Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 05:34:42 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Ways to help you box.  (Read 120551 times)
ookii

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:52:21 pm »

Ya I think everyone has different taste on what they want from a game, for me graphics have always taken a back seat to running the game smooth or being able to play faster/better.

Also, I don't need Final Fantasy graphics to enjoy a challenge or a good story. Most of it is the same graphics I've seen for years, I don't feel like i'm missing the "character" or "depth" of each mob I kill b/c I can't see that they are a Gnoll wearing a eye patch.

Some games add a lot cool factor with great character designs, but EQ isn't one of them.
youthdragon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »

This is why i said 2nd folder..  I run one charter on full graphics and details.  Most of the time it is  my tank sense he has to see to pull.  My rangers I am only on there screen for maybe 5 sec a pull.  My bard I see once a hr..  My clerics I just tab and hit a hot key..  Most fight last maybe 10 min max.  I spend more time on my clerics screen but in less durations..  What i love about this set up is by the time i get pudge loaded into the world my other 7 toons are already done loading.  Warming You can not use this method on your box toons in Posky (T3,T4) area some reason they just crash when zoning up.
tacl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »

i been messing around with ISBoxer the last 2 days got it setup it is really sweet. the same people who make wineq2.

http://isboxer.com/ there is a few videos of it in action. i am on their 7 day trial now. pretty sure i will pay for it, helped me box a ton. no more alt tabbing 20 times in one fight. i looked in to this software and the general consensus ISBoxer is what most people stick with once they try it.

i had a nightmare setting it up. it would crash each EQ instance. if anyone else has that problem i can post how i got it to work but it involves defaulting everything and starting from scratch and not allowing ISboxer to change anything like resolution. because it wants to make a custom resolution for each window so they are all native resolution. i had to leave it at default eq preselect resolutions. i am using titanium btw. it also makes custom eqclient.ini files for each instance so you can have different settings on each box.  that is really nice until you realized you defaulted everything and have dozen keys to remap then do it for each box.
revloc02

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »

This is a good guide thanks for posting it.

I have a couple questions:

How do you switch from one toon to another? I use WinEQ and only 3 box (but having found the guide I will prolly 6 box now) and I configured it so that I can use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys to toggle forward and backward through my characters. How do you guys do it? especially those of you who six box or more. Do you have a system that helps you keep track of who's who? Do you keep similar hotkeys in the same place? What helps you keep things going smooth and easy? (And on a tangent: Do you ever, in the midst of a fight, tell a guy to do something that was meant for a different guy and then do the same thing again because you were off...heh?)

How do you facilitate six-boxing battles? You got six guys that all need to be doing stuff how do you manage it?
Example:
1) Warrior - turn him on. But is there an auto-taunt? Can you put taunt into a hotbutton macro?
2) Ranger - set to autofire, and then he good, right?
3) Bard - is already running..?? so he's fine
4) Mage - ...no idea, what do you do to keep him contributing?
5) Monk - turn him on...and is there more here, how do you make him do stuff?
6) Cleric - Jump to him when the warrior needs a heal and hit a hotbutton
Please run through a scenario and explain how you do it--how do you six box and keep all the toons involved and contributing? Is there a lot of frantic jumping back and forth, or toggling through the party to "get this guy goin on this to help here and get that guy doing that thing over there" or is there something that helps make this easy (or easier)?

Thanks.
Drezden

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:12 pm »

I thought ya could set wineq keybinds to each instance,for example char1=alt+F1, char2=alt+F2, char3=alt+F4..I know you can in ISboxer
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:31:00 am by Nindalf » Logged
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 09:29:53 pm »

I use the mouse a lot to get to different toons. I always have my warrior first, monk second and clerics last. In between the monks and the clerics I keep my other melee toons. It takes getting used to but it can be done.

Balthor2
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 05:02:59 am »

I run upwards of 10 per machine from one folder.
No need to run each instance out of its own install path.
Google MQ2Wiki and read it, get some ideas, make your shit work how you want it to work.
Demin
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 11:15:19 am »

Yeah, little bit old, but here goes:

I turned off all the models I don't use and turned the graphic settings way down, as suggested.  My memory usage when boxing went from about 98% to around 75%, and it seems to help out a bit.

However, I also did the step where I remove the 3,1,TFFFC,Global_chr,Loading
line.  My client kept crashing when i did this, so I put the line back. 

However, since I did that, I sometimes get my character moving in slow motion.  It seems to be linked to running MQ2, but I can't figure out why it never did this before. 

