Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:52:35 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Windows Issue  (Read 4126 times)
Hurley

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:48:39 pm »

Hey guys,
I hate to be the one who has all the PC issues, but I recently built a new PC and am having an issue with it. My PC randomly restarts itself with seemingly no pattern. I am pretty sure it is not a hardware problem as everything is brand new and seems to be in fine working order. The CPU is not overheating, all fans are working correctly. I disable auto-restart in the system settings so I could see the error its having but I still get the restart with no BSOD. Anyone heard of this or have any ideas?
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:55:52 pm »

Control Panel -> Administrative Tool -> Event Viewer.

From there, Windows Logs -> System.

This will list any system issues. If not here, you can check Application as well.

If it is restarting at random it could be a variety of things. Overheating is the most common. Next is Power Supply (bad one or too low for your needs). Finally, there is just plain ole' hardware failure.

If machine is less than 30 days old, hardware failure is possibly (look up 'burn in failure') but unlikely.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:04:25 pm »

I've found several errors but I cannot locate the source of the problem. I am not sure if the errors I am seeing are being caused by the restart, or vice versa. One of them is e1cexpress, kernel power, DNS client events.
Tananthalas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

What is your power supply rated at and what is the total wattage of all your components on maximum draw?  Given the fact that it is a new computer this is probably your issue.  The other possibility I have seen is that the RAM is bad or you have a memory leak somewhere.  Memtest software can help track that type of problem down.

Tanann, Xinora, Toade, Navarre, Ariakis, Verminaard
Lauralanthalasa, Dezra, Astinus, Alhana, Goldmoon
Noel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

DNS will not cause this, Kernel can, as well as e1express (which is an intel network card driver, if memory serves me right).

While you don't think it is hardware - i t can be. Make sure to:

1 - update ALL drivers (for motherboard chipset, video, etc)
2 - run Memtest to test your RAM for errors
3 - run PRIME (for an hour or so) to test system stability under CPU load
4 - re-install Windows clean and run without the game to see if it crashes.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am hoping it is all better now. I ran Memtest and got an error within 7mins. Took the ram out, reinstalled it and it ran for over an hour with no errors. I am thinking one of the sticks was not installed correctly and was the cause of my problem. If the problem persists, I guess I have bad RAM.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6131
  • Latest: appathy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65020
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 209