Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:26:55 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Underused classes  (Read 13318 times)
Everwes

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:10:23 am »

If you have been here a bit, you know how this server is.  Warrior, cleric, paladin and ranger.  Those are the common classes and paladin only recently.  Then you have a druid and shaman for their buffs for roa.  That just seems sad.  My first toon over ten years ago was a mage. I have a mage here but why get him to 3.0 or beyond?  My son made a necro as his first toon and he is retired as well.  My favorite toon is my monk but he is a backup dps.  My bard, basically good for...oh ya tracking I guess.  Enchanter, beastlord, beserker and rogue, worthless unless you are single boxing.  I love that this server is set up for one or two humans, playing muliples and I appreciate that Hunter is just one guy running this server and I am happy with what is...but it is sad that the other classes really have no role here.  Any thoughts on this or is this a dead horse being flogged?  We could go back to seven different threads about the ever important weapon graphics...
sohami

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:16:33 am »

Play whats fun for you. Period. You can get through content with any class team. However, the challenge varies.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 12:24:09 am »

Any thoughts on this or is this a dead horse being flogged?

We ate the horse. Tasted like glue.

Lexington

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:26 am »

not sure why ur bard is only used for tracking, my bard is stacking dots that tick around 1.4k non crit 5 of them, and a DD song that does around 8k non crit, he has 3.0's- oh and his melee dps is around 700 to 1k w/ just autoattack.

tracking?

Anyhow- every class is decent in some areas. Enchanter for example, killer haste and other various buffs, especially the nice new group buff that increases all melee dmg (stacks with everything) rogue max backstab w/ 3.0 is 46k instead of 40k. every lil bit counts Smiley

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:16:38 am »

Hi Sohami

I hear you!  When I first found this game in 1998 it was like discovering D&D all over again.  The possibilies of the game seemed endless and I really loved the various classes and races in the game.  I remember when everyone was first discovering what each character was able to do and the sense of wonder the game gave was inspiring.  Then we all hit level 50 (the original max level cap) and the game became about legendary raids with 80+ guild members in the planes.  8 hour corpse runs... rolling for crappy loot.  It was addictive.  Then the level cap increased and the dynamics really shifted in a big way.  For the first time there appeared to be a serious class imbalance.  Those who played druids originally can really appreciate this.  Druids were the first class to suffer the imbalance badly.  They were worthless in groups (really only a poor substitute for other classes that you may not be able to find) - and pointless in guilds (to the extent where guilds just weren't interested in recruiting druids).  It seems to me that there has been an imbalance in this game for a long time (and this server is no different).  

Still - I'm having fun playing tanks Smiley

Strix

Isaaru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:48:55 am »

When I first found this game in 1998 it was like discovering D&D all over again.

You were in beta?  Game released 16 March 1999.

Just messing with ya.  This horse is way beaten, and like previously mentioned, glue taste...

The first imbalance was necros and mages, in the way of pets using the delay of equipped weapons.  AKA Jabober quadding for 58 with an unhasted delay of 17.  That was game breaking back in classic.

Selce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:35:40 am »

Except that mage pets didn't even dual weild for the first year, thanks to Abashi's 'testing'.  Roll Eyes
krujo81

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:46:48 am »

yeah wish there was a way for them not to take ripost or rampage damage would make pet classes much more valuable.

Enc are also a underused class there used much like shamans are as a buff bitc*
Wizards are by far the most underused class because the way our spells are we dont have many custom spells and yeah ok we can nuke but how much does our nukes really do to a mob with a billion hp? lol by the time ur reuse timer is up and ur done casting the next cast its done regen 20x what you nuked for.

I think for all classes a new  Direct Damage and/or Damage over Time spells need to be added for level 70 players common drop off normal PoD dragons Nodrop of corse so they have to actually go there to get them.

Lexington

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

truth ^^

wizards don't get good until they have thier t3 spells, mana burn is so so but the dmg is 3x ur current mana and 1 minute reuse. even doing 150k mana burn, 150k / 60 is not a lot of dps

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »

Actually Isaaru I did play the beta of EQ - Played the beta of Ultima Online around that time also and was lucky enough to be invited to play on the EQ beta just prior to launch.  Don't really remember the dates or at what point I started playing though - It might have actually been in 1999.  I do recall there being about a month of no play from Beta to live though.  I also recall having to wait for my box to arrive here in Australia once the game did go live (our launch date was a bit later so I was one of the first in the country to be playing).

You're right about the Necro's being totally out of balance with the rest of the characters in the game.  Out of balance in the opposite way from druids.  Necro's became the true solo class back then (interesting to see how Beast Lords have replaced them) while druids became completely useless. 

I remember reading some discussions on the "out of balance" issue on my old guild billboard and someone, interestingly, compared Norrath to other classic fantasy texts.  Specifically LOTR where a ranger (with limited magical ability) and a non magical hobbit were able to defeat the greatest dark wizard of all time.  And Arthurian legend - where Arthur/Lancelot outstrips Merlin in every instance of combat.  In these contexts, classes in Norrath are more in line with the reality of the classic texts of the genre.  Obviously Robert Jordan fans (et al) are always going to want more out the casting classes.  I guess if the classes were made totally equal we would have another version of Diablo. 

Strix

Gnaughty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:24 am »

Yeah it is too bad you dont see the dps on wizards and monks pre-T3/T4.  I wish those classes could be balanced more in line and they are working on it.  Its just that those people working on it got real busy and will be for another month.  Wizards dps with T3 spell kicks it, Yamakagi hits dps thats right alongside my rangers.  My monk does even more dps than my rangers and Ive been told the necros pet got pumped up quite a bit.  I tested my mage pet and yes it has been bumped to insane animalistic behavior as was my beastlord.  Keep in mind all of these toons have 4.0, so maybe theyve started at top and working their way down on balancing?  I dunno but I would like to see more necros, and wizards walking around, those guys on live always seemed so cool to me.

Poop
Lexington

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 01:20:16 am »

Ultima Online rocks! i still play it, tho it's on free servers, Pre-UOR forever! Smiley

Drezden

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:40:17 am »

Ultima 4 on my commodore 64..those where the days !
Lexington

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 02:27:39 am »

wow, c64 ya that takes me back. Castle Wolfenstein was awesome, stick figure action is the best!

Rystan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:29:06 am »

Mein Laben!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis