Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:21:28 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Honoring Hunter  (Read 9515 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:41:52 pm »

Ladies and Gents,

This post is both a competition and a memorial to our buddy. Akkadius and I will run a competition for the best video/screenshot/story/etc involving Hunter. It could be the funniest, it could be the most @%^@ed up, or it could simply be "I saw Hunter in lopingplains, he saluted me, then instantly killed me".

The best bit involving our late GM, developer, troll, and friend will be awarded 50 credits.

In honor of our fallen brother,
-Hateborne
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:56:36 pm by hateborne » Logged

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Gannicus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 06:53:49 pm »

This will forever be my favorite.
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:08:50 pm »

lol quaglin that is awesome

Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:09:44 pm »

here is some old emails I got from Hunter, all his words. I emailed him from time to time and he always, always responded. Maybe you guys could read his words and laugh or relate to how he helped you too, helped the server, listened/cared about you as well.

I got the script working already.

Its hard to do discounts or double credit cause there are always people that missed the window
to get that by a day or week or month and end up cursing me out in email.

I have set prices for now, 2 each, 35 for 20, 175 for 100.

Here are some credits for the suggestions, etc. Should help you finish up T5.

this is when I knew Hunter cared about suggestions and really wanted our input, this was that buy your T5 boss flags

Ya, its minor issue. I known about it Smiley

LOL this was about you can make your pet huge in nexus

I don't know what to do too.

I know bandolier can bug out and make you lose items.

I will see if it can be disabled.

somehow I ended up with 2 2hs epics, one in each hand lol

Maybe z server is buggin out.

yeah I don't even know what that is Smiley

I got 10 windows open doing 10 things at once, sorry so busy Smiley

wasn't he always? lol

It is an important glitch, just confused about how to fix it currently.

I believe you that it happened. Now to fix some how.

found a bug one time haha

Fliker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:19:06 pm »

one of the funniest moments i saw
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:01 pm »

Old, long email to Hunter about donations....dont recall what sparked the mail, but liked the reply.

Heya H. Wanted to thank you for listening to recent feedback on tweaking things in game...and thank you for the efforts in general. Even with some of the things I dont agree with, your server is one of my favorite places to spend my gaming time.

Thats why I am sending this email. And I am sending it to you directly rather than posting it because I dont know how you might feel about me publicly making some of these observations and suggestions. And I really hope you will take this in the spirit that its given: a genuine desire to help keep EZ ongoing for years to come! Also, please excuse the text wall....I sometimes get wordy Tongue

I know jack shit about coding an EMU, but what I do know, better than most, is influencing people in terms of a market. The general consensus from people online atm is that the main goal with many of these changes is to increase donations. Please forgive me/us if we're all wrong....but that really seems to be what this is about. And, if so, its completely understandable ....even expected. But if you dont mind an observation I honestly think you are approaching this all wrong.

In a way you can look at donations as a tax. And as with any tax, if the tax is too high you lose revenue. Always, without fail, Its one of the things many governments (which in a way is exactly what you are) fail to understand. There's a point where, if taxes are too high, you lose money, and it rapidly heterodynes out of control. By the same token if taxes are too low you get fantastic growth and consumer spending, but revenues are too low. However, its always safest to error on the LOW side, since the damage is easily fixed and managed in a short period of time, whereas shattering consumer confidence through crippling taxes can destroy an economy for years.

Right now EZ is, in the opinion of many, on that brink. Many people are convinced that without donating for certain rewards the game will become unmanageably difficult or tedious. Need more revenue? Understandable! But consider this: 20 people spending 5 dollars each with your product/service is ALWAYS, ALWAYS better than 1 person spending $100...repeat business is your best marketing tool. There are a lot of people who see some of the bigger cost items such as the free WP click, or a newbie package, or epics, etc as extremely desirable, but who, for wide varieties of reasons cant or wont spend 50 or 100 bucks a pop.

