Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 03:09:52 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Guts or Glory?  (Read 9740 times)
balidet
Master

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »

So should I spend 500$ on some new gear (Motherboard, processor, ram) OR should i drop 1k on a new system and just call it good?

keep in mind my case is still my original alienware from like 1999 or some shit...maybe 2000 lol...all internals where updated a few years ago but its that time again..

best bang for my $$...

suggestions?

munga

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:24:54 pm »

Depends what the rest of your system is like and what you want it to do.
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:03:44 pm »

keep in mind my case is still my original alienware from like 1999 or some shit...maybe 2000 lol...all internals where updated a few years ago but its that time again..

best bang for my $$...

suggestions?

I'm guessing all of your hardware could probably stand to be replaced at this point. For example, you should probably upgrade your video card, but you would need a new motherboard. You should probably upgrade your RAM, but new RAM won't be compatible with your 1999 RAM, etc...

But you could link the specs just for giggles and we could see

https://choosemypc.net/ is a great site to recommend hardware to build a PC in sliding scale price ranges... with or without pricing in an OS, in case you have access to one and don't want to include that in your price.

If you know what you're doing AT ALL, definitely don't buy a pre-made computer, especially not an alienware, or comparable "brand name" gaming computer. You're going to pay an extra 50% premium over building it yourself.

Here's my (lightning fast) PC build... adds up to $1074 (not counting the extra optical drives, the wifi card, or the other HDDs)

* 4GBx2 (8GB) RAM $37
* Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Solid State Drive $150
* Intel Core i5 4690k $224
* Corsair 200r case $58
* GTX970 4GB Video Card $325
* Corsair CX600 600W Power Supply $65
* CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan $30
* Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM Strip $35
* MSI ATX DDR3 2600 "Gaming" Motherboard $149

BUT you don't have to do all that for a fast build. And if you're just wanting to play EZServer, this is way overkill obviously. That's the beauty of https://choosemypc.net/ - it does a pretty damn good job of recommending the best hardware for a $600 build... or a $400 build... or a $1000 build... or a $1200 build (IMO)

^  my rig, I dremmeled the solid case and put in a plexiglass side.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:40:54 pm by Darpey » Logged

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:35:51 pm »

So should I spend 500$ on some new gear (Motherboard, processor, ram) OR should i drop 1k on a new system and just call it good?

best bang for my $$...

suggestions?

WINDOWS+R, type in "dxdiag", run the 64x option at the bottom, save all information and email me this text file at Hateborne@gmail.com and I'll post a suggestion list. Smiley

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:32:40 am »

Lotta great ways to go right now when it comes to hardware. But all in all its ALWAYS best to build your own if you can. Premade systems almost universally cost more than they should, and unless you watch the build like a hawk they often use substandard hardware.

I was for years an AMD fanboy, and I still like a lot of what they do....but as things stand the best bang for the buck IMO is Intel's Skylakes (1151 sockets). They are far more power efficient than ever, can easily overclock (my I7 6700 is standard 4.0 GHz but runs OC'd at 4.9 with just a decent fan and heatsink and its WAY stable....and seldom gets over 44C).

Oh, did I mention 4K vid support?

The mobos built for this CPU come in DDR3 if you wanna use older ram, but you can also get em with DDR4 support, which is finally seeing some massive stability and perf jumps over DDR3 (no one's sure yet what the real speed limit is on this new ram, but they are selling em now in 4266Mhz flavors). Also the 1151 socket boards support PCI-E 3.0, another performance jump over the AM3 boards used by AMD CPU's.

Of course they come with a little higher price tag, too. A top end AMD FX CPU can be had for a little over $200 right now, whereas the higher end Skylakes will go for nearly twice that. But there are decent and solid I5's that will go for around $200 on the Skylake end.

So.....some examples from newegg:

Skylake I7 6700 4.0 Ghz on newegg right now for $350

or, a lower cost option:

I5 6600 3.5 Ghz on newegg right now for $250

ASUS Z170 A mobo on newegg right now for $140

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 on newegg right now for $90

So your core components before GPU will run you $480 to $580 with this option.

From there its just a matter of finding a case you like....a decent PSU and drives, and then pick your GPU (hard to go wrong with Nvidia right now.....4 gig 960s for under $200, 970's for just over $300, or go big and grab a 980 starting at just under $500).

Ok....that being said.....Q4 this year AMD is releasing their new Zen processors, which are supposed to be 8 core powerhouses with superfine 14nm architecture and support for DDr4, PCI-E3.0 and more. No final numbers on these yet as far as costs etc, but they will be a new socket type, which means your board better be ASUS (they usually jump out the gate fastest with stable, solid boards for new builds), and probably means prices will be competitive with Intel.

