Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 04:09:33 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: New players?  (Read 31559 times)
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 11:36:53 am »

Zolton, most of what i say is in general... not so much you. You are one of the good few that tries to help themself as much as possible. I can respect that

zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 11:46:43 am »

Zolton, most of what i say is in general... not so much you. You are one of the good few that tries to help themself as much as possible. I can respect that

yeah i understand i wasn't aiming my post at you or danny or any one specific. Most thought i posted this as if  wanted every single thing handed to me on a silver platter which is not the type of player i am lol Which is why i posted the way in which i was able to get the things i did. People say that i did good to get to where i am in 2 weeks. But if you factor in that i play 14+ hours at a time for those 14 days you can easilly see how i got there that fast so 14 times 14 = 196 hours divide that by 4 the average number of hours some get to play and you get some where around 49 days. or even 8 hours equals 24.5 days. So i do not think its that strange i got as far as fast as i did do you? Tongue

Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:00 am »

Out of curiosity, do you have a guild?

kaizen

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 12:01:44 pm »

damn that is a lot of play time

you should be able to WIN in a few more weeks
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 12:06:17 pm »

damn that is a lot of play time

you should be able to WIN in a few more weeks

with the right help, yeah maybe

robpickles

Official Lurker of EZ Server

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »

LOL! I wish I had that much free time!

Rob Smiley
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 12:10:39 pm »

Nah i have not messed with guilds as of yet although i did get an invite for a new guild about to start up wanting me to join. And i thought i may join up with them as they seem nice as well as mature players. Some one asked before if i played live? I spent most of my live life in tutorial helping to walk new players through killing quest mobs for them. Although i did level a lvl 70 mage on live i played from time to time i spent most of my time in game helping out the new players. Untill i decided to return to runescape which i did the same thing in helping other players lol I think its one of the reasons i was made a player moderator for runescape.

Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »

I would take the invite to a guild for sure, they will be able to provide the help you are seeking more than likely.

zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 01:45:14 pm »

Also play a female character with a female name. It's a fact that people are more likely to help the cute dark elf than the fat ogre. I learned that the... interesting way XD

Lol, yeah.... just.... yeah haha oh Dany. You make me laugh

Truefax though. Not just EZ but anywhere, Emu or Live Tongue

Blood of the Akkadian
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49:36 pm »

i had an RL friend who did that on live though

random tells to chick characters "Nice ass, wanna make some plat?"
they would either respond with a "Wtf dude, im a guy" or "uhmm no thats gross" or something. But sometimes they'd do it, guy or girl who knows.... but they made some PP and he got screenshots *shrug*

was sad to see

Gantrathor

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »

The repsonse of "help others before you ask for help yourself" is spot on.

My first toon, Arcanum (mage) took me several months reach Plane of Dragons.  Caster Guild quest took a couple weeks.  Granted, I hadn't read the spoiler, so I couldn't jump ahead in the content.  Lots of soloing, and when it came time to do 1.5, 2.0, and 3.0's I started asking people in the zones if they needed help getting pages.  I formed some friendships that way, and I learned the fights.  When it came time and I'd helped enough people, I'd look for em and ask if they could come help me with mine.  They were always willing.  Qvic was a blast when it was a whole group of us still needing the armor and tokens.  Took a month to get eveyone fully geared and flagged for the 3.0 fight.  Oddly enough, the Twinkle Toes fight was almost anti-climactic.  But Qvic had been enough work, we figured we'd earned it.  Wink

If anything, I'd think it would be easier on new players today than it was back then.  When I did Qvic, Anguish was the 'top end zone' of the server and was too buggy.  So there was solid competition for Qvic Spawn while PoDragons was being coded.  And very little rotted, certainly no tokens.

The rally cry should be New Players Unite!  Help each other.  Really work to get through the content.  That's what it's all about anyway.
Thyl

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 10:31:45 am »

The repsonse of "help others before you ask for help yourself" is spot on.

If anything, I'd think it would be easier on new players today than it was back then.  When I did Qvic, Anguish was the 'top end zone' of the server and was too buggy.  So there was solid competition for Qvic Spawn while PoDragons was being coded.  And very little rotted, certainly no tokens.

I agree with these statements.  Here are my thoughts on getting War, Cler, and Rogue 3.0s back when Anguish was the end game zone versus returning and over the last few weeks getting Druid and Wiz 3.0s.  I started righting this with more detail but I'm just going to make it short, well shorter.

I started off with a solo War.  I got some help along the way but always helped more people than I got. Which benefited me as I progressed because I had more people to group with when I needed it.  I made a Druid for heals and a Mage for dps but I played them solo when groups were around cause I wasn't a big fan of boxing.

