Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 01:37:23 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: More new players AND keeping the new ones we get.  (Read 13645 times)
Danish

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 04:37:38 pm »

When I played the actual game 14 years ago, a big part of the awesomeness, was progressing and improving. I absolutely loved the grind. I was never the figuring out type of person though - but once I knew how the dots were connected, I plowed through.

I quit, got married, got children, and figured my gaming life would be limited to GTA and other such fastfood games, and I surely wouldn't be playing anything as captivating and time consuming again. Aaaaaand then I stumbled upon EZ Server.

The content reminded me so much of the live experience, people were awesome and helpful - every time I hit a wall, I could get pointers, and sometimes even a bit of help. Most importantly though, I could do it on my own schedule with my own team. I didn't have to have to log in for 5-8 hours every night, to raid and earn points - but still able to progress and improve :-)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I found that this place, can deliver a bit of the experience I had when I played full time as a youngster - And the horrible frustrating shitty mindnumbing grind is a big part of what I like about this place.

I agree that this place will scare off the people looking for an easy ride through content - but the people that it does actually captivate, are the ones you'd want playing around you, for the most part anyway.

I apologize for any horribly constructed sentences or errs of grammar.

TL;DR - The content takes a horrible long time to get through... and its awesome!
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:21 pm »

^^^ That post too ^^^

Here's the problem: Hate and Akk are two guys. Thats it. Any new content is either created by them or funneled through them....which severely limits the amount of new content we get.

Call it grind if you like, but the truth of the matter is that if you trivialize content....remove the "grind" then its conquered in no time, players hit max gear/tier and get bored in no time at all. Is it a balancing act between boredom because it takes so long to get through content, vs boredom because of nothing to do? Hell, yes!!

But I'd rather be bored because it takes me so long to overcome content than be bored because I correctly recited my name and got a goodie, which is pretty much the way content is in most MMO's since Whores of Warcrap. At least this type boredom I get the "Hoorah!" of finishing the job when I do.

As someone pointed out to me regarding passing out high end buffs several times a day: you do a player no favors when you make things TOO easy. This is one of the reasons I havent been buffing much lately (well aside from that whole surgery and pain meds thing), and why you wont see me buffing as often.

Lets not see content so trivialized that EZ server becomes yet another pathetic excuse for a 10 second loot collect.

This is the BESTEST explanation EVER!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:22:28 pm by Orthanos » Logged

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 08:19:37 pm »

I think one thing that would help new people starting off is to be spammed with the fact that all xp acquired on this server, whether solo, grouped, or in a raid, is all equal to the solo xp value. Even before people learn to box, you can still level a full 6 characters in the exact same amount of time as leveling one or two, just by having them grouped and in the same zone, while only playing the 1 screen. So many new people I've run in to said they started with the 3 box, then went to level 1 more character at a time instead of just starting with 6 or doing 3 and 3. And it's just due to them having no clue about how xp works here. That's about the only reason I ever log on members of my 3rd group is to soak xp (when they aren't buffing and /cheer'ing)

Maybe it could be part of the Welcome message to Field of Bone.  Tongue
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 10:02:05 pm »

Goes back to one of my earlier posts in this thread: things need to be explained better, because how this server is....what makes it FUN....is counter-intuitive for old EQ players, and to an extent people who've played on other EMU.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
HolyDivinity

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:55 pm »

I think a lot of people are actually missing the point of what I started here. Some of the content is actually not do able for new players when they first get to terrorantula. You won't kill it in time gear. You won't go passed LDON 5 in LDON gear without more then 1 healer on rotation. I'm not saying its not a challenge, im all for barely do able with a massive challenge and grind. There are certain mobs and area's that need a minor tweak that are more suited to the gear you are designed to fight it with, assuming you didn't bring 4 healers in your 6 man squad.

I am also NOT saying, the server needs work or these are things they need to do. I am simply suggesting things that may help the server grow with a higher population if Hate and Akk decide to investigate. I know they do this on their free time and we are all beyond grateful, they obviously don't have to address this situation if they don't desire it or feel its necessary.

Also, im not saying to make the server easier or less grindy for people who jumped to that out of nowhere conclusion. But if you want to reel more people in, making the early content of the server challenging, but still flow as you would assume would probably benefit the server.

That is all, I am not the best with words but I tried my best. I am truly grateful for all the work Hunter, Hate, and Akk have put in this server and anyone else who lingers in the back ground.

GL guys

Peign
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »

I think a lot of people are actually missing the point of what I started here. Some of the content is actually not do able for new players when they first get to terrorantula. You won't kill it in time gear. You won't go passed LDON 5 in LDON gear without more then 1 healer on rotation. I'm not saying its not a challenge, im all for barely do able with a massive challenge and grind. There are certain mobs and area's that need a minor tweak that are more suited to the gear you are designed to fight it with, assuming you didn't bring 4 healers in your 6 man squad.

These areas could probably be made easier sure, I agree with that.