Sorry if this left you more confused than you were.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:39:07 am by Chunka » Logged

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 07:50:35 am »

Chunka is fancier than I am - i7 and 32GB RAM

What's faster than lightning? Whatever it is, that's what Chunka's computer is Smiley

Although realistically, you can't tell much of a difference between the i5 and the i7 on non-editing software, and you certainly can't tell the difference between 16 and 32GB RAM - for normal use. (12 would probably be more than enough in 98% of all computer use, including gaming) - although I've heard that running lots of EZ Boxes and other applications can creep past 16.

From what I can tell, the graphics card is the only component where you will notice performance increases going with the top-top end cards. A GTX980 @$450 will outperform a GTX970 @ $315... even though both are super fast, especially with games in our current year (and probably for a few years to come)

The important things IMO are to make sure you're running your Operating System and games (e.g. EZServer) on a Solid State Drive - for $75 for a 250gb and $150 for a 500gb SSD, you don't even need another HDD, and you're going to notice more performance increase than upgrading any other single component (assuming your components aren't on the low end).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:54:06 am by Darpey » Logged

Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:11 am »

This is recently what I got:

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core - $245

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan - $30

EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750
Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card  - $140

ASUS Z170-P D3 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s   - $90
USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

used my old DDR3 RAM (16g), old powersupply (750w) and I got a new DYI case for like $30

I did have a SSD (120g) but I did get a new 2tb HD which was around $60 on sale somewhere.

I run the game from the SSD and everything else off the regular HD. I bought all this off Newegg except the HD.

All of this was basically on Chunka's advice and I can run 18 toons np, even 23, whatever. Yeah it gets a little laggy with 18 toons and 100 mobs, but yeah know, that's kinda to be expected.

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:31:54 am »

The only thing that might make me NOT buy a Skylake were I in your shoes is whats coming from AMD...and thats not clear. But what they are claiming perf wise is fairly incredible...and 3 other things to consider:

Consoles are making deals right now to put AMD Zen CPU and APU into their new systems
According to a friend "in the know" the rumors are true, and Apple is rapidly becoming an AMD processor company. Nextgen iMacs will be Zen CPUs
.....well, just Google "AMD China"!

All this has lead to a 50%+ stock jump for AMD recently, and no sign of it slowing. Something big is coming.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

yea and i see that INTEL just laid off 12k workers world wide...based on slow pc growth

balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 12:51:21 pm »

I do have a solid state drive that has only my EZ stuff on it and that was a nice uptick in performace.... I will do the other stuff when I get home...

My computer is in such a sad state that its effecting my enjoyment of the game and my play times sucks because it takes so damn long to log in (5-10 mins) depending on crashes ext... that I am already pissed before I log into t10 and die 5 times from random shit:)

Thank you all for the suggestions and I will try to get my specs on here as suggested...

I think I spent 3k on this comp from Alienware back in the day... it was bad ass...

I used to be really into building my own rigs but that was like 10 years ago or more and I have no idea what all the new shiny stuff is.Smiley thanks for the help

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:27:19 pm »

I do have a solid state drive that has only my EZ stuff on it and that was a nice uptick in performace.... I will do the other stuff when I get home...

... and your OS? or just EZServer?

I think I spent 3k on this comp from Alienware back in the day... it was bad ass...

You can still get good name brand (Alienware) computers, you're just going to spend way more money, and they often make odd decisions on what hardware to put in the pc:

* Alienware X51 Slim Desktop] $1500 - but uses a HDD (no SSD), and a GTX 760 (sub-par video card for the price... and video card is arguably the single most important component)

* Alienware Area-51 $3000 - it does have the DUAL (SLI) GTX980 (great video card), but STILL only has a 128gb SSD, and 16gb RAM... but hey, it's a triangle

With the cost of that cheaper alienware, you could get top-end hardware in every single category (e.g. i7 processor with GTX980 and 500GB SSD) - and your $1500 built PC would be better than the $3000 alienware - although I guess you couldn't buy that second GTX980 for the dual cards. For $1800 you could have a computer that was better in every way than the $3000 alienware.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:21:47 pm by Darpey » Logged

balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:48:51 pm »

Yea I need to snag another SSD for the operating system and relegate my old 2tb HHD to just bulk storage.

all good stuff thanks for the thoughts peeps!

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 03:21:16 pm »

Even if your SSD is only 120gb... that's still enough for an OS and a few games. I just reformat and put the OS and EZ on your existing SSD rather than getting a new one. Juts my thoughts.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »

That's the one thing that kept me from putting a new SSD drive on my build...how do you clone the current HD and put it on the SSD? I just used my old hard drive.  Couldnt find any info on doing it on You Tube and asked about cloning the drive but was told that it could make bad things happen on your PC.  Undecided

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 06:46:33 pm »

they used to provide software you could use to clone harddrives but again all my info is a decade out of date.

I did copy my entire EQ/MQ file to my SSD from my laptop with no issues once I fixed the shortcuts to reflect the new drive location.

So I  can plug my SSD into any computer and its EZ time!:)

I have not had luck doing this with operating systems at all.. so I would not recommend that.

but why would you with the key you can just reinstall right?

I guess I dont understand... games and data is no problem to copy over...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 111
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)