Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 10:36:48 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 28762 times)
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 06:05:56 am »

And this mother board you listed will work 100%  I noticed it said H81 chipset where mine is the H61.... http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-MicroATX-Motherboard-H81M-E33/dp/B00F42W70A/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444311753&sr=1-2&keywords=intel+motherboard

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 08:19:23 am »

That one will not, but not because of the chipset. The issue is the socket type. Thats 1150, you want 1155 if you plan to keep your old CPU.

The newegg boards I listed will work, but if you're married to Amazon try searching for H61, P67, H77 or B75 chipset boards. Prices will be all over the place, and you'll pay more than you would at newegg. Also, stay away from USED or REFURB boards on Amazon....those suck. Newegg refurb I'd do, since they have a set refurb program and you know what you're getting while with Amazon its whatever company of the day is posting their shit to Amazon.

I'd also stay away from the Z77 chipset or Z75 set boards. The only real benefit to those comes when you overclock your CPU and RAM, and/or SLI/Xfire multiple vid cards, which it sounds like you wont be doing.

All in all, I'd iuse Newegg or Tiger Direct if you plan to buy a new board.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:53 am »

How about this one? $63.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131860

Will this one work?

Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:15 am »

That would work, but only 2 RAM slots would make me look for a different board, especially with a boxing rig in mind. I'd say 4 slots at a minimum. I do like ASUS most of the time though. They've pissed me off in the past, but generally better than average when it comes to performance.
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 05:15:52 pm »

Agreed with Kruc on both points: Asus good, 2 slots bad.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 05:21:57 pm »

If I were going for pure cost, I'd consider http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM35M6951. Its a refurb, but newegg with a guarantee. H77 board, so solid. 60 bucks.

Overall I'd prefer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131836....B75 board, new, 4 slot.....ASUS, so decent, even if it is rated 3 eggs.

Other option is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304. ASRock isnt horrid, and the board itself has solid features.

Honestly, were it me I'd try and get away from the H61. You will need to hope that somewhere there is a solid BIOS update to make the board 100% compatible with some newer features.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »

The link for your "preferred board" isn't coming up?  I guess my main question is are all of these more or less plug and play?  Just disassemble and put all my existing parts in and fire it up.... Huh

Leis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2015, 07:02:23 pm »

Other than your processor needing a solid layer silicon grease and maybe some jumper settings, if you got compatible parts it should be plug and *pray*.

Flin is alone with the grimoire. I stab it, no wait I backstab it! You can't backstab it, you can't sneak attack an inanimate object. Why not it's prone? It doesn't have a discernible anatomy. It's got a spine doesn't it? *Rolls a 1 and stabs himself.
Leis  ~  Daira  ~  Arith  ~  Laria
RedDwarf

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 07:07:46 pm »

I think this is the link Chunka put down for the preferred option, correct me I'm wrong
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131836&cm_re=1155-_-13-131-836-_-Product

If all components are compatible, then yes, its just a case of swapping over, being careful with CPU Cheesy
I would double check your PSU, especially if you are putting a bigger GPU in

Why don't you try the bios update, i know the board probably isn't the best, but if its working ok on win7, try and fix the win10 issue, save your $$$
I looked on HP site for your model PC, there is a bios update, just change the OS to win8, instead of win7, bios update aug 2015
That tells me, there is an issue with win8 plus on that board

Just my thoughts

Red

Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 07:59:04 pm »

There isnt one, though, Red....thats the issue. He's not the only one with this issue; I've come across many others with similar problems trying to update bios on these HP proprietary Foxconn boards.

The best option you can hope for is to find bios for another board that are similarly compatible, and thats a crapshoot.

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 09:10:55 pm »

Other than your processor needing a solid layer silicon grease and maybe some jumper settings, if you got compatible parts it should be plug and *pray*.

Yeah - you'll have to buy new processor paste and wipe the old stuff off... but other than that, it should be plug and play (or more accurately, as Leis put it, "pray")

But like Red and Chunka said - just take your best shot at doing a bios update first to save the money before buying a whole new MB
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:17:45 pm by Darpey » Logged

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2015, 05:32:30 am »

ASUS P8H77-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 

I just bought: ASUS P8H77-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
 www.newegg.com

Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2015, 06:34:07 am »

Grats!! Yell if ya need help setting it up

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2015, 09:14:11 am »

It's been said before, but make sure you pick up a new tube of thermal paste... if you just plop your old processor on the new board you will fry it. Sold in store @ Best Buy, or online

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 10:25:29 am »

All this talk if building PC's makes me want to build a new one. This is my next project when I do.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wall+mounted+computer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#imgrc=tAavQWyzu23NmM%3A

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 8678