Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:38:23 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PC DIED  (Read 23386 times)
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:21:46 pm »

The 2nd PC that EZ Server was hosted on, a 2.40 Gighertz Quadcore, 3 gig ram, 512 MB video card, and 1 TB HD died today, won't turn on anymore. Sad face, cause I was using it for Starcraft2. The PC was only 2 years old, too young to die IMHO. Its all your fault! All you users logging in grinding up my hard drive and burning out my CPU! *points finger* Arg!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Otaduke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »

that bites. I blame all the RoA's crashing PoFire every 5 seconds.
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »

yeah really /rude warriors.

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:29 pm »

I was even talking to my wife today how much I'd like to get a newer, faster gaming PC but why waste the money when I already have a half way decent gaming PC? Might as well wait for the first one to die before I buy another one. Guess careful what you wish for lol. I'll never get a retail PC again, at least not for gaming. Its definately going to be custom from website or something. I want SSD but not sure about Liquid cooling which appears to be a big thing lately on custom PC websites, but I dunno about maintenance and would probably just get regular fan. Other stuff is slam dunk.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Thyl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »

Its all your fault! All you users logging in grinding up my hard drive and burning out my CPU! *points finger* Arg!

I was even talking to my wife today how much I'd like to get a newer, faster gaming PC but why waste the money when I already have a half way decent gaming PC?

You're welcome.

Thyl - Warrior                Hiryu - Ranger
Turbulance - Rogue       Opmeter - Paladin
Epox - Druid                  Traximus - Paladin
Tecon - Enchanter
Atmax - Wixxor
Erigark - Cleric
Phasin - Mage
Kejek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:54:15 pm »

SSD isnt worth it for the price IMO.

Sure, it will be awesome when you can get a high quality one with enough space to actually game for under 300$. But yea, right now they are so expensive.

Can get a damn nice gaming PC on Newegg (custom built) for under 1k$. Hell, I built one almost 2 years ago for around 850$ with a 24 inch Wide Screen monitor, and it still hasnt had trouble with any games yet (Crysis highest settings.. 60fps, so awesome)

But yea, screw SSD for now, give it another couple years, unless you wanna put EZServer on some SSD drives. Then I'm all for it :O
sohami

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:36:53 pm »

SSD is TOTALLY worth it. Get one for under $200 and use a secondary drive for storage.
swamphy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »

Odd that this came up... I've been doing a study on SSD and EZ server specifically over the last few days... will post the results shortly.

Gnaughty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »

Aww man that sucks Hunter, I know how it feels when your Pc dies and it just sucks ass so much!  I am having problems with my laptop lately, I think its nearing the end of its lifespan sadly.  I used to be able to play games fine and such but now I can barely run EQ, WTB a desktop please.  Not enough spare cash atm to build one of the awesome rigs like Kejek was speaking of.

Poop
Isaaru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »

Hunter you get a chance to diagnose the issue yet?  I do it for a living if you need help.

If you decide to build a new computer and need build ideas/advice let me know!

Kejek

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 04:13:09 pm »

SSD is TOTALLY worth it. Get one for under $200 and use a secondary drive for storage.

The only ones I see under 200$ are around 60GB. Hell, EQ alone is around 4GB (thats the titanium). If you box on this server, you probably have multiple installs. You prolly do more gaming than just EQ (most games I play now are around the 8-15gb range, or more).

So, with a sub 200$ SSD, your gonna get 3-4 games installed (you want your OS on the SSD, and the games on the SSD to see the performance). Just not worth it when you can grab a nice 7200rpm Hard Drive for way less, with way more space.

Let's not even get into the limited amount of times data can be written to the SSD as well... :X
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:40:12 pm »

Besides space and price, I don't know all the pros or cons to SSD yet.

I was thinking about getting SSD for the OS + a few games, then 2nd HD 1-2TB @ 7200RPM and same for 3rd HD.

Its been a long time since I used fraps, but I always remember it hurting my frame rate. Would having a SSD just for recording my fraps videos improve that since the access is near instant? Then after finish recording, I could transfer to the 1TB HD. My quadcore with 3 gig ram and 512 MB video was the best gaming system I ever had, and my first custom system too. Now I'm thinking about going all out, like

HD1: 60 GB (OS)
HD2: 1 TB (Program Files)
HD3: 1 TB (Data, pics, video, music)
HD4: 60 GB SSD (Record Fraps here)
Standard CD/DVD +/- 24x
3.33 Gighertz 6-Core (i7 Extreme 980x)
Dual (2) Gforce Nvidia cards at 1 Gig Video each
24 GB (6x4GB) PC3 12800 DDR3 1600 Triple Channel
64 Bit Windows 7 (Above 3-4 gig require 64bit)
Full Tower
Extra Fans
750-1000w Power

Good system for gaming, no?

Input and advice welcome. If I'm going to spend a lot, then I'm doing my home work first and make sure I get it right. I've never had an Awsome System, just nice system once that just died.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:09 pm »

That system should scream.  I don't have much experience recording video to SSD either, but I do know that recording to a couple of 10k rpm raptor drives in raid 0 was much less of a strain on the system than to a regular 7200 rpm drive.
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »

Lol that is an ungodly system.

SSD are good for laptops, maybe servers were you have heavy db access (like emu..) don't think they are worth it for a home/gaming pc.

Anyway what's wrong with your old pc other than "won't turn on"?   If you get nothing at all when you press the power button it's probably the PSU, try swapping it.  If you get beeps or such, try removing everything but the cpu and see what happens.  If you get beeps look up the codes, you should obviously get "no ram" code at first, then put in 1 ram stick and try again, then the video card, etc...   Chances are only 1 of the components is bad and can probably be fixed.

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 07:36:58 pm »

Yeah, probably the PSU. Power button does nothing. It does not even attempt to turn on. Not sure if I have a spare PSU laying around, maybe I'll check my graveyard of PCs lol and rip something out and try it.

I need a new gaming PC anyway, so its good excuse.

So maybe SSD for OS and 10,000 RPM HD for recording fraps? Good system?

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061