Any time I find a way to give a client a product or service at a lower cost, appealing to a larger number of customers, over a big ticket item I increase revenue. Often dramatically. How you'd implement this, if you decided to do so, is of course your call....but some ideas:

-More alternatives (lower cost, of course) to current donation items. Example? Free waypoint summoner. In addition to the perm 100 credit option, perhaps one thats temporary...monthly, perhaps, at a 5 or 10 credit fee.
-Instead of a newbie package with a full character to 3.0 with all the toys, maybe a lower cost "character rental"...a T3 or T4 character that you can use for X credits per day/week, to allow players to PL their own characters or groups. This would also serve to get em hungry for higher tiers, encouraging gameplay.
-Short term access to an exclusive "farm zone" that allows players to farm charms, armor, essences, SLS, etc, at a cost of X credits per day.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. The goal of course is MORE people donating, AND MORE OFTEN, even if its at a lower amount per transaction. Also....if there's any way at all we can help you find a more effective means of donation that WU, please let us know! Post what parameters you need, and a lot of us will do all we can to help!

Please DO NOT think this is me or anyone else trying to tell you how you should run your business......by all indications its quite successful! But I can only imagine how much costs are increasing for you, and how challenging it can be to keep EZ self supporting. Its just a simple observation of recent trends and polite suggestion. And, as stated, its me wanting to keep EZ going strong! I like it here!

Thanks for your time, and thank you for EZ!

Brickhouse

And Hunters reply:
Oh wow, just woke up and huge email! My eyes omg!

Was up late last night local time here, maybe until 3am playing the new 2013 Sim City. Played with the taxes on that too! lol.

Not really making recent changes to increase donation flow. If I did, then I would have made Heroic Stones immediately for sale on EZ_Rewards NPC, which I probably won't do. Honestly I see view Warrior NPC's as boring. Spells make it interesting. The second half to that is I know people afk stuff, but I know that I shouldn't punish everyone for it too, esp when people can eventually get their resist up again.

Now the resist only become issue at T3+ meaning its almost no change for noobs all the way to T2, except new boss which I hope people find fund cause its rare event and has a TON of items on it like 3 Dragon Class Charms, Charm v1+v2 upgrades, plat, minor/major essence (because people credit they were rare), and some other stuff.

I can see some other points. Maybe not on tax or donation, but making the game too hard, it is a balancing game I'm trying to play. At least people are now aware of ToFS and the items it has to offer like Heroic resist.

I've added resist checks to charm which they didn't have before so now its possible to resist most npc charms. I'll probably scale back ToFS and T3/T4 to have around -800 or -1000 resist so new players would still have to do some farming but not much.

I understand on donation stuff too. Already have some 5 credit items which are popular. Spamming instances is hopefully becoming less of a problem with new tweaks like to ToFS faster respawns, and T3/T4 spells. Still Free Waypoint is way too good item to give away cheap esp when players can just use 1 of them to make instance for whole guild, or even other people that want free instance.

I like the idea of donation items to spend a few credits per day like charm zones. Would take some work, and not sure if others would get jealous. Actually other day just realized on how I could make double loot reward item via code or something. The perl stuff does have a lot of limits so need to get creative.

WU is a pain, we gotta go to the city, maybe 1 or 2 times per week, and collect all at once. Takes time and money to travel. Its best option though currently cause PayPal froze me twice. Still offering BitCoins and now even games/consoles for 3x values.

To sum things up, recent changes in last few weeks have not been with the goal to increase donations, but to make things more interesting, and to always be adding more content. I realize we're on the border of making it too hard for the noobs. I'll see what I can make easier.

Sometimes if I make things more difficulty than intended, then scale it back, people will appreciate the new value more that way than if I make it the difficulty I originaly wanted right away. Hope makes sense. Basically over last few days I keep making things easier and easier, but if I did opposite everyone would complain harder.

Oh yeah, already made Avatars in T3/T4 to be 33% less hp, damage, and regen, to help with the rate of killing them compared to before. My intention is not to nerf players, and make things take longer than they did before, although new item grind is just that, orther content hopefully takes same time.

Still waking up here with just few hrs sleep, drinking my monster now. Read your email breifly. Hopes makes sense.

Hunter

I think this was the most he'd ever said to me up to that point Tongue

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:03 pm »

Haha crazy bugger getting booted by his own anti afk script. :-D

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:33:55 pm »

I don't count on any winnings just FYI!

Here are some of the ones I had.

It's like he knew...

Hunter, scared to update to the recent EQEmu source code because of the crashes and pain he would have to endure.

So I asked him why? (Even though I knew)

Rogean's announcement EQEmu-wide the day we found out...

