 1 right after the other.

Now when I try to do this, I get a lot of pauses between switching windows, and every time I do it, at least 2 of the clients crash back to login while the other 4 make it all the way into the world.  As long as I don't try to run them around or zone, they are fine.  If I try to zone one, it will never recover and I have to shutdown and restart that window from scratch.  By the time I get the other 2 accounts logged back in and all the way in the world, 20 minutes have gone by.

I've made no changes to any hardware of software on my computer, no ISP or any kind of service changes have made.  I've not tampered with any files in relation to EQ or otherwise.  Not sure WTF is goin on, which leads me to my topic statement: How do you load up?

In what order do you do things, do you do them 1 at a time all the way in, 2 at a time, do you load left to right, right to left, 1 instance at a time to char select then all the others?  Would love to magically find something that's working faster than what I am doing.  Lemme know how you roll!
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »

I am using Titanium, so I load mine in one by one. I also use WinEQ for the EQPlayNice and window selector keys. So I load up my characters in a pretty specific order (Hateborne, Verlorenen, Druid (bard named Druid..), Trashcan, Odionato, Haatgeboren).

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Dethundrel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:47:31 pm »

Suppose I sould have put this in the first post:

When I was using Titanium, I used WinEQ2.  Now that I am on SoD, WinEQ2 actually slows me down.  It makes all my windows choppy, loading takes twice as long, and characters are very unstable and constantly crash.

I'm runnin 8GB DDR2 Ram with a 2.6 GHz Dual Core on Windows XP 64 bit.  I still use DirectX 9.0c with an ATI HD 5670 2GB onboard.

As I said, I've made no changes at all in hardware or software, just was curious to see if anyone has a trick or 2 about how they load to see if I could get some better results.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:47 am »

A trick I learned with XP was to minimize my windows from time to time. If you open up task manager you will see that when you are loading or zoning your clients will swell to about 70 to 120k mem usage. Minimizing them drops them all the way down to 25k. Remaximizing them puts them back up to 35k ish but they slowly bleed back up. I am not sure if it was a memory leak with the way windows handles it or what but minimizing my toons from time to time makes a huge difference. I would go from choppy performance to crisp performance.

Lucadian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:55:56 am »

I do mine pretty slow, I guess, but since I don't suffer crashes it doesn't seem so bad to me. I load mine in one by one. Load in the main on my "main" version of EQ, then when he is totally in I load in all of my boxes from my "box" version of EQ 1 by 1.. Takes a little longer this way, probably, but I don't mind it, really.

Quote from: Hunter link=topic=2665.msg35063#msg35063 [/quote

You need to have a higher post count like Xiggie or Fugitive.
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:33 am »

I use Isboxxer to manage all my goon squad loading (makes it real easy for window and toon management)

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
oldepharte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

Intel E800 class core 2 duo processor at 3.16 GB ram on Windows Vista, MQ2 classic, HoT client.  No Genbot, ISBoxer, etc... task bar / alt-tab all the way down!

For T5 raids I run a crew of 6 +1 active and a crew of 7-9 inactive toons.  The actives are actually playing, the others are at the zone in for credits.   It has always been a pig loading up, sometimes taking as long as 45 minutes to get everyone loaded and zoned into the GI. 

My experience has been that I can vastly improve each client's functionality by merely spinning each character around in a circle a few times, angling the camera view up and down and changing the rotation direction from clockwise to counter-clockwise a couple of times.  Purely a guess, but this has worked since beta for improving client performance on live (at least from '99-'06), so I've always assumed it was the graphics processor handling one-time computations.

I'll have to try minimizing the zone line crew and see if that improves things.  Not sure how well that would work with the active crew as I am on each char window every fight, some of them more than once per fight.  /shrug
Digz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

im downright amazed at how fast loading times are for the underfoot client, i run all 6 of my toons from an ssd and i never really understood why it took 10-15 seconds to load from server select to the character selection screen. hell i load faster then that in most modern FPS'.

soon as i switched to the underfoot client i was blown away, literally under 5 second load ups. Anymore then 6 and i have a separate folder on my 2tb hard drive...which still loaded insanely fast, under 7-8 seconds easy.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:43:39 pm »

The minimizing trick wont work with vista or 7. Only XP.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 299
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)