Server was alot emptier then so there were pluses and negatives:
Positive:
FG/CG camps were more frequently no wait.
Less bottleneck spawns.
People grouped more because fewer people.
Got to play to progress.

Negatives:
Less help from advanced players.
Slow crawls through PoTime and LDoN.
Longer respawn times  (an issue of the era)

I actually took my 2.5 War through Qvic and got him flagged, sometimes grouping with some others who always had 2.5s, or less and healing by my Druid.  I made a Cleric and Rogue after getting 3.0s for War because it was requested by a guild I was joining.

I was kind of pissed when someone asked in OOC if a 2.5 War can effectively tank Qvic. I mean thats the way it was intended. That just kind of shows how different the server is.  People can go through LDoN and Qvic maybe having to kill only two bosses because other players who were looking for maybe just a set of chain boots killed them and left stuff rotting.

I made the Wiz from scratch like a week and some change ago. I obviously had other toons to help me but for a class as terrible at solo playing as Wizard I didnt really need to use my other toons. People are running partial groups through LDoN all the time and pages are always rotting because they are there for points.  In Qvic I could just walk up to a group with less than 6 and say hey I will dps for some tokens or cloth.

As for the CG guild camps the main benefit of my other toons was their abilites, like Druid track and Rogue lock pick.  To be honest I help people with those things all the time if they say in OOC or send a tell while my toons are sitting around.  With Wiz camping most items himself for CG it took about 1.5 sessions of playing. The worst stuff being crappy drop rates and spawn times, not so much waiting in line. I would think if you have 14 hours to play you could find a time to play that is off hours from the majority.

Zolton it seems like you should spend less time asking for help in /ooc and more time getting to know some people by walking up to them and talking or helping people behind you so you have a group.  Keep at it.  I see people all the time in zones lfg.  I myself sometimes only feel like playing 1 toon and join groups rather than 5 boxing.

You can even send me a tell because I usually have a spot open for dps or will drop one my boxed toons for an actual person because its less hassle.

Thyl - Warrior                Hiryu - Ranger
Turbulance - Rogue       Opmeter - Paladin
Epox - Druid                  Traximus - Paladin
Tecon - Enchanter
Atmax - Wixxor
Erigark - Cleric
Phasin - Mage
zolton32

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 01:20:34 pm »

Thyl did you read through the whole thread? I do not always ask for help in /ooc. And i do go out and search for groups and help others when i can. i only ask and have asked for help with things i absolutely could not do myself such as 1.5 book dragon slave as well as the 2.0 book. I am generally quite self sufficent. I am not the lazy type player that constantly begs for help in /ooc. And i do not want or expect every thing to just be handed to me.

Since i got my rangers 3.0's i just kill dragon slave using it then log out and log my alt in to loot. So i do not even ask for help for it now since i can now do that myself. You make it sound like all i do is sit and constantly /ooc for help which could not be the furthest from what the truth is. And if i fail at something and i know i can not do it by myself i then seek out help in the imediate area in the way of groups but if that falls through i ask for help in /ooc. Generally i'd much rather do it myself though as i like knowing that i did it by myself without any aid from others.

Thyl

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 02:03:07 pm »

Thyl did you read through the whole thread? I do not always ask for help in /ooc.
I actually did read most of it. I admit not all, there is alot in this thread to read while I'm at work.  I understand you don't just sit in OOC. The point I was trying to make is you can't single toon this server, you have to box or group and make some lasting ties with people.

Honestly I'm confused about what you want now because your attitude shifted from first post to most recent and even seems contradictory inside some posts.

Generally i'd much rather do it myself though as i like knowing that i did it by myself without any aid from others.

This is kind of a weird comment to make after earlier on complaining about antisocial players. Do you want everything to be soloable?

Are you complaining the server style discourages new players because older players have an advantage?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I am just having a bit of a disconnect. You got 3.0s after two weeks, even with your current playtime thats fairly quick compared to a while ago.

I played a Wiz on live, which I enjoyed, but the first toon I got to 70 here was a War because it met the needs of the situation. You have to at some point adjust your approach to the situation unless everything gets nerfed to being soloable.

Thyl - Warrior                Hiryu - Ranger
Turbulance - Rogue       Opmeter - Paladin
Epox - Druid                  Traximus - Paladin
Tecon - Enchanter
Atmax - Wixxor
Erigark - Cleric
Phasin - Mage
zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 02:55:15 pm »

Generally i'd much rather do it myself though as i like knowing that i did it by myself without any aid from others.

Wait...wat?

>"...Much rather do it myself..."
>Complaining about never getting help from people in original post.
>Contradiction

Pic related: This thread.

Blood of the Akkadian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058