Here is an E-Mail exchange between the two of us when he needed a UPS, which makes me think now that the UPS he has now was having problems this last week, that's why his father removed it from the wall !

To: akkadius@live.com
Subject: RE: UPS
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:02:55 -0500

Yes, your battery will hack my database =P

To: the_poet_warrior@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:46:48 -0600

You are so paranoid my friend Smiley

Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 20:05:16 -0500

I appreciate the offer. I'll be home in about 1 more month from now, might pick one up locally when I get home.

Probably expensive to ship something heavy too.

Subject: UPS
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 18:58:00 -0600

Saw your post regarding needing a UPS. If you haven't ordered one I have one available that I've had at my desk for about 2 months that was from my old server location. I can part with it for a low amount of money if you want it. Heavy duty for server wattage.

Thanks,
~Akkadius

Here's an E-Mail back in 2010 when the very first instances were brought to life at EZ (Waypoints)

Subject: RE: LDoN Instances
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:35:06 -0700

Lol, I like how you refer to them as users, like they have a drug addiction.

Yes, your instance stuff should be good to go.

As far as fixing Waypoints and such, I would have to go through quite a few steps re-consolidating the scripts and what not. I had to do the same for my server and it actually works out quite well. That would require access to scripts and to be able to spawn entirely new waypoints and relink everything. But I am not going to expect you to make that kind of decision, I've only been here to help.

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:24:51 -0400

Awsome! Just got home and haven't had a chance to look for feed back yet, so your the first. Users are appreciate your help as well.

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 05:46:55 -0700

Popped in myself, looks like the Plane of Fire Instance 1 was partitioning correctly as there was 4 other people in it.

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:20:07 -0400

Initial testing in cshome worked. Now just need feedback from the players.

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:14:39 -0700

How did that work for you by the way?

EZ Server GM
Hampage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:44:16 pm »

I didn't talk with Hunter too many times but I remember sitting in Fugitive's TwitchTV chat watching him destroy T5 and Hunter was in there, didn't even know it was him cause his twitch name wasn't Hunter. I asked him if he could make the Tae Ew Hide backpacks trade able again and he did that, which was awesome.

Over Christmas I was trying to donate some video games to him but the ebay seller flaked out so I went the Western Union route, there was a snafu and Hunter and I ended up emailing back and forth about 20 times. Apparently my name is similar to one on a terrorist watch list (eep!) and Hunter sent me this when I told him that

Secrets

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 03:40:03 pm »

Here's a conversation between me and Hunter ages ago, just shooting the shit. I miss his trollerific attitude. Sad

