Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:39:11 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Computer buying help!!  (Read 16041 times)
Warriorstack

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:36 am »

Well the time has come.  I think I am going to buy a new computer.  I am currently only able to box 4 with 14fps...  I know it sucks.  

I am looking for suggestions as to what is a decent computer, I want something that I am able to box atleast 6 or more with a decent fps able to support dual monitors is a must (if I can add another video card and get 3 monitors that would be awesome).  I would like to stay about 500-700 dollars.  I am not opposed to building a new one but it has been years since I was following what is good / current.  It be nice to be able to go up to bestbuy or walmart and just buy something to.  Any advice is fine.

Also before everyone says just upgrade your current system, I have 3gigs of ram and cant do more with my motherboard / OS, the hard drive in there is only a 75gig which is almost maxed out.  Like I said its time to upgrade.

If you do post a suggestion can you please post a link so I can look at it.

Thanks in Advance,

Warriorstack
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:38:02 am by Warriorstack » Logged

I've been watching this thread from a distance, for good reason. It's like a hornets nest full of chainsaws and salty baby tears.
kaizen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:22:14 am »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736%20600030537%204021&IsNodeId=1&name=%24500%20-%20%24750

you should be able to 6 box with any of those

i personally like to build them since i have access to Windows 7 keys

i just made a complete system for my friend for $1260 it can box 15 but he is using it for SC2 and other strategy graphics intensive games

Righteous

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »

My company could build you something pretty nice if you want something that is overclocked and has a lot of upgradability.

We recently did a machine for an engineering company that is:

Core i7 4.5Ghz OC, 12GB RAM 2000Mhz OC, 150GB HD 10,000RPM, Quadro 1800 video OC, Blueray, DVD DL +lightscribe, Asus Board supports 24GB ram with USB 3.0 and 6GB sata, win 7 pro 64bit, 3 year guarantee for 1800.00

You could do two GTX 460 fermi for the price of that one quadro card. That's a bit out of your price range but I was just using that as an example. From dell you can get a lot less computer for a lot more money. Check it out http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bsxp803&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&kc=studio-xps-8100

Of course you could always build your own which costs less but honestly we are the next best thing.
tacl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »

ATI cards 5xxx series can support 3 monitors on one video card so no need to go dual cards if want 3 monitors just get the right card could save you money.

i have a gtx460 and 6 boxing it barley puts any strain on the card. the card can down clock like cpu's when not maxed out and it gpu isn't even at full speed and sits under 50% gpu load. imo eq boxing is all about ram and having the cpu power. todays video cards so such overkill for eq.

for a budget if you have a micro center near you. ( in store only deal )
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/0810_AMDbundle.html

basically get a micro atx msi mobo and get a Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition , they have a very high chance of unlocking from dual core to quadcore and that mobo support that function to unlock it. i picked up, one unlocked to quadcore and OC to 3.6 ghz with cheap 15$ cooler. i spent more on the ram then the mobo , cpu and cooler.   got a killer second system for 250$ just popped in a old 500 gig hd and 8800gt in had sitting around.

if you go with something else the i7's are beast for boxing, quadcore with HT ( HT lets 1 core handle 2 application threads so when you look at task manager you see 8 cpu's ) for normal things is overkill but for multiboxing they are amazing.

for hardware info check out hardfoum.com, other people basically ask your same question almost daily and other pick a bunch of parts out and other critique their builds so you can see why this or that is better.  i been building my own system for 14-15 years and i started with this website learning about hardware.
Isaaru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »

Of course you could always build your own which costs less

This.  Ignore everything else he said.

You don't need a company to build you a computer or even overclock one.  I promise you there are plenty of computer gurus in your area who build computers for fun (I'm one of them).  Find one and save some money if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself.

for hardware info check out hardforum.com, other people basically ask your same question almost daily and other pick a bunch of parts out and other critique their builds so you can see why this or that is better.  i been building my own system for 14-15 years and i started with this website learning about hardware.

This.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:10:59 pm by Isaaru » Logged

tacl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:43:29 pm »

ops spelled it wrong, hardforum.com
Warriorstack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:32 am »

Yeah I have no problem putting it together.  Did it for years.  I have just been out of that for years is all.  I dont know what grapic/MB/Power/Etc to get.

I've been watching this thread from a distance, for good reason. It's like a hornets nest full of chainsaws and salty baby tears.
Isaaru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:26:29 am »

Yeah I have no problem putting it together.  Did it for years.  I have just been out of that for years is all.  I dont know what grapic/MB/Power/Etc to get.

