Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 08:55:55 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Server Up!  (Read 30025 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »

About the UW change, basically its another eqemu fail where someone at some point thought math should be done in some manner no sane person would choose to do.

The math is perfectly fine if your goal is to avoid floating point math, which was dreadfully slow when this project was started, and when the expected values are low enough that it doesn't matter.

Yes, it's frustrating for people that want HUGE NUMBERS and massively inflate everything so that all the formulas blow up, but it isn't a fail because the developer that wrote the code years ago had different goals and expectations.

Well said. Is there a way that this should be handled to keep original functionality while still avoiding floating points, or is the strain of using floating points now moot due to increased hardware capabilities?

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:15 pm »

Yeah its fine for the time it was written but now it all really should be adjusted.
That is what I am referring to as fail, not the hard work originally put in, but the concept of "Hey lets multiply this shit by some huge ass number then divide it."
Myself if I wanted to Multiple then divide results I would have picked smaller numbers.
The eqemu project might have started out and be driven by peq to emulate eq live but the majority, read all but 2 or 3? servers are custom with big inflated ass numbers.

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:16 pm »

[quoteFor now we reduced the number of dynamic zones available from 250 down to 150. Also changed duration of instances to be 24 hours. Will see if this helps with players getting sent to each others instances][/quote]

Is the 24 hour instance temporary as well?  This doesnt really affect me, but I would hate to be a new-jack first coming into T6, as it took me 2 days to clear that zone when I started.

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »

Yeah its fine for the time it was written but now it all really should be adjusted.

Perhaps, but by who?  It's not a small task and one misplaced number could easily break a ton of stuff.

I would venture to guess that the code, as currently written, works with every spell/weapon currently available on live eq with the exception of things that are not implemented on the emu yet.  If the goal is to emulate eq then this is satisfactory.

Formulas can be changed as issues like this are discovered, but there will still be a limit, and invariably someone will hit it eventually and say it's broke again. Smiley
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:10 pm »

So...still a valid question: now that the instances are reduced in duration by 80%....will we see any reduction in cost? If not, thats pretty brutal for later instances and/or ToFS.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 05:08:24 pm »

It actually wasn't too terrible of a fix. I tested a few things with it, but didn't test incredibly heavy. Paldail in his continually awesome way is testing a few things too.

Pull request submitted to fix this. Hopefully it will make it in the source soon, and it will work CORRECTLY all the time after that (assuming source update). With next source update (assuming this goes through), Blessing of Ancient Oak, T7 Warrior Chestplate, and UW Heals will be 100% functional.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:25 pm »

So...still a valid question: now that the instances are reduced in duration by 80%....will we see any reduction in cost? If not, thats pretty brutal for later instances and/or ToFS.

Possible, just keep me updated how they are working.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »

Just went from Tacvi to Loping Plains by creating a raid instance in tacvi and joining it. I have no raid instances of Loping Plains.

Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »

... went from Loping to a guild named Minesweepers Qvic instance.. /sigh

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 07:36:01 pm »

Well fugitive even the big have to farm qvic from time to time ;p

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:44 pm »

hehe good point

just made a T5 instance "Raid" and guys zone to HoH

-Hate"
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »

Made a HoH instance last night, and went to someone elses PoDragons instance.

I've personally never had problems going into others instances, this is the first time i've seen it happen since you lowered the instance count.
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 08:07:29 pm »

It is happening way more then before now.

-Hate"
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:46 pm »

If someone is in a guild instance and deletes their guild instance.. the next person to make their instance will have a good chance to be sent to that instance if they don't zone out.

I had this same problem when doing DBI for an instance system.. one way to counter it would not allow players to delete an instance if they are in that SAME instance...

So example... you cannot delete guild instance if you are in a guild instance .. ect ect...

Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »

yup

but these were from public zones creating the instances for the 1st time...

-Hate"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6131
  • Latest: appathy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65022