(10:03:07 PM) Christina: not much. Been messing with mercenary code lately
(10:03:12 PM) Poet: Just woke up too a few min ago
(10:03:33 PM) Poet: You play SC2 new expansion?
(10:03:39 PM) Christina: I have not. Is it any good?
(10:03:43 PM) Poet: Yeah, having fun
(10:03:48 PM) Poet: Terran got super powerful
(10:04:19 PM) Poet: Spidermines can be moved around, and re-used, its like having burrowed banelings
(10:04:24 PM) Christina: oh damn
(10:04:25 PM) Poet: that can re-use with cool down
(10:04:46 PM) Christina: always liked playing zerg over terran
(10:04:49 PM) Message could not be sent because an error with the switchboard occurred:
(10:04:49 PM) always liked playing zerg over terran
(10:04:57 PM) Poet: burrow some spider mines in someones minerals and every 30 seconds or so it splash damange all the workers dead
(10:05:14 PM) Poet: it sends up a missile every 30 seconds or so
(10:05:15 PM) Christina: yah, sounds crazy lol
(10:05:17 PM) Poet: splash
(10:05:55 PM) Poet: People bring them with their marine ball, then when spot the enemy, they burrow like 10 of those mines, attack the enemy, then run back across the mines, whole army dead
(10:06:09 PM) Christina: lol, sounds like a pretty good way to troll people
(10:06:13 PM) Poet: oh ya
(10:06:13 PM) Christina: especially with splash damage
(10:06:20 PM) Poet: no longer have to research siege
(10:06:43 PM) Poet: zerg doesn't need evo chamber for spores now
(10:06:52 PM) Christina: oh damn
(10:06:54 PM) Poet: just need spawning pool, harder to air rush zerg now
(10:07:05 PM) Christina: sounds like terran got a huge buff. might have to play some
(10:07:28 PM) Poet: Protoss can air rush with Cybernetics Core... then make Mothership Core from Nexus real quick and rape minerals within like 4 minutes via air
(10:07:55 PM) Poet: 3 marines beat a Mothership Core though
(10:08:03 PM) Poet: So if you don't have marines, tough luck
(10:08:08 PM) Poet: SC2 now has leveling feature
(10:08:15 PM) Poet: anything you build or kill gives exp
(10:08:20 PM) Poet: I'm like level 57 or something, max level 90
(10:08:41 PM) Christina: oh dang
(10:08:47 PM) Poet: Starts off around 150k per level, and I make 2k exp on a good game where I expand early
(10:08:55 PM) Christina: that sounds grindy
(10:08:57 PM) Poet: errr per minute
(10:08:58 PM) Poet: sorry
(10:09:01 PM) Poet: 2k per minute
(10:09:05 PM) Christina: oh that's not too bad then
(10:09:19 PM) Poet: bad games I make 1k per minute
(10:09:36 PM) Poet: Oh if my teammates quit and leave me with 10k mienrals, I spend it all first, free exp
(10:09:52 PM) Poet: Did you play Leagues?
(10:09:54 PM) Poet: Ladder?
(10:10:06 PM) Christina: Yep
(10:10:24 PM) Poet: I'm assuming you were diamond or master or grandmaster since you are super smart
(10:10:45 PM) Christina: nah, I only played before the ladder, but yeah, I get the idea of the system
(10:10:54 PM) Poet: Oh, joining as Unranked Match puts me in games with Ranked Match of Diamond players then I troll them and they get super mad that I screw with their league win/loss
(10:11:13 PM) Christina: A friend and I did a similar system for a competitive TPS game we were making a private server of.
(10:11:15 PM) Christina: http://i.imgur.com/8N2lQJb.png
(10:11:42 PM) Poet: Ahh cool
(10:11:54 PM) Christina: It works the same way, except you start at bronze and work your way up
(10:11:55 PM) Poet: Well, any time you wanna SC2 let me know. I'm practically playing 12 hrs a day
(10:12:15 PM) Poet: I used to lose games on purpose in order to stay in bronze, then I'd stomp the broze players
(10:12:16 PM) Christina: I'll have to get another acct, my b.net account is pretty much frozen due to missed payments on WoW lol
(10:12:23 PM) Poet: I'd kill my own 3 teammates, then all 4 enemy
(10:12:38 PM) Christina: haha. a game I play called All Points Bulletin has a similar system
(10:12:51 PM) Christina: people purposesly lose games to fight easier opponents
(10:13:03 PM) Christina: I do the opposite... I win as much as I can so I fight armies of unskilled players
(10:13:19 PM) Poet: I had one teammate complaining other day to wall the ramp, over and over for 5-10 min, so finally I killed him. Then with my 2 remaining teammates we steam rolled the enemy, and I said we didn't need that 4 th guy, oh he raged, and tried to team kill me in next 2 random games
(10:13:43 PM) Christina: lol...
(10:13:52 PM) Poet: I used to lose games to fight easier oppenent, and the second I actually start to try, I get diamond quick.
(10:13:55 PM) Christina: http://i.imgur.com/457ud9o.png
(10:14:06 PM) Christina: that's one of my matches I played in APB
(10:14:17 PM) Poet: ya
(10:14:21 PM) Christina: two silver ranked opponents in that game, just steamrolled them
