Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 12:48:37 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: More new players AND keeping the new ones we get.  (Read 13643 times)
HolyDivinity

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »

Recently, I have been helping the newer players hit 70 and inviting them to my guild. Iv been talking to them about the early content and from what I can tell, plane of time is a huge problem. Pretty much all of them have said they would have quit without my help because the bigger bosses in time, have so many hp's its like a 40 minute fight for them to clear 1 boss. I feel time needs a bit of a scaling down in the area of hp's to help them progress. As it is time is literally a huge block for the newer players.

Also, the only other thing I can tell is that LDON, and the fact that you need to clear all the way to 6 before you can revisit the levels you want is also a problem. Not everyone especially the people breaking into LDON are going to have the time or motivation to sit there and pound out all those levels in one go.

Other then that I don't see too many bad early obstacles in the early areas of this server, its a ton of fun for them.
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:07:56 pm »

+1

Keeze
Phah

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:36 pm »

I just went through this about 2 months ago.

Time is a pain. I initially was going through with only 3 players, and that just wasn't cutting it at all. I literally took 45 minutes to kill a boss, and thats when I decided to make a full 6. With the full 6, and (important!) 6 mercenary wizards (you can hire them for free! and the wizards are the best dps of the mercs), it wasn't bad. Slow, and grindy as heck, but not bad.

LDoN was fun. Sure, I died on floor 4 like 10 times and eventually had to ask for a run-through, but it was fun.

Honestly, a much bigger problem for me was Terrorantula and the Master of Weaponry. I simply could not do those, at all, without outside help (either another playing killing, or some mega-buffs).

Mine is the drill that will pierce the heavens! Or at least the next tier.

Filthy casual? Yep, that's me!
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »

Just my 2 cents
Time was one of my most fun experiences on EZ. I had maybe 4 characters at the time and the boss fights took an epic 30 minutes. Dragon slave was near impossible without outside help to get my first character epic'd. I had to gear up in dulak and time trash to fight time effectively... Which was also fun.

However I would possibly agree with your point as it relates to the spider and possibly dragon slave. They seem to require assistance.

- Darpey

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »

+1
zefirus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:13:11 am »

Also, the only other thing I can tell is that LDON, and the fact that you need to clear all the way to 6 before you can revisit the levels you want is also a problem. Not everyone especially the people breaking into LDON are going to have the time or motivation to sit there and pound out all those levels in one go.

I would agree with this... not that I disagree with anything else, but this in particular can be a pain for newer players.
Danish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 09:29:06 am »

You're gonna hit these walls all the way through progression.

If time was/is an issue, theres not much hope for you to progressing beyond T5. Honestly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:30:45 am by Danish » Logged
barrettd04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:30:24 am »

You're gonna hit these walls all the way through progression.

If time was/is an issue, theres not much hope for you to progressing beyond T5. Honestly.

+1

Also, what's wrong with asking for help?  I only made it to about T4 before I stopped playing regularly and I asked for help a lot.  Met some good players and that's how I found a decent guild. 

garybusey - warrior
umadd - pally
wayfaerer - pewpew
rondonald - cleric
obzen - monk
dongus - zerker
dorfkus - pally
ultrabeard - zerker
dopesmoke - drood
djenty - chanter
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:38 am »

I don't understand the problem.  I remember those levels and it taking a long while...I remember it taking 45 minutes or so to kill PoAir boss mobs...its all part of the grind of the server.  If people find PoTime grueling, then they are going to hate T5....and if they hate t5, they are going to loath t8 and having to farm 100 armor pieces and 100 green scales and 100 red scales and 100 silver scales....I don't see why any of these items are things that need addressing.  If they thought that EZ Server meant things were EZ, well they were just wrong.

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:56 am »

Recently, I have been helping the newer players hit 70 and inviting them to my guild. Iv been talking to them about the early content and from what I can tell, plane of time is a huge problem. Pretty much all of them have said they would have quit without my help because the bigger bosses in time, have so many hp's its like a 40 minute fight for them to clear 1 boss. I feel time needs a bit of a scaling down in the area of hp's to help them progress. As it is time is literally a huge block for the newer players.

Other then that I don't see too many bad early obstacles in the early areas of this server, its a ton of fun for them.

The fresh 70 game needs a bit of a tweak. The 60 PVP broke it for people. I'll see what can be done. As for LDON, that's just part of the game. If you need to bounce after clearing one floor, camp at the entrance/exit of that floor. You can log back in and continue. If you are wanting a way to bounce in and out without reaching the 6th floor, then you are out of luck.

With the minor proc buffs for new 70s, they shouldn't be quite so "stuck". The duration on Hunter's Arm could be extended to an hour, if need be.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Phah

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:30:00 pm »

I don't understand the problem.  I remember those levels and it taking a long while...I remember it taking 45 minutes or so to kill PoAir boss mobs...its all part of the grind of the server.  If people find PoTime grueling, then they are going to hate T5....and if they hate t5, they are going to loath t8 and having to farm 100 armor pieces and 100 green scales and 100 red scales and 100 silver scales....I don't see why any of these items are things that need addressing.  If they thought that EZ Server meant things were EZ, well they were just wrong.

