Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:29:50 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question about classes  (Read 6367 times)
AbyssalStalker

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:40 pm »

Good afternoon everyone,

I've been playing and enjoying EZ on and off for the past few months. Between the two wiki, excel sheet and forum I've found a lot of great guides that have helped my progress. Thanks to all those contributors!

One thing I noticed, however, is that some guides either disagree with each other, or were written with a large amount of time between another so the information may not be current. I've read that progression becomes difficult at later tiers without a well-balanced group. I'm currently running a 6-box group: Warrior, Berserker, Monk, Rogue, Mage, Cleric. It's been fun, but now that I've worked my way up through a couple of tiers and have experienced some of the game, I'm noticing I may have made some mistakes and wanted to ask for some advice from the community.

As I've worked my way through the tiers I've found that the buff 'Timeless: Vampiric Thunder' from enchanters significantly changes the DPS in my group. It's a night and day difference with strike augments. So much so, that I am considering bringing up an enchanter to replace the mage slot in my group, especially since enchanters also can summon their own pet and complete the same quest line as a Mage to make their pet viable. Does this seem reasonable? Or is the mage providing something that is equivalent that I'm simply not realizing. I was thinking about COTH but I wouldn't mind donating for the COTH clicky item down the line.

I read that clerics heal well early but lose their luster towards later tiers to Paladins and potentially Druids. My cleric has served me well up to this point, but if I'm going to get serious about progression I'm considering replacing her as well. Is the difference nowadays still significant? I do like the crab line of buffs but I could always keep her as a buffer.

Some may roll their eyes about me replacing some characters, but as I'm doing research I can see there is a ton of game left ahead of me and I'd like to have the ideal composition to get me there. The characters I would replace wouldn't get deleted, but shelved for the time being. Their progress wouldn't be a waste and I could always add them to a raid if needed. =)

Thanks in advance!
Bibbed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:21:08 pm »

I'm new been progressing slowly due to time constraints but from what I seen all toons bring something to the table. Honestly I'd replace the mage with a macro for death spell. I just got that yesterday and I cut my pulls from 30-40 sec kills down to 10-12 seconds. Healing I went with dry for the skin like drake line which has saved me a ton on inc pulls
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:04:10 pm »

In an ideal playing situation I always used 12 characters. In my later years I opted for 18 characters.

Why? Because,

1. I liked having all the buffs available at all times
2. Classes change from time to time, spells, etc so I wanted to make sure I had at least 1 of all classes current.

Classes I never benched were, Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Shaman, Druid, Mage, Zerker, Monk, Enchanter

If I had to build a single 6 character team....

Warrior, Paladin, Druid, Monk, Zerker and Enchanter

BUT, that's me. This server is so widely diverse. You can literally make nearly every combination work. Some players use SK and Paladins as main tanks, even in the later end tiers.

In the end its a simple formula, Tank, Healer and DPS.

How you get there is subject to how you want to play. Pulling massive amounts of mobs for farming would dictate a different group/raid make up than a progression team in some regards.

Not everyone wants to load 12 characters and a lot of players over the years have had a lot of success with 6 characters only. The fewer the character count the more you will need to progress each character, ie the more side quests to compensate for the lack of raw dps/healing.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas

AbyssalStalker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:56:04 am »

Rent,

That was a very well thought out post and has given me some nice perspective. Thanks!

Bringing a second group up may be a good solution for me to cover my bases. When making a second group, do players tend to create it with a team of 6 in mind or a team of 12? Like, would it still use a tank, DPS, healer? Or would it be fine to form it with buffers and DPS to round out the other group?

If the former, I'd probably do Warrior, Paladin, Druid, Enchanter, Monk, Berserker (the team you picked, funny enough)

If the latter, I'd probably do Paladin, Druid, Enchanter, Monk, Berserker, Shaman

For two groups, you'd have to set up separate hotkeys for group healers like clerics I presume? One to simply cast a spell on your group, but another to target the leader of another group? I've never handled a raid before so trying to prepare myself =)

Thanks!
Bibbed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:59:20 am »

In an ideal playing situation I always used 12 characters. In my later years I opted for 18 characters.

Why? Because,

1. I liked having all the buffs available at all times
2. Classes change from time to time, spells, etc so I wanted to make sure I had at least 1 of all classes current.

Classes I never benched were, Warrior, Paladin, Cleric, Shaman, Druid, Mage, Zerker, Monk, Enchanter

BUT, that's me. This server is so widely diverse. You can literally make nearly every combination work. Some players use SK and Paladins as main tanks, even in the later end tiers.

In the end its a simple formula, Tank, Healer and DPS.

