Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:13:15 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Super Typhoon  (Read 38120 times)
Peign
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 03:58:35 pm »

Bagged water is a good way to go as well.   Can buy a 10 day supply or so from a readiness store.   Unfortunately bottled water will go bad.     Iodine is also useful and good to have in your bug out bag for cleaning water as needed.    Basic supplies like a first aid kit, good knife,  compass (gps maybe), batteries, waterproof matches, flash lights are also good.     

Anyway to get donations to you now Hunter?  My guess is WU is down as well? 

Based on the news it looks like the infrastructure is so badly damaged that they are having problems getting aid to who needs it.   
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 06:38:59 pm »

WU works when the power is on.

Power has been on now for about 12 hours. Going to see if I can find out why, if its fixed in our area or what.

Thanks for list of advice. Looks like I got some shopping to do for next disaster.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 07:13:30 pm »

The hard part about prepping in a poor area, is that nobody else is prepping. So when things get bad and there is for example no water, all the neighbors will visit to get water from you, and in the end you have no water for yourself. If you say no to the neighbors that have no water, then you become the bad guy. And in extreme cases, you get looted.

Many rich foreigners here have a big house surrounded by a big concrete wall with broken glass sticking out the top of the wall and barbed wire above that, and several dogs to patrol the property.

Unfortunately I'm not that lucky to have that kind of setup. So far my home defense items are a Bolo, Baseball Bat, and about 25 family members that live in our neighborhood.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 07:30:59 pm »

That's a good point. But instead of letting them know you have water in the first place, get what you need, stock up and prepare, and when another disaster happens, be the first person out there asking Them for water. That will make them believe you have nothing.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 09:18:01 pm »

That's a good point. But instead of letting them know you have water in the first place, get what you need, stock up and prepare, and when another disaster happens, be the first person out there asking Them for water. That will make them believe you have nothing.

Or make a show of pissing in your water and pulling a swap to make it look like you guys piss in your water, then drink it. That'll freak the hell out of them.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 11:00:30 am »

Lol. if I were a poor person in a natural disaster, Id drink piss water. It's better than straight up piss right out of the lemonade stick.

In all seriousness, look at buying a UV water decontaminator. I think there is a hand crank version that purifies water by photochemical degredation of bacteria and germs through a photocatalyst. You can make drinkable water out of any fresh water source. That way you don't need to stock up as much. You can make it as you need it.
lookin

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »

well this could be handy if just to sanitize water and charge a phone in an emergency.

http://shop.biolitestove.com/campstove.html#.UoVktfmTiIM
zefirus

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

Man, reading this I feel like a big dink complaining that the marriott herein Aruba did not have my preferred bottled water on hand. Honestly, hope all is well and in game too
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 07:20:46 pm »

Man, reading this I feel like a big dink complaining that the marriott herein Aruba did not have my preferred bottled water on hand. Honestly, hope all is well and in game too

Preferred bottle of water.. 1st world problems for sure lol

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:37 pm »

Power just came back again, after being out for 26 hours.

Thanks for all the tips. Not much room to hide supplies here, and huge family that visits, there are no secrets around here.

I like the idea of making as much drinking water you need on demand rather than having to store it.

Ordered a 400 gallon water container that will be put up high so we can have water for shower, toilet, dishes, and laundry even when the power is out, by using gravity, sorta like a water tower.

Generator going to be expensive, probably eating 1-2 gallons per hour depending how much load is used, and its about $4/gallon over here. Probably just use it mid day for air con.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:38 am »

What kind of laws locally about producing your own alcohol for fuel use?

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Medic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:31 am »

if you have a local stream you can create electricity (not a ton but enough to power lights)

http://www.powerspout.com/

I am sure there are cheaper options but this might work.

Krunkley, Gimble and Co.
Khaoticz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:50 am »

Hey man, in the military we use water purification tablets that are cheap as hell to get. Takes a couple hours to make them work but its another viable source. Works as long as it's fresh water.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 05:36:17 am »

Power has been on now for maybe 4-5 days strait.

I think its because we're between a water plant and a hospital where are getting priority on the power rationing.

So I guess we're lucky on location.

I have a new generator now that I haven't had to use yet, which is good cause it could cost average $2/hour to run.

Some have asked about WU and yes it works here, when they have power. Most of the city is getting priority power now and/or have generators, so its not so much an issue, can still pick up.

Now that the power is back, the family here is getting back to gaming, and are having a great time. Thank you to those that send consoles/games. Anything from old and used to new and current gen, all appreciated.

I probably won't get new PS4 or Xbox One for the first year, will read reviews, let prices drop, etc. If the stores about Xbox One are true, that you have to run the Kinect, then I probably won't get one, not even if its free. A required camera in my living room is sort of a deal breaker on gaming.

Saw in the news about tornadoes going on in US Midwest. Weather just crazy everywhere.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Takishi

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:42 am »

Great to hear you and your family are OK and getting back to normal. 

Severe weather hit all around us in southwest Ohio but we were lucky to keep power and dodge tornadoes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 291