Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:18:46 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UF client on Win 7?  (Read 7610 times)
Liveye

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:48 pm »

Trying to get the underfoot client from hateborne's files to run on my Win 7 laptop so I can squeeze in a few more boxed characters, but even after the options editor it gives me that d3dx9_30.dll is missing crap. Do you need to downgrade to dx9 or something to get EQ to work? Tried running in compatibility mode for XP SP3 which I know works since I'm playing EZ with that on my good comp, but still nothing. Any ideas?...
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »

Download this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
Run it, and be happy.
Liveye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »

So I do need to downgrade? Hope that doesn't make Windows bitch at me. I thought I remembered something about new Windows versions needing the DX11, not just newer video cards. Thanks for the advice...
Liveye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »

Okay, well one question since so many people have had to do this. Are you still able to use the newer video cards that require DX10 or higher to run properly? Or maybe they just require DX10 to use DX10 features. Hell I dunno, I just like to have as many resources to burn as possible, not that I'll be trying to jam a dedicated graphics card into this dinky laptop. I wish they had USB video cards that came with their own power source. I have no idea how that would work, but hell, USB ports are used for everything these days...
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »

Unless I am mistaken, this isn't a downgrade. It just installs the packages/DLLs/libraries/etc for DX9.

Did you run the OptionsEditor.exe in your Everquest directory as is mentioned in various places?

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 06:24:03 pm »

It is just DirectX 9 which Windows 7 has a subset of, but not every version.  Underfoot, and many other games, require the specific version they were built with.  If you had installed it from Steam it would have installed the necessary files by running the DX9 installer, but that doesn't happen with just a zip file.  All the DX9 installer does is add the extra specific versions you need.
Liveye

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:58 pm »

Yeah, I ran it before and after I ran the patchme shortcut. Both times I got the error message. But the dx download did the trick, it runs fine now...
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:34:08 am »

Start playing EQ today, live, and you need to run DX9.0c. There are a lot of games out today that require this, because of the way they recognize certain hardware, and legacy code (core code from when the game first launch that is too difficult/impossible to change).

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:05 pm »

Wish I knew about needing DX9.0c cause last 1-2 vacations couldn't get UF to work on laptop, and it was a copy/paste of a good clean working copy of Underfoot that refused to run on the laptop. I bet that was the issue.

Had to use Titanium at the time to work on content.

I have a BIG vacation coming up soon and expecting to work on a lot of content. Knowing about DX for UF will be a big help Smiley

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:03:20 pm »

Are you taking any suggestions for the layout for ToFS? Is the idea still for it to be a T3ish zone with alternative v1 drops?
Brutality38

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:53:57 am »

Had the same issue! now it works great after it added....um well whatever it added. Thanks!

Gunney/Fadareth/Faderaths/Kadri/Phera/Arese
   war        rng         brd        ply      clr    shm
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081