Any clues?
Razormaw

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »

Slow-mo is typically due to running on a multi-core PC. Set your EQ Client to run on a single processor (EQEmu Launcher can do it for ya, I don't recall the command line parameter for it) and it should be fine.

Also, you're supposed to remove all BUT that line. There's a post near the bottom on the first page mentioning a few others to leave in to let bird baths work.

Razormaw the Leaping Lizard - 70 2x 3.0 Monk
Razamataz - 70 3.0 Mage
Razin Bran the Cereal Killer - 70 2.0 Paladin
<Baked Potato>
Strix

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:23 pm »

Hi Guys

Just wanted to say that this thread is fantastic - a big thanks to all who have contributed.  It really helps when people take the time to share their knowledge with others.

I've had some crashing issues lately and it's raised a few questions for me that I thought I might pose to the forums.  Firstly, I'm using MQ2 and usually boxing 4 toons at once (all of which are on different accounts).  I've got two EQ folders set up (as per the instructions in this thread) and have all the settings turned way down on the version I use for the bots.  This set up works great most of the time but, from time to time, will crash for no apparent reason after a couple of hours of play.  I should add that there is about a 30% chance it will crash after the death of one of the toons (something that I can live with).  I've been reading extensively about MQ2 and how it works and have come to the conclusion that I really don't know how this program works or what it's really doing in the background of my system.  I should add here that I'm not a programmer but do have a basic understanding of scripting (certainly compiling a version of MQ2 is probably beyond me however).

Some questions that I haven't been able to find answers for (that perhaps some kind person could help with):

1.  In the wikki for MQ2 it says that the program is meant to connect to an ip address.  In my version however, MQ2 always says "Can't connect" but this doesn't stop features like /stick and the map from working.  Is this program meant to connect to something because the ip address supplied on the MQ2 forums doesn't seem to work on the emulator servers (further - advice on the MQ2 forums suggests that if you're playing on the emulator you're on your own in relation to the program connecting).

2.  If this program is meant to connect to an ip address, what is the address and what does connecting do for the user? I read about the ability to send /bc messages which seems cool for macros to avoid group chat spam -  but this feature doesn't appear to work, however, in my version of the program (perhaps because it's not connecting??). 

3.  If I'm running a firewall do I need to open a port to allow this connection? 

4.  Finally - If I do connect to a remote ip address (making an assumption here) using MQ2 - how much of my system am I exposing to the outside world?  I guess I'm interested to hear from others about how safe this program is.

Sorry if these questions have already been covered in another post of the forums (I have looked and no one seems to have asked in the past). 

Any help would be great Smiley 

Thanks in advance.
Strix

lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:39 pm »

Remove this line from your MacroQuest.ini file and it won't try to connect to the eqbc server anymore.

mq2eqbc=mq2eqbc

The eqbc server is an additional program you would need to run on your machine in order to use.  It is not necessary for /stick and map, so you don't need it.
Tibador

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 11:49:28 pm »

Plus it will probally get you banned only thing allowed is /stick map so telling these guys to use other stuff is a bad idea except like isoboxer as that is allowed on live.
Strix

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 10:49:47 pm »

Thanks for that lerxst2112 - that's fixed MQ2 trying to connect to something but not the random crashes.  It's odd - I'm using EQlindows and it works fine for boxing multiple windows but if I load up MQ2 it will randomly crash (usually with an error message from MQ2 saying something like: "MQ2 has detected a crash and needs to close your window").

Can you use Isoboxer as a replacement for MQ2?  Certainly the /stick and map features are extremely helpful in MQ2.  Having done some reading this morning they both appear to be really similar.  I'm guessing there are some fundamental differences between the two programs as Tibador has aluded - but for a novice user these seem hard to see (especially when you're doing a straight compare of the two programs). If anything Isoboxer seems to simplify many of the features that MQ2 offers.  Is that a correct assumption?

Bludlust

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 02:23:18 am »

Awesome post, I have been boxing but after reading this I box alot more lag free now. Smiley

Everett - Warrior, Fable - Paladin, Bloodlord - Paladin, Kimboslice - Shadowknight, Combatmedic - Cleric, Bludlust - Ranger.
Drezden

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

Aye awesome post,I went from box 3 to boxing 5-6 with ease with only 4gigs of ram !

I'd like to add this setup can be used with ISBoxer too,from 2 folders.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:24:53 pm by Nindalf » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061