Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:10:19 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Server Move  (Read 20101 times)
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »

I will be bringing the server down at approx 3PM CST to move services over to the new hardware.

I will update when done.

She's up and a purrin!

• Running at 16 processor cores instead of 8 which should help the simultaneous zone thread load.
  • 35GB of memory, committed quite a bit more than normal to database caching
  • The database and server are running on 4 x 120GB Samsung 840 Pros in Raid5.
  • Will finish up other things such as tieing in Character mover and such back in.

Seems a quite a bit snappier, at the software level we had things quite optimized in the last big code update so hard to notice much difference in somethings that were already tuned hardcore.

Did a test in Sanctus Seru, killed 800 NPC's simultaneously and the entire zone process finished all deaths within 1 second. The truth comes in the large population load, which I imagine we'll see with Double Loot being up until Saturday night.

Thanks again Crabthewall for your many hours taking care of the server, re-fitting it for server rack form factor. RMAing the hardware and upgrading all the firmware and sweating over the server bench for us for several dozen hours. Very much appreciated.

Thanks to Rogean for providing the rackspace that we currently use and our DC connection which provides us 2Gbps up/down internet backbone.

Thanks for patience all. Enjoy!

Thanks,
-Akka
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:10:22 pm by Akkadius » Logged

EZ Server GM
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »

Right now we're fitting the hardware with new bulgarian hamsters (4 of them, one for each processor core). Once we get them in the harnesses and get the food/water trickling, it should be working again.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:25:45 pm »

I am not sure what was wrong with the old hardware.. I thought the server was smoking....(not due to being overworked... but smoking fast). Guess I missed that thread...

Mix
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:35:42 pm »

I am not sure what was wrong with the old hardware.. I thought the server was smoking....(not due to being overworked... but smoking fast). Guess I missed that thread...

Mix

We're moving back to the original hardware that EZ was on which has been thoroughly upgraded.

What has made the server 'smoking fast' was all of the software based optimizations, some of it was hardware.

One thing of note is that we'll be moving on an array of solid state drives.

Hardware is courtesy of Crabthewall and the EZ community.

http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=4248.msg54179#msg54179

EZ Server GM
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »

Right now we're fitting the hardware with new bulgarian hamsters (4 of them, one for each processor core). Once we get them in the harnesses and get the food/water trickling, it should be working again.

-Hate

Dont you mean adding the meth drip again Hate come on be honest we know you have all them hamsters on something and i dont think adderol will do it Tongue
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:48 pm »

Dont you mean adding the meth drip again Hate come on be honest we know you have all them hamsters on something and i dont think adderol will do it Tongue

LoL are you serious? Hamsters aren't as smart (or whiny) as we are. Throw some vegetable pellets in front of them and they'll run forever. Keep 4 running, 1 ready to replace the first dead.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:52:27 pm »

..no comment

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:04 pm »

..no comment

Hate think fugi wants you to stop calling him a hamster
hardcoretank

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »

I thought hate was the hamster i mean we are making him run and all we dangle in front of him is more problems! lol

Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 05:02:58 pm »

VM state transfers is taking longer than I wanted. I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for progress bars. Sorry for the wait.

EZ Server GM
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 05:06:27 pm »

Its all good Akka we know how much work you guys are putting into the server lets just hope this drums up some of them ppl who need to be on the site to accuatly log and and see it!
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 05:07:03 pm »

Its a shame, the state of affairs the world is in, when we're forced to settle for Bulgarian hamsters. Ukrainian hamsters are sooooo much faster, and more durable!

And they work for peanuts!

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

Its a shame, the state of affairs the world is in, when we're forced to settle for Bulgarian hamsters. Ukrainian hamsters are sooooo much faster, and more durable!

And they work for peanuts!

After what Danish did to the last Ukrainian hamsters they refuse to work for us anymore....said it was inhamster treatment
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »

EZ ZOMBIES UNITE!

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:54:17 pm »

now is DL being enforced, or just being flipped from 1 to 2?

are we talking akka with is nut kicking boot and bat or just akka whistling as he walks by flipping the switch?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 78