However, your assertion here is incorrect.   If you are struggling on Terrorantula you can add more/different classes to your team. (having to kill spiders to pop Terrorantula is teh suq though)  Yes it is difficult to solo no doubt.   Though from the inception of EZ the concept, if you need it you cant solo it applies.   Often times you do need to get help.    If you absolutely must do it on your own (with your X number of box toons) there are also other options.    How about farming up some SLS and using the plat to buy Strike 2 augs?   As long as the SLS requirement exists for everything then there will always be a demand.   This seems to be a win win, new players get plat and can gear out their teams and veteran players do not have to farm SLS.   You can farm ldon level 3 and 4 to get oracles for your healers and guardians for your tank .   Again, you can also add to your team or team up with others that are doing it for the first time.  

In addition, T5 is completely doable by a team just getting to T5.   You will however have to aug out your dps, get UC1 on your tank, healers and dps.      When I did T5 the first time it took me 60 hours of grinding.  This is with a 12 box.   I had a couple of false starts though, I started, realized I was gimptastic and hit HoH (this was pre tofs) for my UC1s.     I also teamed up with people to make that grind easier.  

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:17:28 pm by Peign » Logged
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »

I think a lot of people are actually missing the point of what I started here. Some of the content is actually not do able for new players when they first get to terrorantula. You won't kill it in time gear. You won't go passed LDON 5 in LDON gear without more then 1 healer on rotation.

I am calling bullshit on this.  I started wih a Paladin (Orthanos) Cleric (Lunarmace) Bard (Damaskus) Monk (Chunck) Beastlord (Baten) and some other dps class (I don't remember) but Terrorantula, LDoN, PoTime...ALL was doable with  those 6 toons ....content is easier now than it was back then.

HolyDivinity

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »

I retract what I said, if you get a pet caster in CG Smiley
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:52 pm »

I haven't done it recently, but I did all of Time except for Dragon Slave with 3 toons, monk, pally, druid.  I also did Terrorantula with the same 3 toons.  As long as I kept the damage shield dispelled it wasn't that bad.

I did LDoN with the same crew although I had a little help on level 5 when I got overwhelmed with trash and wiped.

Of course, that was a long time ago, so maybe it is different now.  Yeah it took a long time, but back then it was taking people half an hour to kill Shadow too so it just seemed par for the course.
Tananthalas

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:21 pm »

Cleric Warrior Zerker were not able to make a dent in Terrorantula with Time gear.  The adds chewed through my team as well.  He is hard.  So is MoW.  I'm not saying change it I am not saying leave it as is.  But I just did level 1 - T2 content on fresh faces.

Tanann, Xinora, Toade, Navarre, Ariakis, Verminaard
Lauralanthalasa, Dezra, Astinus, Alhana, Goldmoon
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 01:01:19 am »

You won't kill it in time gear.

Yep, you will. Smarter, not harder. Figure out the skills your characters have already, and the spells you get at 70, and you can with any 6 man group EASILY. Solo? No, but thats irrelevant. This isnt a solo server.

I retract what I said, if you get a pet caster in CG

Nope. Can do it with a group of 6 easily, if you play smart. With 3 if you're patient and smart.

Cleric Warrior Zerker were not able to make a dent in Terrorantula with Time gear.

Then you're doing something wrong. Its not an easy fight with just those three, but definitely doable. Did it with 3 test boxes tonight (war, druid, zerk) and no problem. Using stonewall on warrior? Focus of Heal on cleric? Clicking zerk epic as often as possible (using MQ2)? Are you just staying on the boss or killing off the adds as they happen?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:03:24 am by mpano66 » Logged

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Warrioror

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 12:53:45 pm »

There is a difference between hard and a time sink.  Just because I can clear the whole zone of qvic in 1 pull but get .5 essences doesnt make it hard.  It makes it extremely unrewarding.  yay, I killed the whole game once! so what? now you gotta do it 100 more times for that character and another 101 times for all your other characters...  if you can kill the content you are in without help, and quickly, it does not make it hard.  it makes it extremely boring clearing the entire zone 10000's of times for 1 drop that is like 1% chance of dropping.  First breaking into content yeah, thats hard; however, as I said before, farming that 1 item that has an extremely low drop rate is not.
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 02:55:06 pm »

Drop rates are not that bad. This isn't ez mode. Roll the sleeves up and dig in.

Keeze
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:06 pm »

EZ seems to me to be about repeating content instead of "breaking" into new zones...going from t4 to t5 is not bad...t5 to t6...easy.....t7 to t8? very easy...grinding out the thousands of runs you need to get the essence/UC that is the hard part...the mobs wont kill you the grind will

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 08:43:11 pm »

EZ seems to me to be about repeating content instead of "breaking" into new zones...going from t4 to t5 is not bad...t5 to t6...easy.....t7 to t8? very easy

That to me, is the bad part.  T5 use to be damned hard and then t6 was a rough too....t7 wasn't so bad but then t8 was a monster (referring to when zones came out initially not what they are now)......everything got tamed down so far that it is now so easy because everyone gets on forums and cries about their tough row to hoe (example is this thread)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 8678