Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2024, 04:18:31 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What's next for the rest of 2024  (Read 2416 times)
Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2024, 08:53:20 pm »

Just wanted to put out a quick post on what to expect for the back half of 2024.

Disconnection Issues

If anyone is still experiencing disconnection issues, please let me know here, or in game, or on Discord. Based on what I've seen, I am pretty sure the server code devs were able to find the issue. For anyone interested in what that was you can find the information HERE.

Wings of the Angel

I don't think I ever actually did a forum post about the cost associated with Wings of the Angel when it is cast on lower level characters. Quite simply, Wings is incredibly powerful even for higher level characters, and results in completely trivial content in the lower tiers. Originally the cost should have been added at the same time as the duration for the buffs was increased, but was not included at that time (I couldn't make it work properly). So while players can still buff individually with the class buffs included in Wings, casting it amongst lower characters will result in a cost of 2,500,000 per character level 76 and below.

Cost for Wings was removed as part of the investigation into the disconnections, as it was added about the same time as the server code update that ended up causing us problems. Since that is/was not the issue, expect the cost to be added back in the near future.

Difficulty, Group Size & Time Requirement Discussions

Both Sarthin and I, have had discussions amongst ourselves, talked with players interested in constructive discussions as well as reading forum posts, Discord messages and OOC chatter regarding the difficulty of content, group size and the time required to complete newer content.  We'll go through some bullet points...

Kael, overall, takes too long.

We agree with this general sentiment, and are working towards some tuning that will hopefully result in a more reasonable time investment requirement than it currently takes to complete T11. Now, as a player it may seem like this is an easy fix, just increase spawns & drops, adjust NPC difficulty where they may be too hard for the average player,  and everyone is happy. From our side, it requires some degree of finesse to both maintain what Sarthin's vision was in the gameplay for T11, while addressing player concerns. Our initial changes will start rolling out sometime this week, and continue until we are happy with it. As we've mentioned before, neither Sarthin or myself have any experience in game development, and there will be areas where that shows. One of our shared faults, is that we don't want to see our hard work steamrolled in a couple weeks by the likes of Pubise, Fec, Denzig amongst others who run large highly efficient armies, which the solution for which creates some unacceptable collateral damage for players who just want to log on and have a good time, so that needs some adjustment.

Group sizes are a bit out of control for the average player

Sarthin and I both prefer difficult content, and between Veeshan's Peak, Rallos event, Kael Drakkel and Fear Itself, we've tried to create more challenging content than is typical for EZ. This creates issues in trying to balance our desire for challenging people to play better than they've had to in the past (eg. not just auto-healing with a single Paladin), while not driving up the number of groups needed to effectively work through the content. It is easy to make certain classes more desirable, which can in turn results in people feeling the need to bring a whole group up, because why go through Abyss and Sunderock for a couple characters, when you can just bring up another whole group. This of course results in the effective group size meta going from 18 to 24 to 30 to 36 in short order, which is understandingly daunting for people just starting out. Smaller groups have always required much closer attention to min/maxing, and a focus on farming the best gear before moving on, and that just doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. Now, we just end up recommending adding another 6 rogues instead of trying maximize their current DPS, instead of trying to maximize what they have. There is no easy answer here. While it's possible to impose group size limits on content, and some people, even with large armies, agree that this is a possible solution, it's not without a host of legitimate complaints from people who have spent countless hours bringing up group after group to try and keep up with the current meta. We could scale content much more aggressively as groups get larger, and while this is a less direct way of trying to control group size, it would also be a hard pill to swallow for some, though it's certainly still in the running as an idea going forward. Currently, our planning for T12 will see easier NPC difficulty (relatively speaking) than we've seen in VP, KD or Fear Itself, but NPC scaling will ramp up in difficulty as more are pulled. This mechanic was used in Misty Thicket (the caster/fighter guild alternative) to control twinked characters from being able to effectively zone pull, and will be used similarly in T12 - Vex Thal. While some players will be able to pull more than others, and there won't be a coded hard cap, there will be a functional hard cap. This will work in unison with the group size scaling similar to what's already in place in Kael and Fear Itself.

Difficulty.

I think it probably goes without saying, not everyone is a fan of super difficult content, and while we definitely see more people excitedly talking about killing their first Enslaved Dragon in Veeshan, or bosses in Kael than we do spawning Vampire Bats in Loping Plains, these can also be a great source of frustration when you just can't get over the hump. So, T12 will move away slightly from these extra difficult encounters, and go back to a slightly gentler NPC difficulty level, and we'll gauge the response from there. While Sarthin and I, somewhat selfishly, want to create content we'd like to play, we also understand we are not the majority, and while we obviously need to make decisions that may be unpopular from time to time (mostly me, Sarthin ain't got no juice!  Kiss ) , we do want to make content that people enjoy playing.

What now?

• Expect changes soon-ish to Kael. It's not going to be shortened in half or anything, but we'll start making incremental changes, and go from there.
            • Tier 12 - Vex Thal's development will continue. It is going to be a fairly basic tier, but some fun surprises. Expected _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , 202_.
            • Fear Itself concerns - we've seen them, nothing concrete to announce regarding that.
            • Any other concerns, please keep them to yourself, we all have problems, deal with them like adults....just kidding, post them here...or send direct messages to Sarthin, he's a good secretary.

For Akkadius & Sarthin,

Draca

Otto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 01:46:56 pm »

Hey gang,
I’ve been away a while now but wanted to post on this one. Great thoughts behind this, and would likely return to EZ if I didn’t have to box so many toons.

I was once jealous of Tnonim and his fully kitted 6-man crew because it had a lighter footprint.

Either way, great work as always and hope to see you all again one day!

