Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 02:16:41 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Weapon  (Read 42917 times)
Camric

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:15 pm »

Thanks Strix -

The whole idea came from thinking of what I enjoyed most about EZ and specifically which events/encounters.

The Halloween event is by far my favorite encounter, while ever long grinds (Scepter, UC, etc) with little change in scenery is my least favorite.  When contrasting that with # of players during daily activity which represents long grinds vs the Halloween event, there is no comparison.  The server population skyrockets during the Halloween event by 200% or more.   In my mind, that translates to players wanting more dynamic content and less continual grinds.  In fact, it's very possible that EZ could rival P99 regarding population with more "Halloween like" content similar to what was suggested in providing random content with legendary items.  Another point of reference for such dynamic content where populations spiked on live is the "Fable" events. 

Ultimately, the point is to provide content for players to enjoy without increasing the effort of the system owner.

-Cam
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2012, 02:47:44 pm »

T7 is planned for similar to Halloween.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Nexxel

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »

Awsome, Now to get on an try and get outa t5  Grin
Strix

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

In my mind, that translates to players wanting more dynamic content and less continual grinds. 

Cam - 100% spot on!!!

There is a carrying capactity to the tolerace players have for grinds.  Not just on EZ but in MMOs in general.  It was an early answer to player addiction in Everquest but it soon became obvious to Sony that there needed to be other ways to hook players.  Dynamic content was that answer. 

Really, the grind required to get the Scepter is beyond the limit of even the most dedicated EQ player who have been on EZ for years.  It is neither fun or interesting and doesn't yeild anything that will really make a difference.  It's kind of funny to think that you can create 12+ toons all T5 and fully Augged in less time than it takes to put a useless rank 10 scepter on one toon.

It's about the math I guess. 

Do I spend 1000+ hours getting a UW (and turning myself insane at the same time) or do I grind out 20+ toons and be 10 times more powerful in the process?

Getting back to your idea Cam - I think that Legendary Items (like an Ultimate Weapon) don't need to be game-breaking to make players lust after them.  Just the chance to get an item with Legendary status with stats a couple of teirs higher than the current end game items would be enough to do it.

And make them damn rare in dynamic content.

Strix

Lexington

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 06:28:23 am »

true, but atleast with the scepter you can get the 10 ranks for all ur 20 characters at the same time as you get it for one since it's a task. Smiley

Camric

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:38 am »

true, but atleast with the scepter you can get the 10 ranks for all ur 20 characters at the same time as you get it for one since it's a task. Smiley

Fair point, and there needs to be some content like this.

For legendary items that have unique stats that are highly desired it should be rare and worthy of the effort.  Again, the idea is to create content that doesn't feel like an endless grind that is strictly repeatable.  But more of a challenge, adventure, and something entertaining that players will invest time to earn and enjoy the entire process.

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:04 am »

I'm trying to make each tier, and each grind quest, different from each other.

RoA - Re-Leveling
Charms - Uber Rare Drops
Sceptre - Task Kill Quest for whole raid to get same time
Shield - Boss kills from each tier
etc

Each Tier zone is different, from Place Holders, to no trash, boss gem turn ins, triggered spawns, A to B dungeon crawls like Anguish, Muliple zones like LDoN, or just randomly killing trash/bosses for chance of loot like BoT. Next zone T7 expected to be a new style as well (although similar to Halloween Event).

I am looking for new ideas for grind, and ways to earn uber gear without seeming like a boring grind.

Will continue to read everyones input.

Thanks

Hunter - EZ Server GM
metsu

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 11:11:53 am »

can consider a quest that needs to turn in 100 of each ore. /run away~~
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:56 am »

i think it'd be uniqe to hae a quest not use essances and SLS's lol....i like the idea of essance of nature *from PoGrowth* lol anyway there's alot you can do and have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas so far.
Danjal

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:01 pm »

I'm trying to make each tier, and each grind quest, different from each other.

RoA - Re-Leveling
Charms - Uber Rare Drops
etc

Each Tier zone is different, from Place Holders, to no trash, boss gem turn ins, triggered spawns, A to B dungeon crawls like Anguish, Muliple zones like LDoN, or just randomly killing trash/bosses for chance of loot like BoT. Next zone T7 expected to be a new style as well (although similar to Halloween Event).

I am looking for new ideas for grind, and ways to earn uber gear without seeming like a boring grind.

