Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:16:01 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Super Typhoon  (Read 38126 times)
Fliker

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 05:34:03 pm »

That really sux about only having temp power. We're all really glad you all are ok over there.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

The power was on for only 4 hours yesterday, and just came back on now. I expect it'll turn off within 4 hours again, and might do this every day for next 2 months, since our main power plant was 90% destroyed and their estimate is 2 months to get back to normal around here.

I was in the city today shopping for generators, and they are all sold out throughout the entire city! The storm was on Friday, and by Saturday they sold out of generators. Next shipment is for Thursday at one place, and we put a down payment to reserve one coming Thursday.

While cruising around the city, all the traffic lights are off and have police directing traffic. Most of the stores have generators on the city sidewalk so they can continue business. There is still rumble to be cleared up from the earthquake, and trees to clear out of the typhoon. There is a detour when we go to the city cause some 500 year old church collapsed onto the main road.

It sure is a humbling experience to be in a 3rd world country, 90 degrees tropics, get 7.2 quake, then Super Typhoon, and now power/water is limited. Now that the power is on, and the water is running, we filled up buckets of water just so we can flush the toilet after the water/power goes out again. Rechargeable fans make a world of difference when there is no air con. Probably won't have the refridgerator on for next 2 months, so food will be limited choices, probably rice as usual. We're lucky the Super Typhoon veered 50-75 miles north of us (as you can see in posted map/pic earlier in this topic), cause if we had been in the center of the path, we'd probably have no more house right now. I saw videos of the place that got hit, and looks like a nuclear bomb went off, everything is leveled. So yeah, we're counting our blessings, could have been worse.

Some of the family missed their chance to recharge their mobile phones when the power was on yesterday for 4 hours. Maybe they don't make that mistake anymore, and will recharge their phones asap.

Seems like there is another possible Typhoon coming our way, will have to keep eye on the news.

"... may be the strongest tropical cyclone in recorded history ..."
"The typhoon was 3.5 times more forceful than Hurricane Katrina, which hit the United States 2005."
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/10/world/asia/philippines-typhoon-haiyan/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:15:35 am by Hunter » Logged

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:26 am »

Yup, seems like we have another one coming in about 2 days from now, category/signal 1, and so far we're dead center of its path.

http://weather.com.ph/announcements/tropical-depression-zoraida-update-number-001

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/355368-cyclone-zoraida-update-may-follow-the-same-path-of-yolanda/

WTF, Microwave beam starting these Typhoons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCOZD1YQ6Q8
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:56:25 am by Hunter » Logged

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 01:52:12 am »

Power just came back on today, probably just for another 4 hours again.

The category 1 incoming veered just south of us, so we got lucky again.

Had a 4.5 aftershock today.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/earthquake-hits-bohol--tsunami-rumor-sends-people-in-panic-073158006.html

Can't seem to log into EQ, maybe slow internet.

Will try to read up about generators via Google search, how much gas per hour do they use, etc.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:19:20 am by Hunter » Logged

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 04:53:59 am »

The EQEMU login server seems to be down currently if you are trying to log in Sad

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:43 am »

Thanks, was trying to access their website and that was down too, so sorta figured.

Power has been on for almost 5 hours now, hoping that it stays on, but I doubt it will. They are rationing 15 megawatts from diesel power plant to different towns across the island. Seems we're still permanently cut off from main power plant for now.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 08:48:55 am »

After researching Solar Power and Solar Generators, I realize how much I underestimated that its over priced and gives back very little power.

A $2,100 solar generator might say 1000 watt and use a battery that recharges, but the panel might be only 90 watt, and if peek sunlight is 5 hours a day, thats only 450 watt hours per day? If that gets stored to the battery, and the unit is used 24 hours a day, that would only give average 18 watts every hour of the day? That'd barely be enough to run a fan or light bulb here if that.

Saw a 6000 watt worth of solar panels system that would run just about everything, like air condition, fridge, etc but cost $28,000 which is way too much.

I realize gas generators require maintenance (oil, spark plugs, battery, etc) not to mention they are gas hogs aka cost a lot per hour to run. Would probably get one for emergency such as few hrs a day if power was out more than 1 day.

Anyone here a prepper, listen/read alternative media, and have tips how to survive? I'm guessing majority of people have 3-7 days supply of food, and no plans in case of society collapse, riots, civil war, etc that we see already happening in other countries. Guess the mentality is can't happen here, and government will take care of us. And being addicted to games is like being addicted to alcohol, your trying avoid thinking or worrying about IRL and reality. Not trying to sound like a dooms day prepper conspiracy theorist, after all I wasn't even prepared for this 7.2 earthquake and category 5 Super Typhoon. Got caught with my pants down, with all generators sold out, no water, no power, etc. Probably only enough dry food for 1 week and rice for 1 month here currently. Anyways, any opinions or advise very welcome here thx Smiley

Hunter - EZ Server GM
zefirus

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:39 am »

You need to start watching the show doomsday preppers

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-preppers/

Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 09:08:23 am »

Not a doomsday prepper myself.

My dad has a few generators and lives about a 10 minute drive away.  Worse case during storms we can head there if we lose power, or in case of snow he picks us up in his ford 350.

We probably have 2 weeks of food in cans/freezer push came to shove.

We researched solar for our house, but need a new roof first so not worth it now.

With gov't incentives could get a significant setup for 7k out of pocket.  State offers 10k in incentives and federal is offering 15k i think.  Total cost is 32k but 25 would get reimbursed.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:13 am »

Total cost is 32k but 25 would get reimbursed.

Almost sounds reasonable.

Yeah, new roof first sounds like good idea.

What area are you in? Sunny? For example, I'm near the equator, and we get 12 hours daylight year round.

Will have to check out that doomsday prepper show too.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 09:24:22 am »

Northeast, suburb of NYC

We'd also have to take down a few trees to maximize sunlight.

The new garage plans are also going to be ideally located, so might load that up when we build it.

Downside the state incentive is going away soon. Sad
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:39 am »

NYC not the place to be when SHTF

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 10:18:44 am »

I agree, but is where I settled.
Severs

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 10:28:28 am »

In dire situation for water you can purify creek / rain water with sand and charcoal. Simply crush the charcoal and pour it and clean sand into layers in a barrel or other container. For example you can get a 55 gallon drum, do a layer of sand approximately 8 to 12 inches then a layer of charcoal then sand ect. The water coming from the bottom will be purified, still boil it for added security. Store the water in clean containers in a dark dry area.
Severs

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:08 am »

Also, if you are going to be storing the water for extended periods of time you will need to add a small amount of bleach. If the water tastes stale "refresh" it by pouring it back and forth to allow oxygen back into  it. Also, http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm has some good info on water as well.  For food you can look for any wild fruits that might have survived the storm ( not sure what is native in your area), try fishing and catching small game such as frogs or scavenge through wreckage for canned goods.  I live in Mississippi and have seen the devastation a huge storm can cause first hand. I am sorry for all you and your family are having to go through.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:51:32 am by Severs » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061