Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:01:25 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Video Card problems  (Read 20531 times)
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:50 pm »

I will say that I had an issue with EQEmu where I had to replace dsetup.dll with one extracted from the DX9 installer.  This file also gets patched to one that doesn't work by Duxa's

P99 distributes a modified dsetup.dll file to enable their mq2 and showeq detection along with the client hacks they use.  Nothing else would ever modify that file.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:11 pm »

No, none of the direct 3D games work. The dxdiag runs and shows the onboard intel chipset but under Direct 3D acceleration it says not available.
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:29 pm »

No, none of the direct 3D games work. The dxdiag runs and shows the onboard intel chipset but under Direct 3D acceleration it says not available.

Sounds like you're missing video drivers.  You should be able to get them at your motherboard manufacturer website, or possibly here at the Intel website if you know what chipset it is.  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/  Their auto-update utility might work too, but I haven't tried it myself.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:44 am »

Nope, I also tried installing them and it tells me they are all up to date.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:48 am »

I haven't read all the pages and I hate video card problems. Last resort maybe get a new video card? I know you can get some good ones for $30 but then again probably depends how many boxes you want to use. Computers and their parts are becoming so disposable (affordable) these days.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 09:21:09 am »

Yeah Hunter that seems to be the consensus at the moment as I have tried everything I know of and to no end. Hateborne even helped me with some more solutions he knew of but still could not fix it. My issue at the moment is that it is an older computer(About a 6 year old store bought HP from college) and a lot of the other parts are starting to become outdated. My power supply is only 250W so getting a decent card would be an issue as it seems most of them require 400+ these days. I am going to just build a whole new PC so I wont have these problems again for quite some time.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:46 am »

Yes, if your box is over 6 years old, you should def get a new PC.

If we go in that direction, what can we get these days?

I've had 5+ PCs from the retail stores (1995-2002) then eventually started getting custom built PC's and been much happier with them. I end up getting exactly the parts I need, and no junk packaged programs preinstalled on the Windows.

So, getting to the point, how many toons to you box? Are you a 6 boxer? Would a $500 custom PC via some website work? I haven't looked since I got one for SC2 about 1 1/2 years ago so I'm sure specs and prices have changed a lot.

Any experts here can give advise on Price vs Multibox?

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:34 am »

I box 5 toons atm but I want to add another dps or pally. I am going to build a new one, I have a couple people I know who are pretty up to date on this stuff and are going to help me put together exactly what I need. Ive never put together my own computer but it is time to get exactly what I want. I dont think a $500 store bought would do it for me as I want something I wont have to touch for a couple years. Im going to spend about $1000 and just really pimp one out. Any input is welcome if there are any experts who read this.
Kwai

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 10:54:26 am »

I used to go the $1k route and get about 4 years +/- out of those builds (pre-packaged or white box), but after several years and a constant drop in price of components I have finally settled on low end pre-packs that run in the $350 range from Best Buy.  They last about 2 -3 years and when they die it's pretty much a forklift upgrade (replace everything.. except monitor).

As you pointed out the downside is almost always the power supply which I replace with a 400 or 650 watt also from Best Buy at $65 - 100.  Generally, you can negotiate the price of the power supply and/or the install fee of $50 with the manager by paying full price on the box and the video card.  You might have to spend a little extra time in amicable chat time with the store manager, but you can almost always walk away at about $500 for the latest hardware/software.

With one of these setups you probably won't be able to run Skyrim at full graphics, but it will be a pleasant enough experience and the money you save will make it that much more enjoyable.  I run on one now and it handles 12 EZ toons comfortably and 14 with a bit of stress.  Just another angle to consider.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 12:51:50 pm »

Bought mine piece by piece from newegg. I recycled my video card as it is still good. I spent $300 on the processor, motherboard, ram and case. I can run skyrim on max settings and load up 6+ toons and a browser with a flash game going. All at the same time.

Lucadian

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »

I bought a laptop for $500 from Office Depot and I have absolutely no troubles running 6.. Have gotten 8 in before, but haven't gone over that, and I have had no problems. (The laptop screen is ~19" so arguably that is where a good chunk of my money went and it still runs very well.)

Can buy a desktop nowadays from Best Buy for dirt cheap. Nice processor, 1 terrabyte hard drive and like 6 gigs of ram or something for around $500, maybe cheaper. Pukagiz just recently bought a new desktop, he could probably fill you in on some prices and what not.

As Hunter said, computer parts are so disposable anymore it doesn't cost a lot to get a machine up and running for multi-box EQ.

Quote from: Hunter link=topic=2665.msg35063#msg35063 [/quote

You need to have a higher post count like Xiggie or Fugitive.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:36 am »

Best buy in my opinion has always been over priced. Their motto is give them the geek squad and they will pay more. They've even said they are having a problem because they don't go with the low price motto. And I don't mean they sell the good stuff, they just sell the same stuff, over priced. Usually when I have found an item at the same price as somewhere else they have one of those nifty rebate things that makes it that prices. Rebates are there to lure people in with a price and hope you wont go through the harassment it takes to get the rebate.

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 01:11:28 am »

I refuse to do rebates too. If they are going to knock down the price, do it there at the cashier, not 'maybe' 2-3 months down the road in the mail.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 01:14:41 am »

In general, Best Buy is more expensive than buying the same thing via mail order at somewhere like NewEgg, but they do occasionally have some pretty decent sales.  The nice thing is you can go and buy something and have it in your hand immediately even if it is a little more money.

If you are looking to buy something pre-built you can watch sites like http://dealnews.com/ or http://www.techbargains.com/ for some good deals.

Building your own is kinda fun, but it can be a hassle too especially if it is the first time.  If you do go that route you can find samples builds in a lot of places that may make it easier than trying to figure out what will work together on your own.  Some sites where I've seen decent sample builds are http://mmo-champion.com and http://tomshardware.com although there are many more places to find info.  Plus, nothing beats watching a bunch of geeks argue over which processor or video card is better. Smiley

I've had good luck with rebates on tech stuff, mostly from NewEgg, but all things being equal I'd usually avoid them too.
Hurley

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:06 pm »

Thanks for all the input guys, finally got the PC on order today and hopefully it will all arrive by weeks end and I will be up and running by next weekend.  Lets hope this thing lasts me a while as I spent a decent amount on it. I went with the Intel i5 2500k, Geforce GTX 550ti 1GB GC, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM and some other goodies. I think 6 boxing will be plenty easy enough now Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 291