Will continue to read everyones input.

Thanks
I noticed just about anything can be auged but the charm. I would like to see an aug specifically for the charm ( since its already socket 7 you can't put it somewhere else ). Maybe something like the old pop charm, not aug, that got better with the flags you got from killing pop progression bosses. You could make it start at qvic, getting a flag for all the 15 bosses, then tacvi, pod,pog etc. Each time you get a flag or maybe the tier your aug gets better. You could even put in extras for old world dungeons.
Strix

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »

RoA - Re-Leveling
Charms - Uber Rare Drops
etc

Each of these grinds are dynamically different.  And with the exception of the Scepter (currently), all seem within reach with just the right amount of encouragement for players along the way to keep at it.

The Sceptre represents a grind on the server that is the threshold of tolerance.  You could set up the grind for the UW to be of equal difficulty to the scepter and still see nobody with it in 18 months from now.

If the grinds are meant to stagger - you could drop the difficulty of the sceptre marginally (ie. Players could recieve a lvl 1 scepter for killing the bosses in clumps of 5). 

eg.  One run = 2 x lvl 1 Sceptres. 

While this would halve the difficulty level of achieving the sceptre I would still maintain its level of top difficult grind on the server (excluding the UW) whilst giving players incentive to keep going.

Some thoughts:

Fastest times I've seen these completed (not purchased from Rewards bot):
RoA = 1 week
Charms = 2 weeks
Shield = 1 day
Sceptre - 12 months (and still counting)

UW (in current form) - 3 years +???

Average length of a player on EZ server = 7 months (Basing this on 141 players who have come through HoS from March 11, 2011 to now).

Average length of player currently in T6 atm = approx. 2 years

So....

At drop rate of 2 essences per day (which is a little high for casual players) the fastest time frames on UW will look like this:
100 x Qvic = 50 days
100 x Tacvi = 50 days
100 x PoD = 100 days
100 x PoG = 100 days
100 x Abyss = 100 days (2 per day is not realistic on these)
100 x Angish = 100 days

Fastest Total Time = 500 days

And this is assuming you won't use any Essences to Aug yourself as you go.  Add gearing into this equation and you have a grind of 3 years or more.

It also assumes the high end will do nothing more for the next 3 years pursuing this item.

On a server where you're most dedicated players have been here on average 2 years - you might as well make this item and tell us it's a million essences each teir.

I almost wonder if 50 per teir is still too much?

Strix

lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »

I noticed just about anything can be auged but the charm. I would like to see an aug specifically for the charm ( since its already socket 7 you can't put it somewhere else ). Maybe something like the old pop charm, not aug, that got better with the flags you got from killing pop progression bosses. You could make it start at qvic, getting a flag for all the 15 bosses, then tacvi, pod,pog etc. Each time you get a flag or maybe the tier your aug gets better. You could even put in extras for old world dungeons.

Augmenting the charm seems like a good idea, but in practice it'd be a pain in the ass.  Every time you wanted to upgrade your charm you'd need to remove the aug, apply the upgrade in the magic box, then aug the charm again, otherwise the aug would poof.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »

Augmenting the charm seems like a good idea, but in practice it'd be a pain in the ass.  Every time you wanted to upgrade your charm you'd need to remove the aug, apply the upgrade in the magic box, then aug the charm again, otherwise the aug would poof.

Keep in mind the nightmare that is upgrading a weapon. Remove all 3 augs, turn in components for next epic, then slot dance to get them back into place.

Danjal, you aren't alone. ;-)

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 12:04:08 am »

Well, just keep the 7 in the UC/UCv2, but remove the aug slot from all other charms?
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 12:28:02 am »

Keep in mind the nightmare that is upgrading a weapon. Remove all 3 augs, turn in components for next epic, then slot dance to get them back into place.

There are 50 levels of charm and each upgrade is lore.  People are already crying that charm farming takes too long, imagine the qq if they had to do the aug dance every time they found an upgrade so they would be able to pick up the next one.

Upgrading an auged weapon is also a pita, but it happens less often and you're already standing next to an aug pool.

Putting it on the UC/UCv2 is an idea, but then you're just catering to the uber people and making everyone else sad that they can't be uber too.

I think it's be cool to put something in that slot too, but I don't think it would be as useful as you might think unless you're sitting on a level 25 or 50 charm for a while.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)