Ya see, I totally understand this attitude. I even more or less agree with it - if the first 50 hours aren't fun, then the next 5000 sure won't be!

But, and this is a pretty major "but", a lot of people are very dismissive of new players having a hard time. Read the guide, and everything pre-T4 is apparently easily doable with a party of 6 people. Heck, read the guide and it basically implies that you can (with care) solo PoTime! (which, imo, is nonsense)

So people feel stupid if they can't do it with 4 or 6 (or at least, I sure did). And if they /ooc ask for help, or just to complain / vent, they're often shut down. They're also often offered help, and that's good! (I'm more than happy to smash spider or something for new players, I needed help there too!) And of course, if they haven't read the guide yet (shame on them!), then they don't know what to expect and Yeah, PoTime is Harder Than Expected.

I'm not really sure that I think Time should be easier - I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gear up on the trash mobs, then the easier outside bosses, then hit the tunnel bosses. Nice and simple. But I do seem to recall the PoTime bosses taking longer than any boss up to T2 (not including epic bosses). So I can totally see the arguments both for and against an easier on-boarding process - which is what PoTime really is. I just can't decide which argument is better, so I'll leave that final decision up to those more capable (or more responsible Wink ) and just go with it.

With the minor proc buffs for new 70s, they shouldn't be quite so "stuck".

This is good news, and make me happy. It also kinda makes me want to try it out Cheesy

Mine is the drill that will pierce the heavens! Or at least the next tier.

Filthy casual? Yep, that's me!
Warrioror

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »

I haven't been on much at all lately since probably the last scheduled double loot weekend, but I would like to point out all the grinding.  I received a lot of help in the begining yeah, but as far as the grinding part, I did 95% of it by myself.  It is required on the server, without a doubt, but the amount of grinding has burnt me out.  An explanation to why I have been gone.  After assisting gnomi with his UW's and attempting to get uc's I needed a break.  I don't know how people farm them so fast but I've spent month's farming pieces for UC's and I still only have 1.  I've been sitting at 48 oracle on my 2nd for about 3 weeks now because the v2 just is not dropping.  Now, I'm not saying get rid of the farming and grinding but I am saying maybe the amount of farming is a bit way excessive?
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »

I haven't been on much at all lately since probably the last scheduled double loot weekend, but I would like to point out all the grinding.  I received a lot of help in the begining yeah, but as far as the grinding part, I did 95% of it by myself.  It is required on the server, without a doubt, but the amount of grinding has burnt me out.  An explanation to why I have been gone.  After assisting gnomi with his UW's and attempting to get uc's I needed a break.  I don't know how people farm them so fast but I've spent month's farming pieces for UC's and I still only have 1.  I've been sitting at 48 oracle on my 2nd for about 3 weeks now because the v2 just is not dropping.  Now, I'm not saying get rid of the farming and grinding but I am saying maybe the amount of farming is a bit way excessive?
V2 grind in hoh sucks, about the only time worth doing it is during double loot. I have been grinding v1's in ToFS2 which is not too bad, avg 1 a clear which takes a few minutes. I got burned out doing that so went to HoH for awhile and would pull 2 or 3 sections at a time and got 1 v2 out of the entire zone. Bad rng I'm sure but still. I know you have to earn it but after 6 UC it's just a booooring grind.

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:51 pm »

If it is not hard you have accomplished nothing... this game is hard... most people don't make it to the final tier before burning out and going back to something else.. it takes HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of hours to get to t9.... Casual players will never see the top end and thank god because the rest of us would be bored and gone in a month or 2.

Seriously need to look at other options is POT is taxing your patience and the rest of us should not have our content changed to fit some easy 10 hours a week players needs to progress...

sorry...

lots of servers lots of options...

this one is hard...

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »

Here's the problem: Hate and Akk are two guys. Thats it. Any new content is either created by them or funneled through them....which severely limits the amount of new content we get.

Call it grind if you like, but the truth of the matter is that if you trivialize content....remove the "grind" then its conquered in no time, players hit max gear/tier and get bored in no time at all. Is it a balancing act between boredom because it takes so long to get through content, vs boredom because of nothing to do? Hell, yes!!

But I'd rather be bored because it takes me so long to overcome content than be bored because I correctly recited my name and got a goodie, which is pretty much the way content is in most MMO's since Whores of Warcrap. At least this type boredom I get the "Hoorah!" of finishing the job when I do.

As someone pointed out to me regarding passing out high end buffs several times a day: you do a player no favors when you make things TOO easy. This is one of the reasons I havent been buffing much lately (well aside from that whole surgery and pain meds thing), and why you wont see me buffing as often.

Lets not see content so trivialized that EZ server becomes yet another pathetic excuse for a 10 second loot collect.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:45:01 pm by mpano66 » Logged

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)