(10:14:29 PM) Poet: Looks like Counter Strike?
(10:14:43 PM) Poet: lol 16-1
(10:15:00 PM) Poet: Do you (or did you) map hack on SC2?
(10:15:03 PM) Christina: lol yeah, it's almost like a online GTA game
(10:15:05 PM) Christina: nah, I didn't
(10:15:18 PM) Poet: I do half the time for lols. People try to cannon rush and I see it.
(10:15:21 PM) Christina: lol
(10:15:24 PM) Christina: http://i.imgur.com/ZxSB55U.jpg
(10:15:30 PM) Christina: that's the rage I cause in that game
(10:15:38 PM) Poet: lol you screenshot the QQ's
(10:15:50 PM) Christina: yep
(10:16:02 PM) Poet: If I did that, my hard drive would run out of space
(10:16:04 PM) Christina: lmfao
(10:16:09 PM) Poet: People rage in chat about me ALL the time.
(10:16:39 PM) Poet: People haxed their level 90 on SC2 Sad
(10:16:44 PM) Poet: But its easy to detect and ban
(10:16:55 PM) Poet: you can't hack resources in multiplayer cause everyones client has to agree.
(10:17:04 PM) Christina: yeah, lol
(10:17:11 PM) Poet: So you make vs AI, and hack your exp earned, then quit the game, and gain 6 levels per match
(10:17:14 PM) Christina: but if all clients agree, yeah
(10:17:20 PM) Poet: nod
(10:17:43 PM) Poet: When someone gets level 9 in like 15 matches, that should be instant red flag for ban
(10:17:46 PM) Poet: err level 90
(10:18:07 PM) Christina: oh I hacked a game publishing company recently on a proxy
(10:18:19 PM) Poet: I wish I had faster internet over here so I could set up my own TwitchTV stream
(10:18:44 PM) Christina: they kind of deserved it though. They don't use session IDs on their cookies, and instead trust that the client's cookie is correct. Bad assumption
(10:18:52 PM) Christina: <redacted image>
(10:19:02 PM) Poet: LOL!
(10:19:14 PM) Christina: To make things better...
(10:19:25 PM) Christina: I logged into their AdminCP because they trust the same cookie being correct
(10:19:30 PM) Poet: HAHAH
(10:19:32 PM) Christina: I restored a backup of their forums from 2011
(10:19:36 PM) Christina: their only backup
(10:19:46 PM) Poet: Yeah, I have to re-type password just for entering my admin CP
(10:19:53 PM) Christina: Yeah they do that too
(10:20:03 PM) Christina: However, you can type 'dicks' and it'll let you in
(10:20:04 PM) Poet: But they trust the cookie?
(10:20:09 PM) Poet: LOL
(10:20:20 PM) Christina: <redacted>
(10:20:58 PM) Christina: probably the best troll I did, like ever
(10:20:58 PM) Poet: Change passwords? What will that do?
(10:21:06 PM) Christina: It won't do anything which is the funny part
(10:21:08 PM) Poet: That is a good one lol
(10:21:22 PM) Christina: They still never fixed it either...
(10:21:30 PM) Christina: They fixed the adminCP, but the modCP still works
(10:21:31 PM) Poet: So their DB should keep record of the proper session ID that the cookie should have?
(10:21:35 PM) Christina: yep
(10:21:37 PM) Christina: however
(10:21:38 PM) Poet: lols
(10:21:42 PM) Christina: they didn't even check the cookie
(10:21:52 PM) Christina: they checked the username and nickname of the account in the cookie
(10:21:53 PM) Poet: So they are still scratching their heads?
(10:21:56 PM) Christina: yeah...
(10:22:11 PM) Christina: It's been 2 months, I should probably compromise it again
(10:22:27 PM) Poet: I used to have hacking fun 10+ years ago, now I just enjoy to maphack and aimbot
(10:22:53 PM) Christina: well, to be fair, this can't even be considered hacking with how blatant their security flaws are lol
(10:23:14 PM) Poet: Once went through EVERY counter strike server 1 by 1 trying to get banend asap with my aimbot/wallhack and sometimes found server with no admin so everyone cried
(10:23:48 PM) Poet: Oh, good memeories
(10:24:35 PM) Christina: sorry, was logging into my VPN
(10:25:20 PM) Poet: I need some troll friends on SC2, more fun
(10:25:41 PM) Poet: I do 4v4's
(10:25:58 PM) Poet: make big army, but never move out, never defend my teammates. They start pinging my units and telling me to help
(10:26:19 PM) Poet: Usually I respond with 모든 기지가 우리에게 속해 있습니다.
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:59 am »

Don't need the credits btw.. just wanted to show how awesome hunter was to me when I would give him info on uber leet exploits.. (lol)

Most of the e-mail won't be show.. because ya.. it was him explaining some other exploits (lol)

Hunter was a badass at rewarding people for doing the right thing for sure!

One funny thing he did was send me a screenshot of the BOT count from his anti-botter code... man he sure was happy when that code caught someone.. it was awesome :p

I'd post the screenshot.. but don't want to publicly shame the person :p

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061