When I get back to the office later today I'll whip one up for you.

Warriorstack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 08:44:47 am »

Thanks a ton.  My biggest problem is trying to decide AMD vs Intel.  Then once I think I pick one, I have a problem deciding I5 vs I7 and then the different amd chips.

Thyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 09:22:36 am »

I think the i7s are a huge value for the buck. Also there is just something so satisfying about looking at your performance window and seeing 8 boxes  Smiley

Thyl - Warrior                Hiryu - Ranger
Turbulance - Rogue       Opmeter - Paladin
Epox - Druid                  Traximus - Paladin
Tecon - Enchanter
Atmax - Wixxor
Erigark - Cleric
Phasin - Mage
Otaduke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:00:54 am »

The i7 Intel processor is a work horse if you can fund it, aswesome processor.
Righteous

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:13 pm »

Of course you could always build your own which costs less

This.  Ignore everything else he said.

You don't need a company to build you a computer or even overclock one.  I promise you there are plenty of computer gurus in your area who build computers for fun (I'm one of them).  Find one and save some money if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself.

for hardware info check out hardforum.com, other people basically ask your same question almost daily and other pick a bunch of parts out and other critique their builds so you can see why this or that is better.  i been building my own system for 14-15 years and i started with this website learning about hardware.

This.

You don't know anything about my company or our practices or my expertise. To tell someone to disregard everything someone says seems childish. Especially when talking about someone you don't know.

I am curious to see what you come up with.
Righteous

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »

Thanks a ton.  My biggest problem is trying to decide AMD vs Intel.  Then once I think I pick one, I have a problem deciding I5 vs I7 and then the different amd chips.

AMD cost less to build but are not as efficient. They produce a lot of heat which is more wear and tear on the processor and also hinders overclocking capabilities.

Intel costs more but are a little more efficient. They produce a lot more heat than their predecessors and sometimes a little less than AMD dipending on which socket you use. They can be pushed to speeds that AMD just can't reach.

If you want the best performance than Intel is the way to go. If you are more concerned about budget than AMD is the way to go.

You really aren't getting your monies worth unless you are overclocking if you go with intel. On stock speeds amd performs very close with intel.

Like others have mentioned more cores help a lot with boxing. An i3 is a dual core processor. The i5 clarkdale is also a dual core processor. If you get one of the two get the i3 as it overclocks easily to the i5 performance.

The i5 Lynnfield is a quadcore and so is all the i7 that are on socket 1156. If you are on a budget get the i5 Lynnfield as it can also be overclocked to be comparable with the i7.

Keep in mind you can get a socket 1156 i7 but that is very different from a socket 1366 i7. The cost will be more for the later and it also supports the hex core processors. Also the 1366 has more bandwidth for pci express. Most people would never notice any difference with the two but for intense gaming you would see the difference.

The 1366 uses more power and runs hotter as well so cooling is even more important and that also raises cost unless of course you don't care for overclocking or longevity.

This is all pretty much overkill for the EQ client. Even if you use an i3 you can multibox fairly well with overclocking. I have multiboxed up to six clients before starting to get any lag no problem on an overclocked celeron before. I did it just to prove it could be done not because I like Celerons or anything lol.

Your video card is very important if you want all around good performance save money from the processor and put it into a video card. You will get more from an i5 quad with a bigger video card than an i7 with a lesser card most of the times depending on your habits. Of course if you can afford it you can't beat a good card and the i7.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:09:49 pm by Righteous » Logged
Thyl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »

I agree with most of the post above but I would also note that the i7 have a built in Turbo boost functionality that allows them to dynamically overclock themselves in a sorts when doing intense computations.

Now the degree they do it to is a lot less intesive than you would probably do but it's something to consider if you are worried about damaging the processor or diminishing its overall life.  The most recent i7s (Lynnfield)  turbo a little further than the earlier ones.

Thyl - Warrior                Hiryu - Ranger
Turbulance - Rogue       Opmeter - Paladin
Epox - Druid                  Traximus - Paladin
Tecon - Enchanter
Atmax - Wixxor
Erigark - Cleric
Phasin - Mage
Gnaughty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 02:56:52 pm »

Oh my god you guys nhave some badass machines, I play 6 chars on a two year old dell laptop with 4 gigs of ram a core2duo 1.8Ghz processor and a 8600GT.  I couldnt imagine what eq looks like on your screens.

Poop
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6131
  • Latest: appathy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65020
  • Total Topics: 5057