How you get there is subject to how you want to play. Pulling massive amounts of mobs for farming would dictate a different group/raid make up than a progression team in some regards.

Not everyone wants to load 12 characters and a lot of players over the years have had a lot of success with 6 characters only. The fewer the character count the more you will need to progress each character, ie the more side quests to compensate for the lack of raw dps/healing.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas

This is why I have spent time not doing tiers but instead farming what I could sell for soa  and mana neck and roa  and resistance charms. So that from what I have been told and read when I start doing tiers ill be able to go a tad further before a dps check or ac check hurts me
Zeldd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:32:56 pm »

One thing to think about to is your healers. yes druid does some nice heals but, do you want to have to press buttons to heal? or would you rather have healing done from melee procs?

I find the perfect makeup for a group is warrior, pally, cleric, monk, rogue, zerker. yes pally heals more than cleric but cleric buff is also nice. my secondary group consist of shaman, enc, druid, mage. for buffs only. but with the first group listed you simply turn on melee attacks and shred. no need to cast spells. I have made every class on this server and without adding ultimate weapons into the equation, rog does the best dps but monk is very very close second, so close that sometimes he overtakes rogue in dps.  But monk has some pretty useful skills to like being able to break up pulls when you just enter a tier. with this six man makeup for a group you should be able to get to any tier you wish providing you stay on top of ring of ages and shield of ages for your tank and strike augs for your dps. and dont gimp on your ultimate charms. everyone in your group needs a UC
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:24 pm »

When I considered making my 2nd group a long time ago, I focused on getting the classes that I lacked. Cleric, Druid, Mage, Ench.

BUT....

That didn't make a very stable group Sad

So I started to think of two independent groups, with thought to the overall team.

This is what I came up with...

I did eventually put a 2nd warrior in that group. Reasoning was, it's kinda like a "Oh Shit" factor. If Rent went down I could jump screens and maybe salvage the team from a complete wipe. Over time I got better with doing this and saving myself more effectively.

So with the tank issue out of the way I looked at what I wanted. I wanted classes for the whole team. But, I also needed healing for that 2nd group.

I made sure to put a good healer in there. I ended up putting my Shaman into the 2nd group and moving a Cleric into my main tank group. I kept the Druid in the first tank group.

I rounded out my 2nd grp with the ones I wanted. So my 2nd group ended up like Warrior, Shaman, Enchanter, Zerker, Paladin, Zerker. I made a 2nd paladin to stabilize that 2nd group on healing.

In my main group I set it up like, Warrior, Paladin, Druid, Cleric, Monk and Mage

Now, I mixed this up from time to time, making new toons here and there, trying new things, whatever. Cause as long as I had those basic roles covered I could have anyone in those optional slots. Like the mage was optional, one of the zerkers, optional, Enchanter, etc.

Cause just because you have 2 solid groups doesn't mean you can't have your benched buffers. You can level them up in an optional slot and then sit them on the bench and just log them in to buff, or play a month and switch out with another toon you like.

This is how I ended up with 30+ toons lol. I kept making and leveling up toons. Kept trying to find that niche that suited how I wanted to play. I even had SK as my 2nd group tank for a while after the changes Hateborne put into that class.

So, it is a wide road for you to navigate. There are no "wrong" turns and this is just my experience and how I made my team. Hope that helps some.

walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 02:03:30 pm »

I'd swap druid for cleric, at least.

actually I'd swap the druid for another dps, rogue/ranger or even another monk.

of course actually, actually, I'd make another group and throw the druid/cleric etc in there and also make a shaman for buffs.

OP definitely needs a paladin. I have 2. but the 2nd one is really just left over from when you basically wanted 2 paladins in every group (long time ago, today paladin healing is much stronger)

re: chanter vs mage. IMO chanter is essential. VT, other buffs, aggro buffs especially.
mage has stronger nukes and his pet is more buff (my T9 mage's pet has like 10million hp LOL)... though chanter pet randomly death-touches (250M nuke) this is actually the only way I got past certain bosses in T7 and T8 that have ridiculous regen/lifetaps... though you can also get some DT clickies from Halloween events/etc...

right now my main group is war, pal, ranger, mage, monk, zerker. don't laugh, ranger was my 1st toon. he's also slightly better dps than the monk, neither are using UW's though.

2nd group is just druid, chanter, pal2

in T10 I move pal2 into the 1st group (swap with mage). need the extra heals to deal with rampage. (though I have retired from T10 for now due to not enough DPS). I'm sort of slowly working on getting everyone UC3, might do another UW too.

then if I round out that 2nd group I'll probably add cleric, shaman (buffs) and another dps like Rog.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:52:49 pm by walk2k » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061