Ottowar

clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 09:45:54 am »

These upcoming changes sound fantastic, especially pull scaling. 
Calzin1978

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 05:43:17 pm »

Gredaruk here, so I'm experiencing disconnects for my entire crew (24) since the past 2 days, I can only stay logged in for less than 5 mins and every toon drops to char select screen,before that time I never had any issues ( even while a lot of of other players were). I Experienced this issue in my instances and also public zones. One thing I did notice is in my MQ2 box it said -MQ2EQBC: did not receive expected ping from server, pinging...

Not sure if that has anything to do with it but figured I'd include that info also.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 06:18:04 pm by Calzin1978 » Logged
Serra Angel

Heavenly incarnation of fury and purity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 09:14:21 am »

I'd like the smaller raid idea but that doesn't seem possible as 1 cleric ability to keep the raid healed is not enough. Also the cleric or the shaman heals doesn't equal the cleric in recast rate and raw heal power. Basically smaller group sizes is not possible unless 1 cleric, or 1 druid, or 1 shaman is sufficient to fully offset the tremendous damage done.

So the solution is 1 of 2 things. Either dial down the damage being done, or increase the healing capacity of cleric, druid and shamans.

Also druids and shaman heal spells must be targeted. If you can make them untargeted AoE spells then it would help.

The very young to the very old know best the song that angels sing.
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 09:37:19 am »

Having the shaman/druid heals be untargeted would actually be a really nice quality of life fix. 
Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2024, 10:11:09 am »

I got a question for you all. How many of you are running at least 2 warriors in your setup of 12-36 toons? Are you split tanking? if not.. you should!!!

I am only saying this because for the longest time, I have ran 2 warriors and added a 3rd. My thought process was if Mixlor ever died.. the second or third warrior would pick up the mobs and keep on trucking. But its nigh impossible if you have too many attacking the same warrior. Keep in mind the key point here is 1 warrior trying to tank 2-5 mobs.

Take Kael for instance. When I first entered the zone, I had 3 warriors in my setup but only Mixlor was trying to tank everything. Pulling 2 giants with my Tunare BP and UA gear was scary. Anything more than 2 was a 100% wipe. But... someone told me to split tank. Simply take the extra tanks and stick them on a mob so that is less damage being done to the main tank. 1 cleric with a druid or shaman heal can keep the tanks up WITH pallies stacked in the group of tanks. Once I learned this, my days of praying for the bard lull song or Enc mez spell from Kael are over. I have them both and dont even use them doing the split tank method. I couldn't believe that I didn't think of this before even when starting in Veeshan. I just took a little time to setup a hotkey for the 2nd and 3rd tank to target something.

Example Hotkey: ( on Main Tank) /multiline ; /bct (offtank) //xtar 1 ; /timed 2 /itemnotify "Warrior Class Augment 10" rightmouseup

If you have more than 2 tanks.. just add a second line on the hotkey for the other tank and //xtar 2. Even if you then have everyone attacking the target of the Main Tank.. the 2 offtanks have already aggroed their mobs and they will be taking the damage from the adds rather than the MT taking damage from all 3 mobs.

If you don't have 2 tanks in your setup, maybe build up your SK with the spell from Veeshan and gear them up.

Now, why am I mentioning this? Because we seem to be making EZ "easy" and its starting to ruin the content for me. I like easy but there needs to be somewhat of a challenge. Kael was that challenge as I learned new tips and tricks from others. But it was tweaked down and now I feel like its another mundane grind with no worries of wiping unless I pull 7-10. Kael is setup for single pulls with the chance to get 2 mobs in one pull because there are mobs that are grouped. Again, starting off I was scared to pull 2, but I learned to use my monk with FD to split them. If you don't have a monk, then SHD, Necro and even rogue with FD item from Airplane might do it. But if you use split tanking, then the FD/lull/mez isn't needed.

So folks, work on your gear, upgrade your strike augs and get some UWs. Once I did that, Kael became even easier for me before the tweaks. Now, its even easier.. right to the point of being too easy. My personal opinion was to increase the chance of item drops but keep the damage the same and possibly the HPs. I agree that was rough to go through all of that and get absolutely nothing when you killed a named mini or a Boss. I know that not all folks run 48 toons like I do, but I have done Kael with 12, 18, 24, 30 and 48. It does have a scaling factor and the only way for you to get the DPS you want is to boost your gear and weapons, no matter how many toons you are running.

btw, I am only running 48 toons right now because of the Fury of the Giants quest. I plan in the future to drop down to 24. That is really all I want to run.

Just my 2 copper on everything and moving forward in 2024.

-Mix-
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 10:15:53 am by Mixlor » Logged
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2024, 10:41:33 am »

Does that macro auto target the nearest mob that the main tank isn't targeting? 
orkiho

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2024, 03:04:54 pm »

Does that macro auto target the nearest mob that the main tank isn't targeting? 

No, "/xtar target #" selects target of the extended target window slot # it's a base eq command i believe. found the following that explains it a bit more. https://www.redguides.com/wiki/Command:/xtarget 

So if my main is targeting the mob in the first slot you could tell your off tank to "/xtar target 2" should select the mob in their second slot.  If you are using auto add hate target, I'm not sure if all toons xtarget window orders them the same though.
wachna

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2024, 09:42:33 am »

Oh when I return I have to try this method. My second warrior is useless right now, so maybe this will improve my fighting in kael.

Did not play more than 10 minutes in kael since the latest downgrade of the mobs but yes: it seems to be „too“ easy
Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2024, 02:01:07 pm »

yeah sorry, in my post I used /xtar 1 as an example for your second tank. It should have been /xtar 2 or 3 depending on how many you want your Main tank to "tank".
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6143
  • Latest: Toluene
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65071
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 87