Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 01:36:54 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EQN Landmark Alpha launches!  (Read 5535 times)
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:02:12 pm »

Well, as many know I'm signed up for the EQN Landmark Alpha! Friday night, after the end of the Aniiversary event at SOE HQ in San Diego, Alpha launched! And last night, in a very weird move, SOE lifted the NDA....so here's some info for those who give a Shiite.

Immediately the servers were flooded with downloads, even though it was after midnight for half of the US. Regardless, wife and I both downloaded the game and had it up and running in less than 30 minutes. A LOT of people had issues (my wife included) but most I spoke to had an answer from SOE to resolve within an hour or two (wife had two tickets open at the same time, both answered within 90 minutes). All throughout devs and execs from Sony kept a running dialogue about the issues, what was happening and how they were being fixed. The open manner in which they handled things was really a far cry from the way Sony dealt with issues over the last 15 years.

Playing the game...SOE has stated that at first Landmark would be very limited in what you could do, and the game showed that. All we can do ATM is harvest, explore and build (no mobs or combat YET...coming soon). But even that was amazing, and immersive. When you're mining you really get the impression that you're changing the world you are in (watching another player fall into a hole you dug drives this home...and I imagine the plans to be able to mine your way into a hidden dungeon will do more). Movement is fluid, even with slight lag at times (FAR more people in the Alpha than they anticipated, so they had to beef up servers...which they did within hours). Finding rare resources for building recipes is fun and engaging. Building is amazing....the level of control you have when creating is high and detailed, and the controls are easy to use....although right now SOE admits a lot of the controls are raw and not what they want for the finished product (improvements being worked on even after the first round of player feedback). If they are this detailed and attentive to just the non combat aspect of this game I honestly cannot wait to see what they have planned for encounters and quests!

Last night they had a planned update for the evening to address a lot of issues they discovered....but they got more than they bargained for. Not to go into too much detail, but the game builds islands on the fly for increased player capacity. When it did so a memory leak caused them to not properly connect to the world, so some of them were left in the "void" and therefore deleted. People lost claims (you claim land) and created structures on that claim. SOE could have just said, "Hey, its an alpha, sorry, it gone" but they spent hours trying to unravel dozens of lost islands and thousands of built structures so testers wouldnt lose what they'd built. Finally this morning they found a way to let players keep their claims and the crafted objects they'd placed (a lot of work) but they had to reset the land and claims to default to do so (people lost built structures). They also said it taught them a way to in the future make sure objects built are retained so it wont happen again.

Does it sound as if I am impressed? Well, I am. The game itself is good, and I see HUGE potential in what it can be.....but the thing that really shocked and impressed me is how SOE is treating it and treating players. The open manner in which they keep players apprised of updates and whats going on....the attention to detail....the level of care they seem to have for the gamers experience....well, if you played Live EQ before or other Sony games you know this is a very different Sony. And I like it!

As I said, NDA is lifted. Will be making some videos and posting to a web page...will link here when I get it set up, if people wanna see whats what.

Chunka

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:55:12 pm »

Rift used to be open minded and responded to the player base until 4-5 months after release. Then it was a big FU, we don't care attitude. Sony has that same history, so don't fall into that false sense of security.

Keeze
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »

Yep, I remember from Rift, so taking a "time will tell" stance. But that they did it AT ALL is encouraging.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »

I look forward to the updates and videos you post. I'm actually basing my decision to play this game on your feedback, so don't fail me Obi Won.  Tongue

Keeze
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:24:59 pm »

Can tell you its a hot mess right now. Servers are being pushed to the limit with the number of people they had sign up in the last 48 hours (cant plan ahead for that, really). Lots of idiots bitching.....one was stupid enough to actually state, in an ALPHA TEST, "the real lesson Sony should take from all this is to not release a product that hasnt been stress tested at all". 0.o

You cant cure stupid!

Will make some vids and pop em up this week! Meanwhile feel free to message me if ya have questions!

Adydar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

Very interested in seeing some video's, keep us posted

arya1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »

there are few people streaming on twitch btw
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent