Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:16:01 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Pet Classes  (Read 20738 times)
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:45 pm »

I have to agree, the free dps from pet classes without any work is dumb. You want the dps from the pets you have to manage them. You want the dps from the pets, be prepared to tank all the adds when you can't manage to keep retargetting your pet on the adds. You can't expect to just roll up into T5/6 with a bunch of pets whose owners have barely what it takes to enter the zone and get the same thing others get from millions of plat and dozens of hours farming for mats. I know not everyone has done this, I know that there are some pet classes with a UC but by in large the majority of them are shit geared except for the required armor to get in the zone and the epic for the pet. I like it that pets die easy, it's the trade off. Now if a way is found to force people to dump dozens of hours and millions of plat into their pet classes I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, for that matter, when I walked into T5 with my 4.0 and T4 gear I got one rounded, same as your pets. That is the way it is supposed to work. 4.0 pets should get one rounded in T5. Hell until a plat sinc for pets is found so should T5 pets just not as often.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:11:19 pm by Xiggie AKA Stone » Logged

Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »

But, for that matter, when I walked into T5 with my 4.0 and T4 gear I got one rounded, same as your pets. That is the way it is supposed to work. 4.0 pets should get one rounded in T5.

No apparently /god mode on and entitlement.. when playing a pet class is a must...

But like I said I play all classes except the BL so find what works for yourself and manage that goon.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:16:15 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Adydar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 04:02:21 pm »

I get it, low post count, assumed I'm new and here for EZ mode.

I have played on EZ for ~3 years off and on, beat lots of bosses the old ways and while under geared, that does not mean that providing suggestions for a class I enjoy is requesting god mode and entitlement.

Anyway, Hate thanks for your time and constructive discussion.

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »

I don't think they were aiming it directly at you, but at the bulk of the players that run necros and afk-steamroll content. Those same necros get to T5 and QQ that they solo it.

The pets were a huge problem before (as you may remember) when it was a bunch of pet classes AFK with pets attacking, doing significantly more DPS than those that geared up their melee with augs/charms/etc.

The pets are a significant portion of the DPS (possibly too high, I dunno yet), but the caster's arsenal is finally stepping up to the plate. Maybe, in time, the pet damage will be lowered slightly (to bring the DPS of the class in to line).

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 05:59:54 pm »

I don't think they were aiming it directly at you, but at the bulk of the players
Thanks for pointing that out hate

Arthon you just happen to be the last post before I posted. Hate hit this on the head it was not pointed at you don't take it as such.

Low post count or not you have made a lot of good/great posts in your few that you have. No one is shunning you.

As such there has been a lot of love given to the pet classes, there is a fine line of balance you find yourself walking as a GM when trying to "tune" pet casters / Nuke Casters on EZ.. I wouldn't want the job ask Hate.. he normally gets a grunt and an "FU" from me in vent or /tells when trying to find this balance..
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:02:00 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 10:33:07 am »

As I stated before, I agree, pets shouldnt be a free/cheap tradeoff to people who dont want to farm. It SHOULD take some effort and time and cash to make them viable, as I suggested. But they SHOULD be an alternative. The concept that I just HAVE to roll a monk, or a rogue, or a zerker to be viable dps is absurd....just as it was absurd that at one point here you damned near HAD to be a warrior to be DPS. And, as I suggested, devise ways to improve pets that DO take time and effort.

And, again, I really didnt see where anyone was whining that they couldnt pet solo T4+ content. I certainly wasnt, and I didnt see where the others were, either. I think necros being able to solo content to 3.0+ is rather silly, as well. But does that mean you then make the class almost worthless later in the game? There has to be an alternative. Thoughtful balancing could provide it.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:50 am »

I think necros being able to solo content to 3.0+ is rather silly, as well. But does that mean you then make the class almost worthless later in the game? There has to be an alternative. Thoughtful balancing could provide it.

This hasn't gone unnoticed, it's just a simple matter of HUGE time investment to fix (which I don't have at the moment and Hunter doesn't with T7 development).

As for necros being worthless later in the game, you may not have a Sorc50/UC on it. The DoTs have been recently scaled up to be excessively powerful. I actually balanced around them being the higher(est?) DPS when fighting bosses as they take a good bit to get up and maintain their DoTs.

Thank you for the input. :-)

-Hate

Fjord

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 11:33:01 am »

And, as I suggested, devise ways to improve pets that DO take time and effort.

Pet Classes

Multi-zoned questing for items and/or spells that improve individual casters. It would force people to focus on ONE character at a time, rather than just loading up 30 chars and going afk in t3/t4 during double loot. If you want the items to be scaling through tier, Halloween type spawns would be great. Collect an item from each spawn in each zone, combine to make an awesome item. The LDoN Mage robe is a good example of an item that provides a nice little burst of DPS, but requires you to pay attention to the timer and have it unbagged to use it. Maybe a 2 minute, pet only, holy knightstrike proc with 5 minute cool down? Extended LDoN buff? Things like that would certainly make me spend a little more time and pay a little more attention to my Mages.

The idea of making something harder to play, but better overall breaks up the traditional "You should be grouping X, Y, Y,Z,Z,Z" formula and gives people a real decision to make when forming their groups. This has been done pretty well recently with Wizards/Bards. Harder to obtain is one thing, but there's always going to be a handful of people who will do it relatively quickly and then put the character on auto-pilot from there on out. Harder to play is the limiting factor.

This is coming from someone who has 3 mages and a Zerker simply because I haven't felt like doing Augs yet. I know after a certain point this is not viable DPS and I'm already working on Monks, etc., but being able to have a viable mage or two after doing some aug-like questing would be pretty cool.

Fanon_Emarr

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:29 pm »

Why not simply strip the pets of their innate abilities and add class-specific, must-equip items to the crafter's guild with clicky buffs that add procs, etc?

Faynon (Pal) / Necrofanster (Really?) / Nonaf (SK) / Fanfabulous (Bard) / Fandurable (War) / Fanfireworks (Mage)
cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »

I think necros being able to solo content to 3.0+ is rather silly, as well. But does that mean you then make the class almost worthless later in the game? There has to be an alternative. Thoughtful balancing could provide it.

This hasn't gone unnoticed, it's just a simple matter of HUGE time investment to fix (which I don't have at the moment and Hunter doesn't with T7 development).

As for necros being worthless later in the game, you may not have a Sorc50/UC on it. The DoTs have been recently scaled up to be excessively powerful. I actually balanced around them being the higher(est?) DPS when fighting bosses as they take a good bit to get up and maintain their DoTs.

Thank you for the input. :-)

-Hate

Meh, necros can only solo previous content. Other pet classes do more DPS so it seems a fair tradeoff that necro pets can take a hit better. Also, I have to ask why so many are having problems keeping their pets alive. Are they not having their pet attack from behind the mobs or something?

Question for hate - is it intended that the enchanter spell vampiric thunder doesnt affect necro pet procs?
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2012, 02:33:05 pm »

Question for hate - is it intended that the enchanter spell vampiric thunder doesnt affect necro pet procs?

Plus spell effects and plus healing do NOT affect pets. This is an intended setup on the source side. Secrets did recently add an effect to specifically cause a new slot ID to act as SpellPower and HealingPower but ONLY for NPCs. In a few weeks/months when the source is updated, I will look in to this.

-Hate

Udeni

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:04 pm »

It would be cool to be able to give pets gear, even if it's just rot gear you don't care about. Would be even cooler to have a /cm petinv command or something like that to display what the pet has equipped, with links to the gear. I know other emus do this, so it would be cool to see it here too.

Opeij - Paladin, Udenii - Warrior, Dustoff - Cleric, Udeni - Berzerker, Intap - Wizard, Tempten - Shaman, Inedu - Enchanter, Ewoida - Druid, Gusis - Bard, Ranyp - Mage
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 04:11:55 am »

Pets have recently been given gear.

Summon Phantom Necklace of ____

Summon the necklace, trade to your pet or other pet's owner (and they give to their pet). It adds a huge amount of hp. Gogo.

-Hate

Garete

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 07:56:18 am »

Where can the necklace spell be obtained
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:34 am »

Where can the necklace spell be obtained

T2, T4, T6

Each one adds a significant amount of health, but only the highest goes into effect.

-Hate

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988