Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 01:41:09 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Everquest: A Retrospective (Video)  (Read 9066 times)
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhvTlR1WSc

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Peign
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:04 am »

Nice flashback.   Though, we get to flashback (in a sense) on EZ server every day Smiley.

The creator echoed many of the things that I and I would guess many people disliked about EQ and its implementation.     It really did make the mmorpg genre what it is today though.   
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:04 am »

Most of what people claim to have "disliked" is what set the game apart from the rest of the trash out there now, as in Warcrap and its army of photocopies. The strife, the difficulties, the lack of handing every freaking thing to you on a silver platter...."Good day Hunter! What is your name?" "I am Lovestospuge" "That is correct! Congratulations, and welcome to level 90!"

No thanks. Give me old EQ any day. It did a pretty good job of weeding out the mouth breathing imbeciles that so infest today's MMO's, and the difficulties served to pretty much force a community to develop. And community is one of the things sorely lacking in most of today's MMO's.

Not surprising, some miss the point of the narration: as "unsophisticated" as old EQ was, its exactly that trait that made the experience amazing for people who actually like MMOs. Most of what you see today isnt an mmo....its a game with an online chat room.....or, as with WoW, a $15 a month babysitter.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:47:29 am »

And sorry to reply to myself, but I think this is whats wrong with most MMO's today, because of the nature of the type person you get when you appeal to the lowest common denominator as your player base: they see the need to be one or the other, and dont understand that they could be BOTH. You could quite easily make a game with content thats doable solo, or with a friend or two, and have a rich rewarding experience....and at the same time include content that requires more concentration, time and effort and teamwork. The problem is that invariably the rewards for the second type player will be greater than the first, and you have whiny little bitches complaining and crying about how "unfair" that is (rather sounds like America's last presidential race).

I dont have as much time as I'd like to play EZ, RIFT or other games I play...and quite often when I AM on my attention is scattered due to RL. That means I dont get as much done as I'd like....so I dont have as many toys as some people who've played for far less overall time than I have. It means that while I can clear all of T5 relatively fast, I quite often dont because of all the time I spend afk.

Thing is....I am OK with that, because thats how it should be. Its how it was when I DID have a lot of time to raid, farm and "grind" back when I played live a ton, saw content before 99% of the other players and had all the cool toys....and its how it should be now. "I can pay off my mortgage in 7 years and have the things I want for me and my family, or I can raid 4 or 5 nights a week and have uber imaginary shit!" Anymore, I cant do both....and its really not even a serious choice.

I honestly believe that if today's game companies kept this in mind, adhered to this philosophy in their development, and went out of their way to explain this to the player base (a parent's job, to be sure, but one thats often not done) then there would be a lot more success and a lot more long term players. You'd see a lot more games making these type memories for newer players, because players would be INVOLVED....on a personal level, even if it were only for an hour or two a a time.

And....looking back at that video, and some of the old memories I have of EQ....I am hopeful that SOE will live up to their claims and hype and give us such a game with EQ Next. Time will tell Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:49:01 am by mpano66 » Logged

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 240