Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:27:50 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pet Resists  (Read 7282 times)
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:47:13 am »

Hi Hate/Love/Akka

I wanted to see if it would be possible to make pet resists equal to the pet owner?  As it stands, my pets get wiped out pretty fast even doing lower content, because their max resists are 1000 lower than my alts (mage pet gets the highest at 1795, while mage is at nearly 2800...)

It would be a nice bonus to have the work done to raise pet caster resists reflect in the longevity of the pets as well.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:18:10 am »

Yeah, pet resists are definitely going to need to be addressed again with the inability to outright resist spells.  More than anything though, pets need to have immunity to ripostes.  I'll summon my pet caster pets when I start a clear and I'm very diligent about positioning and placement, but invariably I'll have mobs that aren't totally in the right position on a multipull or adds jump in and the pet eats a few ripostes or enrage and they die.  I know summoning them doesn't take long, but I don't enjoy the tedium of doing so repeatedly and at random times so I just don't bother.  Even if you summon them, you still have to rebuff them and if it hasn't been long enough for MGB to reset on the shaman, you just ignore doing so until you can just do an MGB refresh.  Yes, this is a shameless plug on the unreasonably long recast time of 15 mins on the shaman epic click, but it's part of the reason I don't re-cast pets when they die...if they aren't fully buffed they don't offer me enough benefit to re-summon them.  Add in them needed constant upkeep from the damage they will now be taking and they'll still be relegated to spot duty for me, likely even more so.

Yes, the proc from the mana neck makes a couple pet oriented classes more apt to deal with the tedium of maintaining them, but in a 2 group setting I don't really notice 2 pets procing pirate strike being much better than just having strike classes replace them.  Additionally, as far as beastlord pets go, since they don't benefit from the pirate strike proc, there's even less reason to bother using them.

tl;dr Pets need to not take damage from ripostes, pets need their resists to be able to at least keep pace with the person who cast them
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:22:19 am by Dimur » Logged
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »

I haven't even used my mage / chanter pets in a very long time. Aside from dying to ripostes like Dimur said, they cause mobs to aggro them in ToV while mass pulling trash with the massive hitboxes. This leads to a mob being out of position of my warrior so that it starts aggroing the closest PCs it can find rather than attacking the pet, killing all of my melee. This scenario played out every time I tried to use a pet in ToV, so I stopped using them. That problem mostly is a result from the massive drake hitboxes and wonky pathing in ToV.

Basically, I haven't bothered doing the mana necks because pets seem to be more trouble than they're worth, especially if you have good damage without them. Even if a lot of this stuff got adjusted, I think its really a lot to do with personal preference. If I get around to it, I'll make them both mana necks if t9 makes me want more single target damage.
Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »

I feel your pain with pets.. I haven't gotten a crew in T8 yet so I am only imagining what it is going to be like. I experience the pets attacking stuff in T7 whenever I do a mini mass pull (7 mobs) when the mobs do an AoE close to the group which leads to pets attacking mobs and therefore screwing up positioning.

They seem to hold up pretty good during fights though with pally/cleric proc heals. Just annoying so the only fix I came up with is:

/pet hold and /bad doggy! before every pull. Hope this gets ironed out before I start breaking into T8 (You got about 2 years to get this fixed Hate!)

I personally think that the resists should / could scale with the caster...but then again...I got to work on my resists. Good topic discussion and something that will need to be addressed for sure!

Mix
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »

Even with using pet hold, once you send them in to attack, they basically enter FFA mode on large pulls unless you constantly micro them (not gonna happen, rather just have them be a buff bot)
Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »

Yeah.. I know what you talking about.. but to fix that.. I just created 1 more hotkey:

/bca //pet hold right before the mob I am targeting dies and then they will attack the mob I am switching the group to because /pet attack command is already mixed in with my assist button for the DPS.  I had to do this earlier on for T6 clearing... Boss spawns adds at certain percents so I would have to switch the group to killing adds before they overwhelmed me; but the damn pets would still be on the boss, and their DPS seemed to always outdo my dps on adds so guess what.. I would get more adds spawned thanks to the pets DPSing down the boss to the next 'spawn adds' HP%.

1 hotkey might make it easier for you and add a little more DPS to your already massive amount. Give it a try and see whats up!

Mix

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:00:48 pm »

With pets, I'm likely just going to go ahead and work out the numbers to slow them down to player attack speeds. This will fix the riposte problem (mostly) and then allow for the summoner bags that I want to add (and the ability for players to give their pets duplicated UWs).

T9 is first priority though.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:41:52 pm »

Slowing down pets if you do will completely gut their DPS. Only way to keep pet DPS where its at if you slow down their melee is to increase proc damage from mana neck by a factor of 11 or 12 (literally).

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 310